Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EEE PC 900 Linux Recovery Disk

• 16-07-2008 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭

Hi lads

i've lost my Asus EEE PC 900 Linux recovery disk. Does anyone have one that they could copy and send to me ? I will of course cover the cost of the disk and postage.

If you can help I'd be very grateful.

Regards

XDA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Stamen

Check your PMs. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Is there such a thing as a Windows recovery disk as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭XDA

Yes, the ones which ship with XP come with an XP Recovery disk (its actually a DVD i believe). Ironically, if you're not too concerned about copyright etc, you can find torrents for those if you do a bit of looking ...

XDA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭rinnin

Sorry for hoppin in on this guys but thinking of getting an EEE PC (900) for my Ma for the kitchen.
    How do you do a restore / recovery on these if there's no CD drive?
    The whole house are MacUsers so wouldnt be able to link to a Windows machine if thats required.
    Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭rinnin

Thanks qwertz but I'd be wanting to restore the original Linux software onto it from a Mac.
    Looks like will have to go buy an external CD-ROM then? :rolleyes:

Do you have a desktop PC?

Edit: Sorry, just saw the Mac bit. It might be more economic to buy an external 5.25" enclosure and "borrow" a DVD drive from one of the Macs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

rinnin wrote: »
    Thanks qwertz but I'd be wanting to restore the original Linux software onto it from a Mac.
    Looks like will have to go buy an external CD-ROM then? :rolleyes:

Will the Mac not read the disk you have the original Linux software on or USB stick? If it does, I can't see why adapting the information the 3rd link qwertz gave you wouldn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

It's a simple method of copying the content from the cd onto a usb or sd card, then make sure that media is bootable in the BIOS.

Bingo, it'll work just like a CD-ROM would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

From what I've been reading, just copying the files from a CD-ROM unto an SD card, and making the PC SD-bootable isn't enough. The card has to have a bootsector area, which requires a utility to create, like the HP bootable flash utility I see referred to a lot.

There is a lot of information easily gotten through google. It's not something I need, so I haven't delved deeper, but it looks simple enough (may be complicated by the user above having a Mac though). The links qwertz gave above are good starting points for anyone wanting to do it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement