Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inspiron Mini 9 Released

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

I think it looks fantastic, would be great to know how the battery performs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Terrible price. I was expecting this to be a game changer, but as it stands they've just handed the market to Acer, MSI etc.

What make it even more galling is the fact that they're offering it for $99 dollars when you buy a studio 15 (which I've just bought)or XPS in the states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

As i have mentioned on another thread, is it just a rebadged Asus 901? It seems to be a similar set up, also will it support SDHC?

Any mention of the ssd hdd configuration? I am put off the 901 having seperate 4GB(Master) and another seperate 8GB PCIE internal drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Col_Loki wrote: »
    I think it looks fantastic, would be great to know how the battery performs.

Specs are OK, but the price lad??? I was expecting somewhere between €200 and €250 to make it a sure fire netbook beater.

Specs are OK, but the price lad??? I was expecting somewhere between €200 and €250 to make it a sure fire netbook beater.
    Come on, Dell's second name is not Vincent. :rolleyes:

I expected it to be around e400 MK, it may win on styling, like to see one in the flesh first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Alot of people were expecting the dell - given Michael Dell's criticism of other netbook prices- to start off around the €200-250 Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

I expected it to be around e400 MK, it may win on styling, like to see one in the flesh first.

You're right, its not Vincent, its Saul :D

Nay lad, my line of thinking was that I'd prefer for Dell to perhaps drop some of the specs and bring the price down to something that you go out and impulse buy.

For the setup it has at the moment, 4 ton is about right, but it will only share the market now and not dominate it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Meh, i can't say i was expecting it to be cheaper tbh, but the specs just dont cut it. I was actually just about to head off and buy an advent 4211, think i might go with it, even after seeing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I was waiting for the Dell to come out...and then hoping the Asus 1000H might drop in price and get that :)

The Dell is 349 dollars here in the US (if you go with Ubuntu) and 399 for XP Home (after discount).

You're right, its not Vincent, its Saul :D

Nay lad, my line of thinking was that I'd prefer for Dell to perhaps drop some of the specs and bring the price down to something that you go out and impulse buy.

For the setup it has at the moment, 4 ton is about right, but it will only share the market now and not dominate it.
    It would only draw my immediate interest if it had a built in SIM card reader for mobile internet, a 12GB at least master SD chip and not this 4 + 8 SD chip system used on the EEEPC 900 / 901 platforms. It looks to me that they are using the exact same motherboard as the EEEPC 901 so they are working off a very tight profit margin hence the same price.

I wonder what the delivery time is on these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 dpower

Thirdfox wrote: »
    The Dell is 349 dollars here in the US (if you go with Ubuntu) and 399 for XP Home (after discount).

The Ubuntu version doesn't seem to be available here. Maybe when it comes available the thing will be cheaper. As it stands, 400 is just too much. willing to pay 350. A little disappointed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What make it even more galling is the fact that they're offering it for $99 dollars when you buy a studio 15 (which I've just bought)or XPS in the states.

That's a pretty good deal. If they had that offer here and I was buying an xps or studio, I would definitely get one too.

dpower wrote: »
    The Ubuntu version doesn't seem to be available here. Maybe when it comes available the thing will be cheaper. As it stands, 400 is just too much. willing to pay 350. A little disappointed.
    Wait for the 4 or 8 Gig Linux version, it should be less than e350, Remember that XP and what ever else is loaded would be about 30% of the cost of this thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Threads merged.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

3 hours out of the battery sounds pretty good to me, and the lack of a fan is also a plus. Price is a bit high, but it does make a tempting proposition away from the eee 901.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

lads my brother is getting a laptop off work , would you reccomend this or the advent ? ( must be sold of irish vendor due to ex.vat)

Both have pro's and con's, it's really up to the buyer, i'm torn between the 2 at the mo.

Both have pro's and con's, it's really up to the buyer, i'm torn between the 2 at the mo.

I think the DEll has a higher quality glossier screen (Some people prefere the standard screen). I am going to upgrade shortly from the 900 and am deciding between the 901 and the Dell, only thing holding for the 901 is that I have an additional extra long life battery and the makings of a car adapter. I am also assured that the 901 works well with the SDHC cards, unlike other sub notebooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,063 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

would be good if you could get it cheap when you bought a normal laptop, but no sign of anything like this on the dell site yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im surprised nobody is talking about the 3G chip in this. No longer to you need to have one of those stupid USB modems dangling off your laptop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Do Pcworld stock all dell models instore ? I.E the mini 9?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I've been waiting for this too. The only thing stopping me is the pathetic 8GB SSD hard drive. Way too small. I think I will wait until a further iteration of this with a better HD...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Tallboy, if you go to order from Dell.ie itself a 16Gb SSD you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Doodah7

JackieChan wrote: »
    Tallboy, if you go to order from Dell.ie itself a 16Gb SSD you get.

True but it is still too small. With Acer Aspire One it is a 120GB HD and the Advent has 80GB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

Incredible... $349 in the US (€244 at todays rate) and 399 here in Ireland.... a whopping €150 ($213) more to buy it here in Ireland.

It is also cheaper to buy it in the UK, Germany and France!! There is something wrong there....

I did want one of these, just for use when travelling, but now I think I will look at the Acer Aspire One or an older Eee PC.

mj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I didnt realise theres a 3G chip in the new Dell from Dell.ie!!

How would that work with the existing o2 modem? Do I just take out the sim card and put it into the Dell somewhere?

I ordered one last night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

Overheal wrote: »
    Im surprised nobody is talking about the 3G chip in this. No longer to you need to have one of those stupid USB modems dangling off your laptop!

Does anyone have a link to a spec where it lists the 3G chip as part of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Trotter wrote: »
    I didnt realise theres a 3G chip in the new Dell from Dell.ie!!

How would that work with the existing o2 modem? Do I just take out the sim card and put it into the Dell somewhere?

I ordered one last night!

I think the 3G model is supposed to be a vodafone only deal. Based on what little info I've seen it may be a special model due a few weeks from now for Vodafone (UK only at the moment I think). You have to signup for vodafone 3g package of some sort. I may have misread it at the time.

It looks like the Dell Mini 9s from Dells own site won't have the 3G option. The mind boggles really but thats business for you.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09/04/vodafone_dell_deal/
    And it'll be the only carrier to do so. It has the European carrier exclusive on sales of the Small, Cheap(ish) Computer with a built-in HSDPA modem.

That's an accessory notably absent from Dell's own website this morning, despite the fact that the vendor's own support site reveals the SCC has a user-accessible slot for just such a device.

Advertisement