Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE News - mistakes

• 27-11-2010 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭

Have you ever noticed how consistent RTE news are with mistakes? By 'mistakes' I mean editing mistakes. Just watching the 6pm news and the first report stops in it's tracks and goes into another report while eventually coming back to the original report. No apology issued. It happens time and time again and no one is ever accountable

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

Yes. But I dont really care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

pah wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

Ah that explains the consistency. Their audience don't give a ****e. Typical Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Yep, they always slow down Pascal Sheehy's news reports from around the country to make him speak ten words a minute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

qwert2 wrote: »
    Ah that explains the consistency. Their audience don't give a ****e. Typical Irish

Oh ffs, RTÉ made a mistake on their news broadcast. Some ****ing perspective would be welcome from some people around here.

Do you suggest that we all march on Donneybrook and then moan about that not receiving live coverage. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Tiny Explosions

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Oh ffs, RTÉ made a mistake on their news broadcast. Some ****ing perspective would be welcome from some people around here.

Do you suggest that we all march on Donneybrook and then moan about that not receiving live coverage. :rolleyes:

I think the OP is referring to the constant mistakes that are made by RTE, and not just on the news. Everyone makes mistakes and there's lots of things that can go wrong in a live broadcast, I can forgive them for that.

But almost everyday there is a mistake made!

It just shows RTE to be unprofessional, which they shouldn't be, especially considering how much they're getting paid.

But sure what do I know....I'm only made to pay them €180 a year!:pac:

It's a live broadcast. There's going to be mistakes - it goes with the territory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

I notice lots of those little mistakes all the time, they're funny to watch. The other day Brian Dobson appeared a bit cranky, while he was waiting ages for something to come up on the screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Let's all just agree that RTE News is Shît.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Electra19

I think it is amazing that there are so few mistakes given the live broadcasts. RTE are very professional, it is only when you watch/listen to less professional broadcasts you see how good they are. No, I don’t work for RTE!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Have you ever noticed how consistent RTE news are with mistakes? By 'mistakes' I mean editing mistakes. Just watching the 6pm news and the first report stops in it's tracks and goes into another report while eventually coming back to the original report. No apology issued. It happens time and time again and no one is ever accountable

Try tv3's news at 5.30. Not half as many mistakes and you get the news half an hour earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Electra19 wrote: »
    I think it is amazing that there are so few mistakes given the live broadcasts. RTE are very professional, it is only when you watch/listen to less professional broadcasts you see how good they are. No, I don’t work for RTE!

what, like local news slots in the US? What unprofessional broadcasts are you referring to? Remember RTE is a national broadcaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

But sure what do I know....I'm only made to pay them €180 a year!:pac:

€160 no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Tiny Explosions

amdublin wrote: »
    €160 no?

Yeah you're right it is €160, still €160 to much! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Yeah you're right it is €160, still €160 to much! :)

I'm with you on that dude.

You're 100% right, I don't give a sh1te. I've more important things to be worrying about than a few blips/glitches in RTE's live broadcasting scedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

It's astonishing when something happpens in your own area you notice just how many mistakes they make....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

You're 100% right, I don't give a sh1te. I've more important things to be worrying about than a few blips/glitches in RTE's live broadcasting scedule.

You sure?

You obviously cared enough to post the same thing twice about it...

telekon wrote: »
    You sure?

You obviously cared enough about not giving a sh1t to post the same thing twice about it...

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I watch quite a bit of sky news and I can't say I've noticed RTE make more mistakes than them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭zanardi

On the news the other night they twice referred to Brian Cowen's victorious return to Clara in Offaly 18 months ago. They seem to think that he was elected Taoiseach in May 2009. Could be considered a small error, but given the events of September 2008 I think it's amazing that they can get this so wrong.

Check it out on:

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1085454

At 21:52 and 23:04.

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The 6 one news on RTE is pretty bad for the frequent amount of screwups that seem to just be the norm for the production.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I noticed the cock up in the o/p's post too. This is just standard for RTE though.:(
    Almost every time they hand over to the sports presenter, the sound op is slow to fade up the mic so we don't actually hear the first couple of words the presenter utters. The level of professionalism in RTE is shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Minstrel27 wrote: »

RTE's standards of news reporting, editorial control and (on the website) basic spelling and grammar and very poor. It's not a joke, and it does mean something because most Irish people treat RTE as a serious, authoritative news source. Also it does nothing for our image abroad. Once you get an idea of how things work behind the scenes the amateurish and rather biased nature of RTE News makes more sense.

20 years ago standards seemed much higher, but 20 years ago I was a kid and was probably judging them at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭adomino

its cos biffo is in there editing the s***e out of it! "no, i don't accept this, the public can't see this"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

telekon wrote: »
    what, like local news slots in the US? What unprofessional broadcasts are you referring to? Remember RTE is a national broadcaster.

thank Christ for Evanne Ní Chuillin!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

RTE's standards of news reporting, editorial control and (on the website) basic spelling and grammar and very poor. It's not a joke, and it does mean something because most Irish people treat RTE as a serious, authoritative news source. Also it does nothing for our image abroad. Once you get an idea of how things work behind the scenes the amateurish and rather biased nature of RTE News makes more sense.

20 years ago standards seemed much higher, but 20 years ago I was a kid and was probably judging them at that level.

Oh the irony is priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

Sharon is constantly looking at the wrong camera- i'd say the cameraman gets an earful the whole time

Advertisement