Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm not particulary religious

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Its most likely said by people who don't give a shyte. If Atheists want to talk about religion and "god" all day, they can go right ahead.

It's certainly not said by atheists. And God is the last thing atheists discuss "all day".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

They're probably the sort that only go to mass at Christmas. So long Jesus. See you in another years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

dlofnep wrote: »
    It's certainly not said by atheists. And God is the last thing atheists discuss "all day".
    I didn't say it was said by Atheists. I said by people who don't care. In my experience, Atheists love discussing god and religion. Which they are entitled to do of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Wattle wrote: »
    They're probably the sort that only go to mass at Christmas. So long Jesus. See you in another years time.

Guilty as charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Bullchomper

Straight out of the free online dictionary - you might find this helpful.

re·li·gious (r-ljs)
    adj.
    1. Having or showing belief in and reverence for God or a deity.
    2. Of, concerned with, or teaching religion: a religious text.
    3. Extremely scrupulous or conscientious: religious devotion to duty.
    n. pl. religious
    A member of a monastic order, especially a nun or monk

par·tic·u·lar·ly (pr-tky-lr-l, p-tk-)
    adv.
    1. To a great degree; especially: I particularly like the brown shoes.
    2. With particular reference or emphasis; individually or specifically: "Everyone has a moment in history which belongs particularly to him" (John Knowles).
    3. With regard to particulars; in detail.

If it's trying to guess the inner psyche of people making the comment... eh I'm gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

I didn't say it was said by Atheists. I said by people who don't care. In my experience, Atheists love discussing god and religion. Which they are entitled to do of course.

:eek: keith, I thought you were gone into hibernation until easter/17th March :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I'm not at all religious..................

Thank god......

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Its most likely said by people who don't give a shyte. If Atheists want to talk about religion and "god" all day, they can go right ahead.
    I've used it to politely deflect questions about religion from people who don't need or deserve the full treatment. If they keep asking questions, well ... they get answers, but they don't always like them. :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

bnt wrote: »
    I've used it to politely deflect questions about religion from people who don't need or deserve the full treatment. If they keep asking questions, well ... they get answers, but they don't always like them. :o

Yes, it's a polite way to tell someone you are atheist/agnostic and subtly tell them that you have no interest in further conversation on the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm an atheist and I tell people that I'm not particularly religious. This is because if I tell people I'm an atheist I get a barrage of questions of the "Why don't you believe in God? He made all the duckys and the rainbows! Aren't you afraid of going to hell?!" type. If I tell people that I'm not particularly religous then they tend to shut up and leave me alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

A lot of the time means non-practicing christian/muslim/etc I always presumed. Someone who would describe themselves as x religion if asked in passing what religion they were but don't necessarily have any great interest in x or follow it's tenants, ehhh, religiously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Probably more likely that the atheists that love discussing god and religion love discussing god and religion Keith. After all how would you know the atheists that hate discussing god and religion were atheists if they didn't talk about god and religion.

You probably know a lot more atheists than you think Keith and most probably never mention religion, hence the reason you don't know they are atheists. I think your statistical analysis may be a bit skewed in reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Translation: "I'm not religious, but I know you are, and just so you don't ask me any personal questions I'm going to humour you for now"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

If people ask me if I'm religious I find it funny. If I say yes they'll assume I go to church, read the Bible etc.

Though when I say that I mean that I meditate, chant mantras and pray to multiple gods.

I love paganism.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

strobe wrote: »
    Probably more likely that the atheists that love discussing god and religion love discussing god and religion Keith. After all how would you know the atheists that hate discussing god and religion were atheists if they didn't talk about god and religion.
    Speaking for myself - I like "discussing" religion too, but far too often there is simply no scope for discussion. If there is no basic agreement on fundamentals, then what you get is not a discussion: it's people talking past each other and/or hitting each other over the head with words.

Now I think about it, it's been years since I had a discussion about religion with a non-religious person. I have to be so careful with what I say and how I say it, especially since I'm a tall guy from Scotland with a deep voice, not some gentle Irish softie who talks around a subject as you do here. All I have to do, to freak people out, is to show a little enthusiasm for a topic and say what I mean. :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Said honestly by people who lean slightly towards agnosticism or slightly towards believing in a certain religion but not really willing to declare either way.

Also said by people who ARE particularly religious but know its not very socially acceptable/uber-trendy in some circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I have a different meaning when I say it, I'd consider myself a spiritual person but not bound to any particular set of strictures or rules.

When in Thailand I'll light incense for Buddha, in Saudi Arabia I'll nod my head to Allah, in Ireland I'll give respect to the Christian god when the situation calls for it, being as all of these are to my mind facets or representations of the desire of people to attain something higher, a sort of hope. Its not something I lift a shneer at.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

I have never, in my entire life, been asked if I was religious. I don't think it's a topic of discussion that ever really comes up. The first time I have seen discussions on religion/or lack of, is here, on boards. I don't think it matters to people nowadays.

Advertisement