Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm not particulary religious

• 17-11-2011 2:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

When people say "I'm not particularly religious" what do they mean?

Does it mean they don't believe in God, don't care whether there is a God or do believe in God but just don't go along with the rituals.

Is it code for I don't believe in God but don't want to say it?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It means they suck satan's cock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Normally it's agnostics who say it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

When people say "I'm not particulary religious" what do they mean?

Does it mean they don't believe in God, don't care whether there is a God or do believe in God but just don't go along with the rituals.

Would ya not ask them?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I'd go with - I have a belief in god but don't feel the need to do the standup-kneeldown-standup-kneeldown ritual to prove it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

vicwatson wrote: »
    Would ya not ask them?:rolleyes:

Don't worry I'll ask next time although it's hard to get a reply from people on tele or radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Probably afraid to say "I am not religious" in case their granny is listening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I would assume that they are, in the main, good people who don't necessarily practice the Sacraments but live their lives in a quiet and helpful way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Freddie59 wrote: »
    I would assume that they are, in the main, good people who don't necessarily practice the Sacraments but live their lives in a quiet and helpful way.

That's just being a decent person surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'd imagine this thread will end well with no ill feelings between some posters :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Depends on the person, I guess. For some people it may mean they're agnostic, for some it may mean they're an atheist - but does not what to go the particular bother of having a discussion about it, as they sometimes do - or it may mean that they are spiritual in some sort of way, maybe in some sort of a deist sense, but doesn't buy all that mumbo-jumbo they teach you in places of worship (and schools).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

It means I am religious but I couldn't be arsed vindicating my beliefs to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Don't worry I'll ask next time although it's hard to get a reply from people on tele or radio.

Not all all, most tv/radio stations have e-mail contacts on their website.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Its most likely said by people who don't give a shyte. If Atheists want to talk about religion and "god" all day, they can go right ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

Not being particularly religious basically means 'meh'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Noopti wrote: »
    That's just being a decent person surely?

Essentially yes, but with a leaning towards God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Usually means they know how to act without having to consult a rulebook.
    Basically people who have the backbone to think for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Yeah - it's code for - not religious, but I know a lot of people profess faith so I've no interest in rocking the boat, and would rather talk about football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

To me it means they're hedging their bets, but I think they're on to a looser. I'm an atheist, out and out, I don't believe and i don't observe any religious rules, if in the end it turns out I'm wrong - I reckon I'll be ok cos I geniuinely thought I was doing the right thing. However if you think there's a god and yet you still don't follow the rules - that's just putting it up to the big man and he's gonna be pissed!
    A friend of mine (who incidently is a gay witch!, how cool is that!) tells me "there are none so like god as those who don't believe" So I'm alright, but I'm pretty sure you're all fúcked:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

To me it means they're hedging their bets, but I think they're on to a looser. I'm an atheist, out and out, I don't believe and i don't observe any religious rules, if in the end it turns out I'm wrong - I reckon I'll be ok cos I geniuinely thought I was doing the right thing. However if you think there's a god and yet you still don't follow the rules - that's just putting it up to the big man and he's gonna be pissed!
    A friend of mine (who incidently is a gay witch!, how cool is that!) tells me "there are none so like god as those who don't believe" So I'm alright, but I'm pretty sure you're all fúcked:D

How'd your friend find that out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

I usually answer "I'm not religious" when friends etc ask me why my kids weren't christened, which in my case means I don't believe in god or any organised religion.

They answer, "oh neither am I" but I don't really know what they mean cos they say they believe in God, go to mass and have their children go through the sacraments.....

What does being "religious" mean then?

• Advertisement

What does being "religious" mean then?

Well it's a personal thing isn't it so I'd imagine it depends on the person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Bullchomper

If it's coming from a politician, it's for votes. If it's coming from a radio/TV presenter, it's for ratings. If it's coming from an actress/actor/public figure, it's to promote something or to be liked. Basically a noncommittal comment to keep everyone happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

Jess16 wrote: »
    Well it's a personal thing isn't it so I'd imagine it depends on the person

That's my point. As an atheist I think it's someone who believes in god and partakes in the church rituals etc. To your average Irish Catholic it might mean someone like their granny who goes to church every day and talks about god all the time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

If it's coming from a politician, it's for votes. If it's coming from a radio/TV presenter, it's for ratings. If it's coming from an actress/actor/public figure, it's to promote something or to be liked. Basically a noncommittal comment to keep everyone happy.
    As well as people who really aren't particulary religious .
    Post below sums it up for me to
    mikom wrote: »
    Usually means they know how to act without having to consult a rulebook.
    Basically people who have the backbone to think for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

It's what people say when they don't think about religion very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

How'd your friend find that out?

That he was gay, or the god thing?:D
    He found it out the same way anyone found out anything about their religion, long ago some chancer/mentally ill person made it up and it somehow stuck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

for me it'd be 'i believe in God, but not so much religion'

...but thats just me

That's my point. As an atheist I think it's someone who believes in god and partakes in the church rituals etc. To your average Irish Catholic it might mean someone like their granny who goes to church every day and talks about god all the time....

Exactly, so it's kind of a moot point I guess because if you were to ask a hundred people what it means to be religious, you'd probably get a hundred different answers -unless of course you're genuinely interested in hearing random people's personal interpretations of being religious!?

Jess16 wrote: »
    Not being particularly religious basically means 'meh'

Meh-thuselah, the patron saint of indifference.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Seems to me it's something to say without really lying but also not having to offend anyone or to get drawn into a sensitive topic that you don't care about either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Its most likely said by people who don't give a shyte. If Atheists want to talk about religion and "god" all day, they can go right ahead.

It's certainly not said by atheists. And God is the last thing atheists discuss "all day".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

They're probably the sort that only go to mass at Christmas. So long Jesus. See you in another years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

dlofnep wrote: »
    It's certainly not said by atheists. And God is the last thing atheists discuss "all day".
    I didn't say it was said by Atheists. I said by people who don't care. In my experience, Atheists love discussing god and religion. Which they are entitled to do of course.

Wattle wrote: »
    They're probably the sort that only go to mass at Christmas. So long Jesus. See you in another years time.

Guilty as charged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Bullchomper

Straight out of the free online dictionary - you might find this helpful.

re·li·gious (r-ljs)
    adj.
    1. Having or showing belief in and reverence for God or a deity.
    2. Of, concerned with, or teaching religion: a religious text.
    3. Extremely scrupulous or conscientious: religious devotion to duty.
    n. pl. religious
    A member of a monastic order, especially a nun or monk

par·tic·u·lar·ly (pr-tky-lr-l, p-tk-)
    adv.
    1. To a great degree; especially: I particularly like the brown shoes.
    2. With particular reference or emphasis; individually or specifically: "Everyone has a moment in history which belongs particularly to him" (John Knowles).
    3. With regard to particulars; in detail.

If it's trying to guess the inner psyche of people making the comment... eh I'm gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

I didn't say it was said by Atheists. I said by people who don't care. In my experience, Atheists love discussing god and religion. Which they are entitled to do of course.

:eek: keith, I thought you were gone into hibernation until easter/17th March :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I'm not at all religious..................

Thank god......

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I've used it to politely deflect questions about religion from people who don't need or deserve the full treatment. If they keep asking questions, well ... they get answers, but they don't always like them. :o

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

bnt wrote: »
    I've used it to politely deflect questions about religion from people who don't need or deserve the full treatment. If they keep asking questions, well ... they get answers, but they don't always like them. :o

Yes, it's a polite way to tell someone you are atheist/agnostic and subtly tell them that you have no interest in further conversation on the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm an atheist and I tell people that I'm not particularly religious. This is because if I tell people I'm an atheist I get a barrage of questions of the "Why don't you believe in God? He made all the duckys and the rainbows! Aren't you afraid of going to hell?!" type. If I tell people that I'm not particularly religous then they tend to shut up and leave me alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

A lot of the time means non-practicing christian/muslim/etc I always presumed. Someone who would describe themselves as x religion if asked in passing what religion they were but don't necessarily have any great interest in x or follow it's tenants, ehhh, religiously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Probably more likely that the atheists that love discussing god and religion love discussing god and religion Keith. After all how would you know the atheists that hate discussing god and religion were atheists if they didn't talk about god and religion.

You probably know a lot more atheists than you think Keith and most probably never mention religion, hence the reason you don't know they are atheists. I think your statistical analysis may be a bit skewed in reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Translation: "I'm not religious, but I know you are, and just so you don't ask me any personal questions I'm going to humour you for now"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

If people ask me if I'm religious I find it funny. If I say yes they'll assume I go to church, read the Bible etc.

Though when I say that I mean that I meditate, chant mantras and pray to multiple gods.

I love paganism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

strobe wrote: »
    Probably more likely that the atheists that love discussing god and religion love discussing god and religion Keith. After all how would you know the atheists that hate discussing god and religion were atheists if they didn't talk about god and religion.
    Speaking for myself - I like "discussing" religion too, but far too often there is simply no scope for discussion. If there is no basic agreement on fundamentals, then what you get is not a discussion: it's people talking past each other and/or hitting each other over the head with words.

Now I think about it, it's been years since I had a discussion about religion with a non-religious person. I have to be so careful with what I say and how I say it, especially since I'm a tall guy from Scotland with a deep voice, not some gentle Irish softie who talks around a subject as you do here. All I have to do, to freak people out, is to show a little enthusiasm for a topic and say what I mean. :o

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Said honestly by people who lean slightly towards agnosticism or slightly towards believing in a certain religion but not really willing to declare either way.

Also said by people who ARE particularly religious but know its not very socially acceptable/uber-trendy in some circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I have a different meaning when I say it, I'd consider myself a spiritual person but not bound to any particular set of strictures or rules.

When in Thailand I'll light incense for Buddha, in Saudi Arabia I'll nod my head to Allah, in Ireland I'll give respect to the Christian god when the situation calls for it, being as all of these are to my mind facets or representations of the desire of people to attain something higher, a sort of hope. Its not something I lift a shneer at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

I have never, in my entire life, been asked if I was religious. I don't think it's a topic of discussion that ever really comes up. The first time I have seen discussions on religion/or lack of, is here, on boards. I don't think it matters to people nowadays.

Advertisement