Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your first sporting memories.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

USA 94.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Christ I feel so old reading this thread :(

kfallon wrote: »
    Christ I feel so old reading this thread :(

Aww :(

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

I remember watching the international rules when I was about 6 or 7 I'd say, cause I got to sit up in the windows of the classroom with the 5th and 6th class lads, there was only about 90/100 in the school at the time, I think it was 2000. It's funny the things you remember! :)
    The next thing is playing an under 8s hurling match, I was only 6 at the time playing corner back, and we had a great win against a neighbouring club, weird how I still remember it too! :D

Not as old as thebaz tho ;)

• Advertisement

kfallon wrote: »
    Not as old as thebaz tho ;)

But not as young as me :D

My first memory of playing sport was winning the u/8 city league, the final was a one sided affair and we won by 5 goals to nil........in hurling :D

But not as young as me :D

Yeah ok, you made your point :mad: :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

John Treacy winning silver at the Olympics 1984. First football memory was 1985 Cup final when United beat Everton.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Watching the penalty shootout in the Ireland v Romania game in the 2nd round of Italia '90 - I was 6 at the time.

• Advertisement

First full World Cup match I watched in Mexico '86, twas on a Saturday evening if I remember correctly and I settled down with me Da and brothers to watch it armed with a packet of Tayto and some kind of nutty bar :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

All Ireland hurling final 1996.

I distinctly remember being in Gorey for the homecoming that night and back then I was never any good at measuring crowds but there must have been 1 million people around the place. The following day in school wearing the Wexford jersey in and getting a photo taken with the Liam McCarthy Cup, and getting a bottle of pop and a packet of crisps for the occassion. Then in the local that evening when the local members of the panel were down signing autographs and my then baby brother got a picture taken of himself sitting in the Bob O'Keeffe cup.

Oh the memories :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Donegal losing to Galway in the 83 All Ireland SF, the dirty dozen beat them in the final. First match watching Donegal live was the same Dublin team robbing us of a draw in a league match and the manager running onto the pitch and "consulting" about the decision that robbed us!

Soccer, 2 European Cup Finals, 84 and Heysel. First Irish memory was Stapleton scoring a fantastic header against Belgium, WC Semi Finalists in 86 and a 2-2 draw, start of the 88 qualification campaign. Also Lawrenson scoring against Scotland but the cameras missed it!

Barely remember Platini in 84 but do remember the hand of God in 86, couldn't understand why a pub in Rossnowlagh was so packed and went mad over an Argentinian goal! :D

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SlyBacon93

Zidane's goal against brazil during the 1998 world cup final.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Desert Orchid winning some race. It was in 1988 and my mam let me back Desert Orchid. Remember jumping on the couch, shouting at the tv and being happy as Larry when it won.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

Michelle Smith winning gold at the 1996 olympics, I was only 5 and can remember the father picking me up and going mad celebrating .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I think I remember the talk of it more than I actually remember it.

Finally a thread that makes me feel young :D

I wasn't even born in 1990

>_>

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Italia '90, don't remember much about it except for the Irish team songs and my uncle giving my brother an Italia '90 football

Remember USA 94 much better, anyone else remember the posters super valu gave away with all the different players on them, and the flip up cards of all the Irish team members that came in packs of kelloggs cereals?

lol, had the posters. So did Dougal from Father Ted.

They looked ridiculous, remember? A terrible photoshop of it's time, the player/s were based on a pitch background or something because it looked way out of whack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

wrote:
    Heysel:D

Hope you're proud of that one as a Liverpool fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Watching Sonia O'Sullivan in the Sydney Olympics. Was 6!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

I can't remember and i won't be guessing either for the sake of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Tipperary winning the 1987 Munster Hurling Final replay, a first provincial title in 16 years. Richard stakelums "the famine is over" speech after he lifted the cup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Buying a packet of Barry McGuigan crisps and sending away the coupon to join his fan club. I had no absolutely no interest in boxing but I liked the crisps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

My da taking me to see Armagh get thumped by Down in Newry when I was a wee fella and him tellin me to shut up because I was shouting "Up the 'RA" over and over. I thought it meant "Up Armagh."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Namlub wrote: »

>_>

Bastard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Around 88/89 waiting for a table in a restaurant in Mallorca and they sent us to the bar next door until the table was ready. They had mud wrestling on the TV :D

>_>

Get out.

>_>

Well you missed all the good stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

running in the 60 metre sprint as a 4 year old in the school sports, coming near the finish line, looking over my shoulder and realising I was going to win! 35 years later still have that gold medal at home.
    Mikey Sheehys goal in the 1978 AI final against Dublin, pure class....

• Advertisement

baz2009 wrote: »
    Watching Sonia O'Sullivan in the Sydney Olympics. Was 6!

Are you Thebaz's son by any chance? :pac:

Advertisement