Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teens pay up for 'stupid' beer barrel prank near scene of train tragedy

Options
  • 27-07-2006 8:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

Irish Independent, 27th July 2006

THREE teens who placed a metal beer keg on the main Dublin-Cork rail line close to the scene of one of Ireland's worst rail tragedies were told their prank was "stupid and highly irresponsible".

Judge Patrick Moran warned the trio - who are aged between 16 and 18 years - their actions could have had appalling consequences.

The trio, from North Cork, pleaded guilty last May at Cork Circuit Criminal Court to charges arising from an incident on June 6, 2005, on the outskirts of Buttevant, on the Dublin-Cork rail line.

Their action resulted in a train being damaged - though the quick-witted response of the Iarnrod Eireann locomotive driver prevented a far more serious accident.

The locomotive driver spotted an object on the track in the distance and successfully managed to slow the train.

However, the keg still struck the underside of the locomotive, causing minor damage.

Buttevant was the scene of one of Ireland's worst transport tragedies, when in 1980 a total of 18 people died after the main Dublin-Cork express derailed following a signalling problem.

More than 100 people suffered serious injuries.

Judge Patrick Moran heard that all three teens admitted causing criminal damage to an Iarnrod Eireann locomotive carriage on June 6.

The trio also pleaded guilty to placing an objecton a railway line being aware that their action could potentially cause injury to a person or damage to property.

The sentencing was adjourned until yesterday to allow for the preparation of Probation and Welfare Service reports on all three teens.

Judge Moran heard that all three now deeply regret their actions.All the reports were extremely favourable to the three defendants.

Judge Moran noted the reports and the ages of the defendants in applying the Probation Act.

The teens must now pay €400 each to charity.

Ralph Riegel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pity they didn't put themselves on the track and speed up nature's inevitable consequence. Seriously, if this was a standard keg, you'd have to be completely devoid of a brain to think that it wouldn't cause any damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

€400 fine for behavior that could have caused multiple injuries and/or deaths? What a joke! Those b@stards should be doing serious time. Doesn't send out much of deterrant to any other kids thinking of 'having a laugh', does it? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

I'm surprised they were found at all, but it's good to see that they were found and found guilty. Morons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭smallpaws

The trio also pleaded guilty to placing an objecton a railway line being aware that their action could potentially cause injury to a person or damage to property........

Judge Moran heard that all three now deeply regret their actions.All the reports were extremely favourable to the three defendants.

They admitted being aware (and how can you not be!) that what they did could cause injury, but they "deeply regret" their actions? Give me a break, they only regret that they got caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

Originally the judge refused to hear the case on the ground its was too serious for his court and tried to shift it to a higher court where higher penalties could be applied

That train had 450 on board and was doing 90mph before the driver slammed on, it was a miracle no one was injured

A few years back some vandals in Rathdrum, Wicklow managed to derail a empty passenger train, another incident in Wexford and another attempt in Broombridge, never caught, its a war zone out there general stupidity in terms of bridge strikes, trespass and people getting struck by trains are the number one cause of delays

The law has since changed and the fines have increased but they only apply as of Jan 1 2006

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

a long stint of community service atleast would have been beneficial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

a long stint of community service atleast would have been beneficial.

But had their stupidity caused a serious accident, a bullit in their heads would be the cry from many. Lets think about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,011 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

This is what can happen when idiots like that trio do what they do

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenock_rail_crash

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The teens must now pay €400 each to charity.
    They should be paying the full cost of the damage to Irish Rail and maybe sued for trauma by passengers. Why should taxpayers have to pay?
    I would like the same punishment for robberies etc - full repayment of monies stolen plus jail time (hard labour preferred).

The moron who did e10k (or was it e100k) of damage to gravestones in Glasnevin Cemetary was only fined e3k. And he's been in court looking for an extension for his repayments - he has paid e1500 but hasn't gotten the rest because his money is being spent raising his new kid :rolleyes: Breed on, breed on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Navan Junction

daymobrew wrote:
    The moron who did e10k (or was it e100k) of damage to gravestones in Glasnevin Cemetary was only fined e3k. And he's been in court looking for an extension for his repayments - he has paid e1500 but hasn't gotten the rest because his money is being spent raising his new kid :rolleyes: Breed on, breed on.
    Was that the JCB job over the Fenian plot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

daymobrew wrote:
    They should be paying the full cost of the damage to Irish Rail and maybe sued for trauma by passengers. Why should taxpayers have to pay?
    I would like the same punishment for robberies etc - full repayment of monies stolen plus jail time (hard labour preferred).

Under section 117 of the rail safety act 2005 the maxmum penalty is €100,000 and/or 3 years in jail, that act was not ineffect at the time charges where pressed

The first judge clearly had the right idea when he referred to from district to circuit court http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1536877&issue_id=13503

A civil action could be taken to recover the costs, easily looking at the €10,000 bracket, repairs and lose of revenue combined with payouts to passengers delayed. Add in legal costs and you quickly realise that your average 17 year old won't be able to pay at which point IE become liable for the costs (any legal head confirm that) fairly pointless exercise

Best medicine for these vandals is to force them to witness the aftermath of the next suicide on the Cork line or better still show them the video of it from the cab, them new pointy trains should have forward facing CCTV that should teach them an appreciation of the fact a 400 ton brick moving at 90mph takes 1.25 miles to come to a full halt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Was that the JCB job over the Fenian plot?
    Yes. The Northside News (free rag) keeps us updated :p
    MarkoP11 wrote:
    A civil action could be taken to recover the costs, ..... fairly pointless exercise.
    Could the house of their guardian be taken off them? Such dramatic action should make these fools think twice, though I don't credit them with such a conscience.

A year or two back I saw three young feckers (12 or 13yrs old) smashing bus shelter glass at Clontarf Road DART station with a hammer (the pointed type possibly from beside a bus/train emergency exit). I rang the Gardai (999 as I didn't know Clontarf station number). I followed them onto the main road where they broke another shelter pane, and showered two people with glass.
    That was the last straw - I dashed at them as another guy going the opposite direction did and got one in a headlock.
    I brought him back to the station to the ticket office who said they'd call the Gardai.
    A few days later I rang Clontarf Gardai to follow up. They hadn't turned up - my info may not have been clear. The Garda contacted the DART ticket office - ticker guy let the kid go because he was crying when the ticket guy threatened to call the kid's dad :eek:
    So, the kid goes unpunished. I guess that his dad would have put some manners on him. The ticket guy's action annoyed the hell out of me then, and still does. I never saw him again (I rarely use the station).

Advertisement