Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE News : 6:00pm 8th January

• 08-01-2010 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Just watching the news there. RTE had a camera set up on a slippy footpath somewhere in dublin. One lad was on the path being filmed, got absolutely hopped off the rock hard pavement. I think he hit his head.

RTE played the footage as evidence as to how dangerous the footpaths were. Would they not be better off getting their cameramen to maybe put salt on the footpath, instead of waiting for the inevitable fall to enhance their news report?? Struck me as a little less than responsible reporting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Just watching the news there. RTE had a camera set up on a slippy footpath somewhere in dublin. One lad was on the path being filmed, got absolutely hopped off the rock hard pavement. I think he hit his head.

RTE played the footage as evidence as to how dangerous the footpaths were. Would they not be better off getting their cameramen to maybe put salt on the footpath, instead of waiting for the inevitable fall to enhance their news report?? Struck me as a little less than responsible reporting.

If they put salt on the footpath then they wouldn't be able to report on slippery footpaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63878770&posted=1#post63878770

The year only 8 days old and we have a moment thats a certainty to be included in News round up of 2010. He was unfortunate but he should have had more sense. I choked on me tay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

If they were being responsible then we wouldn't have this video to laugh at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,535 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Are you aiming for one of the most stupid posts of 2010?

Do you honestly expect a news cameraman to be carrying buckets of salt with him ?

What next? Complaining about lions killiing wildebeest on nature programs, should David Attenborough jump in with a shotgun?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I was just thinking as he appeared in shot that he was walking way too fast for the conditions and he was wearing inadequate footwear. I did wince though when he fell and I hope he didn't do too much damage, sounded like a fair old whack.:(
    Like the wildlife filming analogy above, I wonder how long the camera was there before someone did slip?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

murpho999 wrote: »
    Are you aiming for one of the most stupid posts of 2010?

Just thought it was very irresponsible leaving the camera there on the side of a slippy footpath. It's fairly cynical. The guy got a real slap... though why he was wearing runners (well I think they were runner type shoes anyway),
    I've no idea

I dont expect it to be raised in the Dáil.... maybe in the Seanad, though I dont think the topic matter is insignificant enough to be raised in the Seanad.

Just thought it was very irresponsible leaving the camera there on the side of a slippy footpath. It's fairly cynical. The guy got a real slap... though why he was wearing runners (well I think they were runner type shoes anyway),
    I've no idea

I dont expect it to be raised in the Dáil.... maybe in the Seanad, though I dont think the topic matter is insignificant enough to be raised in the Seanad.

did you LOL though. c'mon...seriously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,535 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well I certainly laughed, and he was definitely weariing the wrong shoes!

Could also have been a set up with an RTE Stuntman!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

My first reaction was that it looked staged,the guys movements looked exaggerated,maybe it's just me?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Ah sure they showed the same thing on the late night news last night on RTE 2, some poor woman slipped on her arse while the camera watched.

The other thing that occurred to me was don't you think a camera watching people on a slippy footpath is a more than a minor distraction when you should be concentrating on what your walking on.

P.S Seriously a cameraman carrying a bucket of salt around with him for the footpaths,are you high man!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Saw that, the lad got a serious clobbering.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I dont think they would have aired it if the dude was seriously hurt.

The thread is total lolz. Have you written your angry letter in red ink to RTE yet. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭Basq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

murpho999 wrote: »
    What next complaining about lions killiing wildebeest on nature programs, should David Attenborough jump in with a shotgun?

That'd be pretty cool, actually. Spice things up a a bit.

maybe the guy just lost his walking technique under the pressure of the camera. I did laugh initially, but I wasnt laughing when he clocked his ceann off the ground. He nearly caught his head off both the wall and the ground.

And I didnt mean the thread as a serious issue that I would take to the BCC, I just thought it was a bit insensitive. however if I thought it was beardy off the Meteor ad.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

lol, I actually recorded it with my camera also (love the dvr :D) but as it's on the net now I won't bother.

Laughed so hard when it came on... somebody should send it in to failblog.org :D

actually said "Owned!" out loud and the OH said, from the other room, "get off that game, we're having dinner in a second".

Also, I don't think they would of shown the clip if the guy was seriously injured, they obviously went over to him and asked him if was alright immediately after seeing him fall over (like anyone would)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭Basq

2z68bvt.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Prophet

RTE's comedy output has dramatically improved! He he he!

Unlucky Alf: "Bugger!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Looks like a Charlie Chaplin skit, quality :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 willie mason

If you didn't laugh at this then you're not human. Hilarious!

Also, the education correspondent on about schools closing for a few days was trying to be unbelievably compelling. She was using words like "leadership" in a tone that made one wonder was she talking about Patton's advance through France, rather than a few snowdays for a few kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Also, the education correspondent on about schools closing for a few days was trying to be unbelievably compelling. She was using words like "leadership" in a tone that made one wonder was she talking about Patton's advance through France, rather than a few snowdays for a few kids.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mr Ed

Tristram wrote: »
    :D

I missed it but I'm breaking myself up here laughing. C'mon it was icey out there we've all been there. Hilarious stuff.

If you didn't like it on the telly then you need to go out and wrap people up in cotton wool so nothing happens to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Lemondrop kid

RTE's comedy output has dramatically improved! He he he!

Funny
    Would imagine they took this from someone else's phone - hardly standing on corners with camera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Would imagine they took this from someone else's phone - hardly standing on corners with camera

What kind of phone gives video quality like that?

Funny

It was from an RTE camera on a tripod. I hope the guy is alright. anybody know him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Evening Herald were outside Mater A&E interveiewing people as they left on crutches and arms in slings etc. They wanted to know if you had to vist A&E because of fall on ice. They will probably have a picture of old boy who looks like a member of the Dubliners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭MajorThom

He has been found on facebook within the last hour. A facebook page was set up in his glory and some of his mates ratted him out. Im still crying laughing at it. Genuine contender form tv moment of the decade at this early stage.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Fair play to Daysha for making this and posting it in the C&H forum. I'll share it with you now.

RTE's comedy output has dramatically improved! He he he![/I]

It was FAR funnier than Thats all we have time for the other night lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭fluke

L31mr0d wrote: »
    lol, I actually recorded it with my camera also (love the dvr :D) but as it's on the net now I won't bother.

Laughed so hard when it came on... somebody should send it in to failblog.org :D

actually said "Owned!" out loud and the OH said, from the other room, "get off that game, we're having dinner in a second".

Also, I don't think they would of shown the clip if the guy was seriously injured, they obviously went over to him and asked him if was alright immediately after seeing him fall over (like anyone would)

Ah yeah I'd say they went over alright, if they were anything like me they'd be going over asking him if he was alright whilst trying not to laugh - 'Ye had a fall, are ye alright heh heh heh'

Advertisement