Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE News coverage of Donegal Accident

Options
  • 12-07-2010 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0712/rta.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/northern_ireland/10594606.stm

I don't know how long these links will work for, of if they will be updated, but at this current time of 13:48 on Monday 12th July 2010, the BBC have far more in depth coverage of this tragic incident in Donegal.

Surely our national broadcaster has an obligation to cover this story to the best of their ability. It shouldn't be the case that BBC Northern Ireland has more information on this major accident.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

whatever about the brief posting on their website, I heard all the info mentioned on the BBC article on RTE radio this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The difference in both the quality and level of detail between those two articles is just stunning :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 speakeasy900

Venom wrote: »
    The difference in both the quality and level of detail between those two articles is just stunning :(

IN fairness to RTE they do now have video online and they had a live report from there. But the online text content is very poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

When I want to find out about the FT's of League of Ireland soccer games I go to the bbc website. You could be waiting hours-days for RTE to get round to it.

Says it all really when it comes to RTE v BBC reporting as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

You really have to look at TV/Radio news coverage of the incident. RTÉ News on the web is very always a very minimal version of their Radio and TV news.

http://www.tv3.ie/article.php?article_id=40729&locID=1.2.&pagename=news

http://www.u.tv/News/Eight-killed-in-Donegal-car-crash/88037f98-31c1-4199-b372-ed4b64b9aa26

The BBC tend to write their website articles like you would a news paper article. Most of what is said in the BBC article is quotes from their reporter on the scene and some condolences.

Either way it is a dreadful tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

I may be putting my foot in it and i by no means mean to belittle the incident. But i find with RTE News is that if it doesn't happen in Dublin they do not give half a fcuk. Same with the Independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I may be putting my foot in it and i by no means mean to belittle the incident. But i find with RTE News is that if it doesn't happen in Dublin they do not give half a fcuk. Same with the Independent.
    There is an element of that at times but not in this instance. It was the lead on 6.1 today, featured in the first two reports plus a live update from a reporter at the scene. This was followed later in the bulletin by interviews with local representatives including the parish priest.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think they are toning in down until tomorrow then they will likely show pics of the actual car.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Sorry for the off topic post but TV3 are showing some documentary called 'Rampage - Cars out of Control'. Is it a little insensitive? I know ITV changed it's schedule after the Cumbria shootings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

mal1 wrote: »
    Sorry for the off topic post but TV3 are showing some documentary called 'Rampage - Cars out of Control'. Is it a little insensitive? I know ITV changed it's schedule after the Cumbria shootings.
    The fact that this just happened should almost be the very reason why it shouldn'tbe cancelled...
    People need to see first hand the effects this has on people...

If one person's death is prevented due to that tv programme being shown, it's done it's job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

RTE news on the web rarely give much detail to their stories.

I don't know how their news department operates, but it is almost as if the stories as deliberately kept short enough to work as stories on Aertel.

The BBC report is far better - RTE need to get their act together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

mal1 wrote: »

It's TV3, I wouldn't expect much of them, sensitivity/tact included. They'll probably have "I had Bigfoots Baby" on any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

TV3 didn't actually show that Rampage documentary....I thought it was the remote playing up but while it said on the Guide that it was showing 'Rampage....' what was actually broadcast was some repeat rubbish documentary about 'Brits going wild abroad'...gangs on stag/hen weekends in Prague. Now it makes sense why they didn't show the original programme.

RH149 wrote: »
    what was actually broadcast was some repeat rubbish documentary about 'Brits going wild abroad'...gangs on stag/hen weekends in Prague. .

They can't win.
    The BBC report is far better - RTE need to get their act together.

I would agree BBC web reports are generally far more detailed than RTÉ's. But as I said the BBC just transcribe much of what their reporter said. I don't really understand why neither RTÉ/BBC don't just provide the reporters' reports in full rather than a very minor version or in the BBC's case a rewrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

RH149 wrote: »
    TV3 didn't actually show that Rampage documentary....I thought it was the remote playing up but while it said on the Guide that it was showing 'Rampage....' what was actually broadcast was some repeat rubbish documentary about 'Brits going wild abroad'...gangs on stag/hen weekends in Prague. Now it makes sense why they didn't show the original programme.

Ok, that makes sense. I'm not the sensitive type but thought that TV3 might be lining themselves up for come criticism if they showed the scheduled programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

What is the OP seeking?

8 people are dead. It was reported this morning. nothing has changed.

It is History, much like the occupants of the car.

Wake up Donegal, slow down.

RIP all concerned

Barname wrote: »
    What is the OP seeking?

8 people are dead. It was reported this morning. nothing has changed.

It is History, much like the occupants of the car.

Wake up Donegal, slow down.

RIP all concerned

I was seeking debate on how our own national news service has let us down, at least for online content (which is where more and more people check the news). If you are suggesting there was no point in reporting this incident in detail, then how will people learn of the immediate emotion and impact this tragedy has?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0712/rta.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/northern_ireland/10594606.stm

I don't know how long these links will work for, of if they will be updated, but at this current time of 13:48 on Monday 12th July 2010, the BBC have far more in depth coverage of this tragic incident in Donegal.

Surely our national broadcaster has an obligation to cover this story to the best of their ability. It shouldn't be the case that BBC Northern Ireland has more information on this major accident.

It's not really a story that affects many people

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I was seeking debate on how our own national news service has let us down, at least for online content (which is where more and more people check the news). If you are suggesting there was no point in reporting this incident in detail, then how will people learn of the immediate emotion and impact this tragedy has?

you can't learn common sense

• Advertisement

It's not really a story that affects many people

Eight of our fellow citizens lost, countless other friends and relatives left devastated, we are one of the most car dependent countries in the world, young men losing their lives on our roads all the time.... it's a story that "doesnt effect many people". Are you sure about that?

you can't learn common sense

so there should be no in depth report of such a major incident?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I think RTE dealt with the accident with adequate sensitivity.

I dont get the whole "this is a terrible tragedy that has befallen upon our community" type soundbytes that local priests, TDs etc etc deliver in these such incidents though.. Someone is to blame for this, and if as a state we are prepared to make criminals out of old people having a couple of pints and driving home from the local, then we should similarly be prepared to point the finger of blame where gratuitous speed (for the purpose of showing off) is concerned. I am course, speaking generally about these types of accidents, a number of which happened in my own locality and received similarly "sensitive" treatment on the news.

so there should be no in depth report of such a major incident?

I think that this thread should be re-named, and the Donegal Accident taken as an example of RTÉ News' coverage of events outside Dublin.

Last Nights Six One. http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1076648

Someone is to blame for this, and if as a state we are prepared to make criminals out of old people having a couple of pints and driving home from the local, then we should similarly be prepared to point the finger of blame where gratuitous speed (for the purpose of showing off) is concerned. I am course, speaking generally about these types of accidents, a number of which happened in my own locality and received similarly "sensitive" treatment on the news.

spot on

too many 'legends' and 'martyrs' being venerated rather than being held up as the dick-heads they are

slow down shite hawks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

What is RTE's obsession with interviewing "church goers". As if it has any relevance. They also interviewed a priest who talked about peoples anguish at God for letting this happen. ffs, talk about making light of a serious situation. How about some serious reporting about the boy racer culture in Donegal and that area in general? How about some background on the driver and the poor unfortunate pensioner who was as good as murdered.

Let us pray my fcuking arse.

20goto10 wrote: »
    What is RTE's obsession with interviewing "church goers". As if it has any relevance. They also interviewed a priest who talked about peoples anguish at God for letting this happen. ffs, talk about making light of a serious situation. How about some serious reporting about the boy racer culture in Donegal and that area in general? How about some background on the driver and the poor unfortunate pensioner who was as good as murdered.

Let us pray my fcuking arse.

well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

20goto10 wrote: »
    How about some serious reporting about the boy racer culture in Donegal and that area in general? How about some background on the driver and the poor unfortunate pensioner who was as good as murdered.
    Because, until there is an outcome from an investigation, it cannot be assumed by the media that the lads were speeding/joyriding/racing. That's not fair on the families. You can't really know what happened from your sitting room chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

MargeS wrote: »
    Because, until there is an outcome from an investigation, it cannot be assumed by the media that the lads were speeding/joyriding/racing. That's not fair on the families. You can't really know what happened from your sitting room chair.
    True enough. But 8 young lads crammed into a passat, its fairly safe to assume. Besides, they could report on the boy racer culture without making any false accusations. People can draw their own conclusions if they want. I certainly see no need to report on how "all people can do is pray" or a priests religious slant on the incident and how he sympathises with peoples anguish at God. It's completely irrelavent and atrocious journalism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

MargeS wrote: »
    Because, until there is an outcome from an investigation, it cannot be assumed by the media that the lads were speeding/joyriding/racing.

well I tried to make my statement general enough so as not to speculate about this particular incident but I'm prepared to bet that the accident was neither the woman they clipped earlier up the road, nor the poor 66 year old man in the other car.

But instead of the RSA coming out with their generic "bad male driver" ads, it's about time that they blamed the boy racer culture that has been allowed to develop in this country. We all know them, the w@nkers that converge on Tesco car parks late at night, speeding and doing donuts, handbrake turns etc etc.

imo, engine sizes for those under 25 should be limited at 1.1L. They can do less damage when they inevitably crash, and there will be less of an incentive to speed,do handbrakers etc etc in a car that isnt as "cool"..

note: item about it on newstalk now with RSA Head Officer Gay Byrne

Advertisement