Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

road funding

Options
  • 18-11-2011 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

am just wondering if any one else is annoyed that e50m is earmarked for a motorway through the North,while lots of our motorway schemes have been binned and many of our ordinary roads are full of potholes?:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The North needs roads too. Blame your ****ty council for their ****ty roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

It's so that there will be good roads in the north for our tanks when we invade in 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I'm very cross about it, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

come to dublin, they seem to be resurfacing wvery road around here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I just drove from Kerry to Cork city and had 5 sets of very extensive resurfacing roadworks to go through and the new flyovers being built on the south ring road in Cork.

You'd swear we weren't bankrupt at all :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

come to dublin, they seem to be resurfacing wvery road around here.
    SeaFields wrote: »
    I just drove from Kerry to Cork city and had 5 sets of very extensive resurfacing roadworks to go through and the new flyovers being built on the south ring road in Cork.

You'd swear we weren't bankrupt at all :pac:

County Councils have to use up all of their buget before the end of the year or the money is taken back off them. Hence, lots or resurfacing this time of year.
    Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Donegal!

The Irish Government want to upgrade that road to allow their citizens in Donegal to reach other parts of the Republic. For that reason thet were willing to invest the money. As a result the Northern authorities prioritised the route (not much money for infrastructure projects in the North otherwise).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭hamlet1

The North needs roads too. Blame your ****ty council for their ****ty roads.
    why should my taxes fund their roads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

hamlet1 wrote: »
    why should my taxes fund their roads?

7 billion loan at the lowest interest rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

am just wondering if any one else is annoyed that e50m is earmarked for a motorway through the North,while lots of our motorway schemes have been binned and many of our ordinary roads are full of potholes?:mad:
    Errrr

I dont know what news you are reading but that Motorway is NOT getting funding any time soon and the suspension of the project was anounced last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Donegal!

Last time I checked, Donegal shared a border with the rest of Ireland, so there's no need to pay for a road in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭lau1247

Gee Bag wrote: »
    County Councils have to use up all of their buget before the end of the year or the money is taken back off them. Hence, lots or resurfacing this time of year.
    Simples.

the council should resurface the bad roads, not the reasonably good ones..

just the last two weeks, heading from longford to dublin, there was road work just outside the town before mullingar.. the state of the road was decent, there are definitely worst roads around.. and yet they dug it up and re-surface it again..

Ireland really need to put the resources to better use.. why waste money something that was acceptable in the first place..

I'd rather they don't repair the decent ones and give it back.. helps lighten the government's budget a little too.. just because they have the money does not mean they have to spend it all

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Last time I checked, Donegal shared a border with the rest of Ireland, so there's no need to pay for a road in the UK.

A very small border with Leitrim, which is not a vital economic zone. The A5 upgrade will benefit Donegal and stimulate trade with the North, which is why it should be built and part-funded by the Republic if need be

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

all the money to upgrade rural roads is gone to upgrade the autobahns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭hamlet1

Errrr

I dont know what news you are reading but that Motorway is NOT getting funding any time soon and the suspension of the project was anounced last week.
    it was suspended and then mcguinness and his cronies got upset so its back on track.we wont be giving them as much as originally planned,but e50m is still heading up there when we badly need it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

it was suspended and then mcguinness and his cronies got upset so its back on track.we wont be giving them as much as originally planned,but e50m is still heading up there when we badly need it here.

Donegal needs it badly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Pherekydes wrote: »

So it would make more sense for someone from, for example, Letterkenny to take a 5-6 hour journey down through all of donegal, through leitrim and work their way over to dublin. Just so they can avoid going through the north? Also do the same if they want to go to Monaghan or louth?

This would bring far too much traffic on regional roads which would need to be upgraded more regularly than at present.

Advertisement