Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

West of Ireland 2015

• 04-03-2015 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

I see entry date has been extended until next Wednesday, are anybody from here thinking of going? Toying with trying the pre qualifier myself but its a bit of a commitment given the possibility of weather being crazy!

Who do people fancy for this? Surely Moynihan will be hard to beat?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Could be anyone really ? Jack Hume has to be worth a dart. He was fantastic last year!

If my boy K-Mac enters. I'll throw a euro his way like I've done every year for the last 10 years. I'm pot committed now, so I can't back out now ;)

Gorfield playing this year ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

shabalala wrote: »
    I see entry date has been extended until next Wednesday, are anybody from here thinking of going? Toying with trying the pre qualifier myself but its a bit of a commitment given the possibility of weather being crazy!

Who do people fancy for this? Surely Moynihan will be hard to beat?

Yeah I am going to play I hope, glad they extended the date because I know a few lads that had trouble trying to register.

Doubt I will make the main draw so it'll be pre qualifying for me

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Ill be making the trek this year alright, was really disappointed to miss last year, but hopefully il find some bit of a game in the next 4weeks so not to disgrace myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

For those entering and playing are you happy with the existing format of 36 hole stroke play qualifying and matchplay then deciding the top 64 players over a further 6 rounds of golf? It's a torterous amount of golf over 5 days for those making the final stages and often in cold, wet and windy weather given the time of year.
    Granted match play is a great format and a game upon itself but the element of anything can happen usually does and (I believe) increases the element of luck in deciding such a major championship. Would a straight stroke play tournament either over 72 holes or more with a cut not be more favourable? Suppose looking at the history of the event and past champions there has been some notable and repeat winners so perhaps matchplay is indeed best.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

I am heading down. No expectations but love playing in it for as long as I am able to

• Advertisement

Suppose looking at the history of the event and past champions there has been some notable and repeat winners so perhaps matchplay is indeed best.

Matchplay is always best! :)

Rikand wrote: »
    Matchplay is always best! :)

Are you going to give the qual a go this year? Last time you did i had a nice week so......

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭J6P

Entered off .6 hoping to make the main field. Won't bother with the qualifier if I'm stuck in it as hotel costs and time off work just ends up being too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Dr Devious

I'm looking forward to see how the new holes play, the third a par 5 won't be a drive a and a iron any more, or if it is it'll be a bloody good iron.

J6P wrote: »
    Entered off .6 hoping to make the main field. Won't bother with the qualifier if I'm stuck in it as hotel costs and time off work just ends up being too expensive.

Very doubtful if that gets in, the annoying thing is you wont get your entry fee back as you go into the qual draw which is non refundable......

• Advertisement

Are you going to give the qual a go this year? Last time you did i had a nice week so......

You'll have to win without me this year. A few mates were egging me on to have another go but I'd never get the time off work.

I do intend to have another go sometime for sure, just wont be this year ;)

Very doubtful if that gets in, the annoying thing is you wont get your entry fee back as you go into the qual draw which is non refundable......

What do you reckon the cut off will be for the main draw?

What do you reckon the cut off will be for the main draw?

No idea tbh, but usually around 0.0- 0.2 id be guessing?

No idea tbh, but usually around 0.0- 0.2 id be guessing?

Thanks. I will be tight so

I'm purely guessing in fairness but its usually safe to say itll be around that?

Phew.....???

Scraped In

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

Well gorfield are you worth a punt at 33/1?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Once is enough to delete it thanks.

We don't have punts anymore, we have euros....

• Advertisement

The player pack which has the timesheet for both the qualifier and the main event

https://www.golfnet.ie/Events/GUI/Players%20Pack%20-%20Complete.pdf

Not too sure, thought id be lower odds so i suppose its decent value!
    Some one told me last night that in my last 24 matches in rosses pt, in all comps ive only lost 3! Was news to me but hes right, il have a small dabble myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

I have always wanted to go the west for a look and this year is the year. Young lad from my club is playing in it too.
    Managed to talk the other half into a one night break in sligo. She's heading off to meet a friend in town on saturday : )
    As I said I have never been to the west or to rosses point so just wondering whats the story? I have been to a few professional tournaments alright
    Please excuse my ignorance
    Do you have to pay in?
    Are there ropes?
    What will spectator numbers be?
    Is it a good day out?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Dr Devious

No payment at the west, all is free, biggest crowd is for the final otherwise its scarce enough. The only time you would see a bit of a crowd is when you have a potential star in the making like McIllroy, no one like around in irish golf circles at the moment that I'm aware of. Basically turn up and wander around the course at your own leisure and follow whoever you want. Stand at the 3rd tee you have 3 holes to see at the point, 2nd, 3rd par 3 and the 18th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Dr Devious wrote: »
    No payment at the west, all is free, biggest crowd is for the final otherwise its scarce enough. The only time you would see a bit of a crowd is when you have a potential star in the making like McIllroy, no one like around in irish golf circles at the moment that I'm aware of. Basically turn up and wander around the course at your own leisure and follow whoever you want. Stand at the 3rd tee you have 3 holes to see at the point, 2nd, 3rd par 3 and the 18th.

That's exactly it. 3rd is a great spot if you're a first timer. My favourite spot is behind the 7th tee box - you'll see approaches into the 6th & 14th greens and drives from the 7th and 15th tees.

I've been to loads of them over the years - Shane Lowry in 2008 was great.

One bit of advice....it doesn't matter what the weather looks like when you leave your hotel/BB the morning of, make sure you wrap up well!

Loire.

Thanks for the advice lads. Weather looks like it might pick up for the weekend so looking forward to it : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭shabalala

Forecast is for wind.... and there's nobody better in the wind (i have played with him a bit) . So if the wind keeps up that's where my money is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Anyone know who got through from todays qualifier round?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

1st Gary McGrane (1) The Royal Dublin 72
    2nd David Kelleher (1) Portmarnock 72
    3rd Daniel Brennan (0) Shannon 73
    4th Harry Gillivan (3) Westport GC 74
    5th Shane McDermott (1) Co. Cavan GC 74
    6th Greg O'Mahony (1) Lee Valley 75
    7th Ryan O'Doherty (2) Enniscrone GC 76
    8th Dale Jackson (1) Massereene GC 76
    9th Jamie Fletcher (1) Warrenpoint GC 76

from IrishGolfDesk

• Advertisement

Good scores tbf. conditions werent great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Keano wrote: »
    1st Gary McGrane (1) The Royal Dublin 72
    2nd David Kelleher (1) Portmarnock 72
    3rd Daniel Brennan (0) Shannon 73
    4th Harry Gillivan (3) Westport GC 74
    5th Shane McDermott (1) Co. Cavan GC 74
    6th Greg O'Mahony (1) Lee Valley 75
    7th Ryan O'Doherty (2) Enniscrone GC 76
    8th Dale Jackson (1) Massereene GC 76
    9th Jamie Fletcher (1) Warrenpoint GC 76

from IrishGolfDesk

Any means of seeing the scores of all 95 pre-qualifiers? Co. Sligo doesn't appear on howdidido and can't find much bar the top 9 scores on Co. Sligo's webpage.

Any means of seeing the scores of all 95 pre-qualifiers? Co. Sligo doesn't appear on howdidido and can't find much bar the top 9 scores on Co. Sligo's webpage.

https://www.golfnet.ie/news/gui/180/Lead%20qualifiers%20manage%20just%2072%20at%20the%20West

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lads,

Don't know much about the West - except top end of stuff. Big winners over the years.

Don't mean anything bad - but would you not have to be able to shoot below say 85 in anything - to even consider going out there ?

Or do people go - to tick it off a list - sort of a life ambition thing ?

At the same measure - 77 was a great score in them conditions and it didn't even qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Lads,

Don't know much about the West - except top end of stuff. Big winners over the years.

Don't mean anything bad - but would you not have to be able to shoot below say 85 in anything - to even consider going out there ?

At the same measure - 77 was a great score in them conditions and it didn't even qualify.

Stroke play in those conditions is a bit of a lottery. My younger brother tried this year, playing off one, and all he could manage was an 84. He could only manage to get 9 holes practice in the evening before. He just said he isn't used to playing in such windy and wet conditions on a difficult course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Lads,

With your recent success, I think you should start a new thread Fix...."My Quest for the West" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Loire wrote: »
    With your recent success, I think you should start a new thread Fix...."My Quest for the West" :pac:

Don't joke about that :)

PARlance wrote: »
    Don't joke about that :)

As I hit almost 8,000 posts - I think we have all had enough of that. :D:o

No, but - is it not for lads say - well able to pay to scratch.

I would genuinerly be very embarased to head over there and be in the mid 80s ?
    Now in saying that - a hard links on a hard day - most amateurs have a 90 in them.

I must go and watch a bit more amateur golf. I did go to some stuff - but you tend to go out to watch the high end stuff.

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Stroke play in those conditions is a bit of a lottery. My younger brother tried this year, playing off one, and all he could manage was an 84. He could only manage to get 9 holes practice in the evening before. He just said he isn't used to playing in such windy and wet conditions on a difficult course.

I'd say that is it Yaya - it is one thing having a 72 on your home course - then going out to that stuff.

I play in crazy conditions - and you are at least 6 shots off your handicap in it.

Then to add a big links from back in bad conditions.

That was a great score from your brother - was he happy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I'd say that is it Yaya - it is one thing having a 72 on your home course - then going out to that stuff.

I play in crazy conditions - and you are at least 6 shots off your handicap in it.

Then to add a big links from back in bad conditions.

That was a great score from your brother - was he happy ?

I wouldn't say he was happy but he he said he would have needed a lot of luck to shoot a score that qualified. He normally has a very high ball flight so he just said he needs more practice at playing links golf. He was definitely not embarrassed to shoot 84.

• Advertisement

I suppose if you have an ambition to do something - and you do it , you are not the type of person who cares what someone else thinks.

Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Why is the West held in such prestige lads?
    Seems that there's much more talk, buzz, respect etc for it?
    Maybe that's my Mayo bias but I never hear a whole pile about the East, and just a little bit more than that about the South.

As I hit almost 8,000 posts - I think we have all had enough of that. :D:o

No, but - is it not for lads say - well able to pay to scratch.

I would genuinerly be very embarased to head over there and be in the mid 80s ?
    Now in saying that - a hard links on a hard day - most amateurs have a 90 in them.

I must go and watch a bit more amateur golf. I did go to some stuff - but you tend to go out to watch the high end stuff.

If you pretty much only play parkland golf, it's a definite learning experience trying to play links afterwards. I know from a friend of mine who is a good good player, but it has taken him a long time to adjust to playing links. Especially tournament conditions links. it's a different ballgame entirely.

*tick*

but mostly I went for the experience. To really see where my game was at. As it worked out, I developed a massive in-to-out swing on the day that caused me to miss everything right, but it was a great experience and I learned a lot about myself as a golfer after that....

Maybe that's my Mayo bias but I never hear a whole pile about the East, and just a little bit more than that about the South.

Probably the variability in conditions combined with it occurring over the Easter weekend. Plus, you'll always hear me boost about it as being awesome, being one of the more vocal members on this forum and being a proud Connacht man! :D

18th hole playing short today....

That's Gary McGrane's tee shot on the 18th. Just off the edge of the green.

https://twitter.com/2015woig/status/583942702351437825

If I had taken up putting instead of Boards - I'd be in west. :D

Must have been fantastic to play with Rory or even play with him.

http://www.irishgolfdesk.com/west-of-ireland-championship/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Maybe it's to do with kicking off the season in earnest for most guys, the first big one and all of that?

I have caddied down there before and was down for the semi final and final last year as a friend was playing. This is a championship course set up in championship conditions with the weather at the lap of the gods.

If you can't control your ball in the wind you risk racking up big numbers. Most of the top guys are all + handicaps nowadays as well. There is a huge difference between a guy off scratch and someone off +2 or +3 at that level.

What I noticed most is they are by no means tearing the course apart but they are able to keep a score going with their short games and most of them are such good putters when it gets to the latter stages of the matchplay.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Maybe it's to do with kicking off the season in earnest for most guys, the first big one and all of that?

I have caddied down there before and was down for the semi final and final last year as a friend was playing. This is a championship course set up in championship conditions with the weather at the lap of the gods.

If you can't control your ball in the wind you risk racking up big numbers. Most of the top guys are all + handicaps nowadays as well. There is a huge difference between a guy off scratch and someone off +2 or +3 at that level.

What I noticed most is they are by no means tearing the course apart but they are able to keep a score going with their short games and most of them are such good putters when it gets to the latter stages of the matchplay.

What I was a little sad about at Irish Amateur - was how it was just a young mans game.

I know they are the future - but am I right in saying (90%) - are young guys with the time to put the effort in , students etc maybe below 25.

It is not like GAA - where you have normal guys , who work etc down there.

Maybe I got that wrong ?

What I was a little sad about at Irish Amateur - was how it was just a young mans game.

I know they are the future - but am I right in saying (90%) - are young guys with the time to put the effort in , students etc maybe below 25.

It is not like GAA - where you have normal guys , who work etc down there.

Maybe I got that wrong ?

The advantage for the GAA is that matchday is one day.... whereas for the Golfers, it's 4-5 days. So Naturally students/ those under 25/30 are the ones who have a significant percentage of the population. But there are still plenty of guys over 30 who work and go to these things. Eddie McCormack would be one, Our own Gorfield here would be another. A couple of mates of mine, their holiday days are when they go to these championships and then don't take "actual" holidays at all ,lol :)

Rikand wrote: »
    The advantage for the GAA is that matchday is one day.... whereas for the Golfers, it's 4-5 days. So Naturally students/ those under 25/30 are the ones who have a significant percentage of the population. But there are still plenty of guys over 30 who work and go to these things. Eddie McCormack would be one, Our own Gorfield here would be another. A couple of mates of mine, their holiday days are when they go to these championships and then don't take "actual" holidays at all ,lol :)

I have to say - I admire those guys way more.

Well - I admire all in it - but you get me.

I've seen how hard this game is to get to any sort of level . Doing that stuff is crazy level 10.

• Advertisement
Advertisement