Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable desktop CNC mill

Options
  • 04-12-2014 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    As the title suggests I've been looking for an affordable CNC milling machine/router online but can't find anything at a reasonable price, basically annoying in or around €500.

Anybody for any ideas on where urged pick one up at a semi decent price?

Only looking for a small unit, I thought with the advent of 3D printing they'd be cheap enough.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

have you checked out second hand sites like donedeal, adverts, and ebay?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

CatFromHue wrote: »
    have you checked out second hand sites like donedeal, adverts, and ebay?

Checked donedeal but could only find industrial sized yokes that cost a few grand!

ebay was much the same but didn't look on adverts, might do that now!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Fox Mulder

Unfortunately there is nothing really available in that price range. The cheapest option is one the Chinese CNC routers on Ebay (+€1500). I purchased one of these and could not have been more disappointed. The machine simply isn't stiff enough for anything other than the smallest of aluminium parts. Its useful for 2D machining of wooden parts such as for model airplanes. The route I took was to convert a BF20 manual mill to CNC. This is a smallish desktop mill of which there are a number of Chinese variants. The conversion is relatively straight forward with a number of companies offering conversion kits. Again, it is still extremely expensive (+€4500 when converted). If you want a proper mill that is cheap you might be best at looking at an old Denford on Ebay. UK schools and universities often sell these on as they are getting quite old now. They can be had often for less than €2000 and usually have complete enclosures so they will keep the area your working in clean. If your thinking of doing any machining in aluminium, brass or steel the routers are really not up to the job. But if your looking to do wood, plastics, PCB boards or any thin 2D machining including engraving then maybe the Ebay CNC routers will be suitable.

Advertisement