Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cashing in on your future corpse

Options
  • 17-11-2011 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭

So I'm watching Stephen Fry in America on BBC Four and he's after being in some "university" where they leave human corpses out in the open to learn from their natural decaying state for doing autopsies.

Just wondering, how much would it take for you to sign over your body that after you die, a similar institution would own your remains?

No burial for your family, but cash upfront for you to splurge/keep the wolf from the door while you're alive.

For me? Ten grand. :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Ten grand eh? You fancy big fancypants.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Ah, the Knoxville body farm.

Ten grand sounds about right. Sooner that than find out I'd been sold for parts without my knowledge, and had my bones swapped out for pipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Half a curlywurly and a packet of love hearts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

RichieC wrote: »

You're so cheap. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

10 grand for a body that they'll get in ( depending on age ) maybe 40 or 50 years ?

Sounds like a poor deal for the university.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

a diet pepsi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I'd do it for a grand no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

RichieC wrote: »

Deal PM your address so i can send them on and i know where to pick up the body.
    Oh and if you can PM me right before you die as well to let me know you need pickup that would be good too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

can someone seriously make money out of this ? is there a market rate for selling your body after you pass away?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Free, I'm a fan of science, let them use my body as they wish when I'm not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

What if a necrophiliac offered you the ten grand to have use of your body after you die?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Yeah, I'd do it for free too.
    It would have to be okay with my family though.

Edit: Referring to original question, not the corpse sex one! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Did it mention in the documentary what the current going rate for a body is?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

psychward wrote: »
    can someone seriously make money out of this ? is there a market rate for selling your body after you pass away?

Depending on what kills you and the condition it's in, the tissues and organs of your body can be sold an awful lot of money once you're stripped for parts. There's some debate over figures, and it increases all the time as they figure out how to recover more from you, but the last figure I heard was around $80,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

George Hook is doing it - seriously.

I read somewhere we trade stiffs with medical schools in Scandinavia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Only if they did strange science with it like sending my cadaver on a theme park roller coaster tour of the USA.

Or dropping it from 10,000 feet into a music festival audience and recording people's reactions.

Jesus that sounds like a right laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭HLecter

Deal - hope they can get to my corpse before my instruction for cremation is carried out.

or before i activate self destruct mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Did it mention in the documentary what the current going rate for a body is?

Nope.

I stated what I saw and what my price would be, that is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Depending on what kills you and the condition it's in, the tissues and organs of your body can be sold an awful lot of money once you're stripped for parts. There's some debate over figures, and it increases all the time as they figure out how to recover more from you, but the last figure I heard was around $80,000.

they probably shouldnt trust me with the 80k up front if they want a body with a functioning liver ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

You don't get paid in Ireland for donating your body to science - it's a voluntary thing.

Also, you can't die of any illnesses. The body has to be in fairly good shape, so your death most likely has to be from the likes of an accident such as a car crash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

I'd accept any amount of money or just give it to them for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

Make organ donation compulsory.

Give everyone a free drivers license in the mail and remove drink driving laws. Tax incentives for driving a motorbike.

Free organs for everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Ah, the Knoxville body farm.

Ten grand sounds about right. Sooner that than find out I'd been sold for parts without my knowledge, and had my bones swapped out for pipes.

I went to UTK and my friend lived in an apartment near enough to the body farm, said every night like clockwork there'd be pizzas delivered there :pac: And one lucky professor of mine had a chance to visit it, and had to wear those big rubber overalls that go up to your chest when walking around and that the smell was absolutely horrific (as you can imagine).

I would totally donate my body.

An interesting read on what happens to the body after you die is Stiff by Mary Roach. I believe she visits the body farm in one of the chapters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Yeah, I'd do it for free too.
    It would have to be okay with my family though.

Edit: Referring to original question, not the corpse sex one! :)

money talks bullsh1t walks, sign me up now. I could do with a few quid and they can have this shell when i'm dead. sounds a good deal to me. where do i sign up.

sure here in Ireland they are going to take your body parts when you die anyway whether you like it or not so any money my way before this is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

zenno wrote: »
    money talks bullsh1t walks, sign me up now. I could do with a few quid and they can have this shell when i'm dead. sounds a good deal to me. where do i sign up.

Why are you quoting me there?
    Is what I said bullsh1t or something?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

You don't get paid in Ireland for donating your body to science - it's a voluntary thing.

Also, you can't die of any illnesses. The body has to be in fairly good shape, so your death most likely has to be from the likes of an accident such as a car crash.

You can die from anything, once its not on the list of infectious diseases. My mam died in August from multi-organ failure and donated her body to UCD medical school.

Why are you quoting me there?
    Is what I said bullsh1t or something?? :confused:

not at all. I was just saying that i would rather money upfront before a donation of my body. sorry if it sounded out of sync

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Well if opt out of organ donation ever comes in ill be opting out so a school can go get fooked if they think they are getting my body.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Only if they did strange science with it like sending my cadaver on a theme park roller coaster tour of the USA.

Or dropping it from 10,000 feet into a music festival audience and recording people's reactions.

Jesus that sounds like a right laugh.

If I was rich I would sponsor both of these,sound like fun to watch.

• Advertisement

seanybiker wrote: »
    Well if opt out of organ donation ever comes in ill be opting out so a school can go get fooked if they think they are getting my body.

sure what good will you're body be when you are gone/dead. look at the junk that happened a few years ago with hospitals taking body parts when they were not supposed to. if there was some money involved towards giving a body to science then that would be ok in my book as it will help you out while you are alive.

now if a person has some religious beliefs then that's different of course but if you sign up for giving your body to science i think it should benefit the person doing so in receiving some money.

Advertisement