Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE News & Northern Ireland

• 02-09-2003 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

A comment in another thread on the Politics board got me thinking about this again...

Does RTE News and Current affairs spend too much time covering events in Northern Ireland? By events I dont mean big important stuff with trans-national aspects like the "peace process" but hum-drum everyday items like road deaths, jobs lost or a new connection between Belfast Airport and Paris.

Should'nt RTE give full coverage to events in the ROI and important international stories before it gives over valuble air-time to minor matters in a different jurisdiction?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

RTE, TG4 and TV3 provide Northern Ireland News.

It is after all part of this Island. And I suppose it provides a The Republics view of event in the North.

Its not like they go on about Wales or Scotland. Perhaps England sometime ie the two girl that were murder a while ago.

Well I think its good Because I like to know what is happening in this Island (which after all is quite small) and International news stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,489 ✭✭✭✭Victor

UTV also carries stories about things in Cork or Dublin (well mostly Dublin) ... should that be stopped?

I think it nmight be a matter of they have the journalists there and need to justify their slaaries with airtime.... just like the regional reporters in say Limerick or Galway.

Just to point out the difference between UTV and RTE

UTV = Ulster TV
    RTÉ = Radio Teilfse Éireann

Thus RTE should cover all of Ireland, next you will be telling us that the should not show the All Ireland Final this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Well, I'd sooner have RTÉ covering road deaths and job losses from its "northern staff" than any of the other news it had to cover over the last 30-35 years, ***. Makes it look like a normal place.

One thing is, there are a few reporters up there in Belfast. Tommie Gorman, Michael Fisher, Declan McBennett are three I know, there might be more. Northern Ireland is well covered by RTÉ.

Careful now on the "different jurisdiction" comment, Mike, some folk dont like that talk! :D

Well lets just remove The six counties from the weather map, or prehaps just not draw any isobars over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Elmo the weather is non-political and broadcasting is (in the broadest sense). Obviously the GAA finals should be shown in Norn Iron as they have teams which are part of the association playing there. RTE is payed for by us the ppl of the Republic of Ireland no-one in the, ahem, "six counties" contributes.

Thanks for the warning Damo "play safe, and careful now!" ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

i've seen weather maps for the uk that have six counties floating by themselves and the rest of ireland appears to have disappeared

who says weather maps aren't political lol :D
    it always amuses me when i see it and ireland has been chopped apart

Originally posted by eyerer
    i've seen weather maps for the uk that have six counties floating by themselves and the rest of ireland appears to have disappeared

who says weather maps aren't political lol :D
    it always amuses me when i see it and ireland has been chopped apart

Well actually that has changed, the UK weather maps have included the ROI for a number of years now and parts of Scandanavia and Benelux.

Evenwhen they didn't there was a senior weatherman at the BBC , Jack Scott ( retired with about 15 years), who always mentioned the Republic of Ireland.

Regarding the central question, RTE Norn Irl coverage boils down to the "unwritten" rule of it's being since it's foundation that it must look after the "separated" ones.
    Plus the big audience it has there.

They should start putting on items about Anglesea though as well, theres quite a few watch six one there.

mm

RTE is payed for by us the ppl of the Republic of Ireland no-one in the, ahem, "six counties" contributes.

Well I like to know whats going on on this Island not just the 26 but all of the 32.

Anyway not much news in The Republic Alone.

What happens when local TV comes along

RTE ONE Ulster, Connacht, Leinster and Munster. What then?

Anyway we all dont like to be ingorant, I know some Cork and Dublin people tend to forget that there other counties on this Island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Originally posted by Man
    Well actually that has changed, the UK weather maps have included the ROI for a number of years now and parts of Scandanavia and Benelux.

check out bbc teletext weather and you'll see what i mean, unless they've changed it in the last year or so

the republic of ireland is the countries football team, not the countries name

• Advertisement
Advertisement