Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation needed: Something mobile but reasonably powerful

Options
  • 03-11-2008 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭

Have a 4yr old Inspiron (it's very heavy and really need to get rid of it) which I haven't used in a year.

In the last while, I've just made more personal use of my work laptop at home, which is a Latitude D630. I can really have no complaints about this machine - very light (2.31kg / 5.1lbs) and a nice size (337mm x 238mm x 27.6 - 32.3mm). Also, its very very fast, and has never crashed on me or broke, despite all I inflicted on it.

However, would now like something similar (or better?) to call my own.

So, need a mobile home Windows laptop for:

1) Web Browsing,
    2) Video / Music playing,
    3) Games? Not so much however would play a lot of Football Manager, and this can be quite RAM intensive; whereas the video card would not be as important for this.
    4) Mobility is absolute key - will be carrying it back forth between Ireland and UK a fair bit.

Key points:
    • Weight & screen size: Similar to the Latitude above, or smaller
    • Memory: As much as is affordable!
    • Storage: At least 80GB min I guess.
    • Internal Wireless (natch)
    • DVD
    • Card slot for my T-Mobile 3G card
    • Integrated microphone would be nice (but not a deal-breaker if unavailable)
    • Software: Don't need extras like MS Office or any commercial AV software. Much prefer to use the free stuff like Openoffice, Comodo etc...

Looking to spend online at most 880 euro / 700pound. Any ideas, boardsies? Is the above do-able at that budget?

Advertisement