Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice: Writing a song for artist, how to present it

Options
  • 28-01-2015 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I have the opportunity to write a song for an established classical singer. My question is, do I have to record a demo of the song and send it to the artist? Or am I required to send the lyrics/sheet music etc? Whats the norm in this situation...would greatly appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I have no experience in that area but maybe an opinion can help.
    If that was me I would like to hear a demo while following on the sheet. That would give me a better idea. But the sheet music comes second.
    Hope that helps.

Edit: definitely needs the lyrics. They are going to give it a shot, you dont want them to have to write down the lyrics themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

If it's a classical singer they will probably just need the score and lyrics. Ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 songman

juicytasty wrote: »
    I have the opportunity to write a song for an established classical singer. My question is, do I have to record a demo of the song and send it to the artist? Or am I required to send the lyrics/sheet music etc? Whats the norm in this situation...would greatly appreciate any advice.

If it were me I would probably provide sheet music and lyric sheet and a simple recording... Maybe piano and voice. No need for a studio demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 juicytasty

Thanks a million lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mart1977

In my own experience. These days people seem to have a little less imagination when getting 'demos' and 'roughs'. 10-20 years ago, when studios costed a fortune, a rough guitar and vocal recording into a tape recorder may have been enough for someone to use their imagination for what the song could become with their voice and a good production - but with the way technology and studio recording has become so accessible and cheap its almost expected that a song is presented as a very fleshed out production with a decent vocal. Its whatever gives you the best chance of getting the song accepted by the artist at the end of the day!

• Advertisement
Advertisement