Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Link?

Billy Lidell, twatter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Calm down lads, It's not Xmas just yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭klose

I'd go

reina
    Glen-skrtel-agger-Enrique
    hendo
    gerrard
    suso
    Assaidi-Suarez-sterling

It's becoming more clear any time he plays there suso's best position is the top of a midfield 3, hes had some good games as a winger but has had some pretty poor ones. Assaidi can play rw to see what he's up to. Enrique was his best in a while v Chelsea so keep on going with him alt lb. Allen and Sahin need a rest on the bench. Agger is doubtful, slot in Coates if not fit.

Of course there's not a hope in hell of that team playing Sunday! If we don't win Saturday, Rodgers could be subject to his first anfield booing

djPSB wrote: »
    Billy Lidell, twatter

Guess we have a winner in the top,top former players competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Link?
    The Mirror.

Billy Liddel never posts links or a source.
    He's a bit weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I'd go

reina
    hendo
    gerrard
    suso
    Assaidi-Suarez-sterling

It's becoming more clear any time he plays there suso's best position is the top of a midfield 3, hes had some good games as a winger but has had some pretty poor ones. Assaidi can play rw to see what he's up to. Enrique was his best in a while v Chelsea so keep on going with him alt lb. Allen and Sahin need a rest on the bench. Agger is doubtful, slot in Coates if not fit.

Of course there's not a hope in hell of that team playing Sunday! If we don't win Saturday, Rodgers could be subject to his first anfield booing

Allen didn't have an international this week so I'd say he'll start.

Guess we have a winner in the top,top former players competition.
    It's Ron Yeats' birthday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I would go with the following

Reina
    Allen Hendo
    Sahin
    Assaidi-Suarez-Gerrard

Give Sterling a rest and it could be a good game for Sahin and Assaidi to show their talent. Tighten the midfield up and push Stevie up front

amiable wrote: »
    It's Ron Yeats' birthday

Not even in the same league TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Wigan are playing well lately and Kone up front is worrying. Hopefully Agger starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,401 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

amiable wrote: »
    Following him on Twitter doesn't make you a fan

Maybe not, but hailing his appointment does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I have a good feeling about the Wigan game. I can guarantee we will win (though it will it will be a narrow win).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

I do find that strange. How many different people work for LFC i.e wtf do they do?

Why would fans know or care about Chang is basically my question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    I have a good feeling about the Wigan game. I can guarantee we will win (though it will it will be a narrow win).

Yeah have a good feeling about the game, but unlike yourself I think we will win by at least two clear goals.

Nice Tywin quote btw. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I don't think people thought he was gonna go all mafia when he took the position. He definitely made a very bad error in judgment, but he did seem to have a good knowledge of the soccer as a whole and had an eye for some talent players.

• Site Banned Posts: 154 ✭✭EEm

Think we'll struggle. Suarez to save us once again. Gerrard becoming less and less effective all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

EEm wrote: »
    Think we'll struggle. Suarez to save us once again. Gerrard becoming less and less effective all the time.
    Gerrard hasn't been that bad at all this season
    played very well against Chelsea
    can't understand why ppl are so quick to blame Gerrard & Carragher all the time

@AMorgan94: another training session tomorrow, looking forward to it more preparation to the big game on sunday vs chelsea.. head down work hard... ynwa

Sounds confident! Good to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Great to have Lucas back training! Easy does it with the come back.

Hopefully a win against Wigan with a a couple of goals for Suarez ( back as captain in my fantasy football team)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Great to have Lucas back. Gently does it.

Thing is though this injury apparently was nothing to do with the last one.
    Heres hoping.

gafferino wrote: »
    Great to have Lucas back. Gently does it.

Thing is though this injury apparently was nothing to do with the last one.
    Heres hoping.

It wasn't but when you are out with a serious injury for as long as Lucas was originally you often pick up other injuries like muscle tears on your return.
    He was just unlucky it was such a serious injury.

Rodgers on Suso: "I think his best position is that number 10 role and we'll nurture that over the next couple of years."

I think everyone would agree with this,yes?

@AMorgan94: another training session tomorrow, looking forward to it more preparation to the big game on sunday vs chelsea.. head down work hard... ynwa

Sounds confident! Good to see!

That lad has managed to develop the early stages of a terrible rep for himself in Liverpool. Supposedly terribly arrogant about himself and a really bad habit of letting ordinary folk in shops and clubs know about how much of a "superstar" in the making he is.

By all accounts the total opposite of Sterling when met by Joe Public. There have been lots of glowing accounts about how Sterling takes time to talk to kids and fans, and about his general level of manners etc when in public.

I think everyone would agree with this,yes?

I think it will be his best role, but I think at this fledgling stage of his career he will get more time on the ball in a wider slot and be able to develop his game as a result.

I think with some experience the game smarts that may hopefully come with it that he will develop into a quality CAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭budgemook

Suarez going nowhere. Loves Liverpool too much. What a guy.

budgemook wrote: »

For now. If we're in a similar position in the table at the end of the season(I don't think we will be btw) I wouldn't be surprised if he left.

We need to start winning games,starting tomorrow against Wigan,climbing the table and making it harder for him to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

budgemook wrote: »

[cynical Arsenal Fan] Gone in Jan [/cynical Arsenal fan]

For now. If we're in a similar position in the table at the end of the season(I don't think we will be btw) I wouldn't be surprised if he left.

We need to start winning games,starting tomorrow against Wigan,climbing the table and making it harder for him to leave.

Yep winning games and on a regular basis is the only fix for a lot of things. Racking up draws only keeps us in the bottom half.

Quite confident about the game tomorrow though, and think we will do well. Just hope we get off to a good start and that settles the team (and crowd).

And with that tis time for me to vamoose, and potter down to Cork for my flight. Enjoy the game all, with any luck the chat after it will be about three points won and all things upwards.

• Advertisement

Roberto Mancini has rubbished suggestions that Manchester City are lining up a January bid for Luis Suarez.

Reports in the press on Thursday suggested the Premier League champions would try to lure the Liverpool striker away from Anfield when the transfer window re-opens.

Brendan Rodgers quickly dismissed the rumours and Mancini has supported the Liverpool manager's claims.

"It is not true, I don't know," said the Italian. "We have a good team and we don't need to buy another player in January.

"We can't buy Suarez or another player because we have four strikers and Suarez plays for Liverpool."

Mancini says he is tiring of speculation surrounding his own future at the club as well as constant rumours of which players are coming in or out of the Etihad Stadium.

"For two weeks we talk about Monaco, after (Pep) Guardiola, after another manager, now Suarez, now Mario (Balotelli)."

The rumours that Balotelli could be on his way out of Manchester surfaced after he was left out of the squad for the 2-1 win over Tottenham.

But Mancini said that was a decision based on his performances in training and had nothing to do with his future at the club.

He said: "Mario didn't play because it was my choice. I have 20 players and if there are some players that don't work well, they don't deserve to play.

"There were other players that worked better than Mario and they deserve to go on the bench."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Kess73 wrote: »
    That lad has managed to develop the early stages of a terrible rep for himself in Liverpool. Supposedly terribly arrogant about himself and a really bad habit of letting ordinary folk in shops and clubs know about how much of a "superstar" in the making he is.

By all accounts the total opposite of Sterling when met by Joe Public. There have been lots of glowing accounts about how Sterling takes time to talk to kids and fans, and about his general level of manners etc when in public.

i've heard this Kess, know a guy who bumped into him in Liverpool one saturday night and the guy was seemingly very obnoxious, despite my mates not being the over exuberant fan boys :p

Apparently he has a well established rep for being a bit of a twat with fans/members of the public and its quite at odds with his rep at the club as being a very hard worker and also very dedicated to making it at Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Downing has been told he can leave in Jan according to Echo.

On phone so won't be linking

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭skydish79

i've heard this Kess, know a guy who bumped into him in Liverpool one saturday night and the guy was seemingly very obnoxious, despite my mates not being the over exuberant fan boys :p

Apparently he has a well established rep for being a bit of a twat with fans/members of the public and its quite at odds with his rep at the club as being a very hard worker and also very dedicated to making it at Liverpool.

Interesting when you think back to how Rodgers singled out morgan for praise in being liverpool and took a harder attitude with sterling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

skydish79 wrote: »
    Interesting when you think back to how Rodgers singled out morgan for praise in being liverpool and took a harder attitude with sterling

by all accounts Morgan is a terrific trainer and going by that documentary seems to be the model pro on the training ground, which makes his off the field attitude all the more baffling.

228860.jpg

Woo \o/

• Advertisement

STEWART DOWNING has been told that he can leave Liverpool FC during the January transfer window.

The Reds will listen to offers for the 28-year-old winger, who cost £20million from Aston Villa in the summer of 2011.

Downing has found himself down the pecking order since the appointment of Brendan Rodgers and is surplus to requirements at Anfield.

He hasn't started a Premier League game since the opening day defeat at West Brom, with the likes of Raheem Sterling, Suso and Oussama Assaidi having been selected ahead of him.

Back in September Rodgers warned that Downing needed to show more ‘hunger and desire’ if he wanted to remain at the club beyond the winter transfer window.

Liverpool FC v Anzhi Makhachkala in Europa League match at Anfield. Pics Gavin Trafford
    Oct 25 2012
    View
    The former England midfielder responded by vowing to fight for his place and insisted he wanted to remain with Liverpool until 2015, when his current contract expires.

However, despite getting the winner in the Europa League home clash with Anzhi, Downing has remained on the periphery of Rodgers' squad.

Liverpool are resigned to suffering a sizeable loss on the former Middlesbrough man but will hope to get back around half of what they paid Villa for his services.

If a suitable offer is received then Rodgers will put that cash towards signing the ‘two or three’ attacking players he wants to boost his firepower in January.

Read more: Liverpool Echo http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/11/16/stewart-downing-told-he-can-leave-liverpool-fc-100252-32245677/#ixzz2CO98CyAm

Liverpool FC v Wigan preview: Time for Reds to raise the bar says Brendan Rodgers
    by James Pearce, Liverpool EchoNov 16

THE statistics are there to be manipulated depending on whether your glass is half-full or half-empty.

Liverpool go into tomorrow’s home Premier League clash with Wigan Athletic on a high after a gutsy fightback to earn a point at Stamford Bridge last weekend.

That result in the capital extended the Reds’ unbeaten league run to six matches – the club’s best sequence since last November.

However, four of those games have ended in stalemate and that’s the reason why the table still makes such unpleasant viewing.

Sitting 13th after 11 matches, Liverpool are closer to the bottom three than the top four – looking up at the likes of Stoke, Swansea, Fulham, West Ham and West Brom.

Manager Brendan Rodgers insists progress is being made but is only too aware that it’s time to raise the bar.

After a tough run of fixtures, the Reds need to get back to winning ways – starting with the visit of Roberto Martinez’s Latics.

“There are some games in the season where a draw is a good result,” said Rodgers.

“At Stamford Bridge, when you are 1-0 down with not long to go, to come back and get a draw is a good point. But it is no good if you don’t capitalise on that with your home games. It is important for us to show the resilience and steel in the team.

“These are formation stones for us going forward but it is important that we just continue to play as we have been.

“If we worry too much about winning, then you have that fear of making a mistake. I want the players to play with that freedom and expression within our structure. That will allow us to get the results eventually.

“We have shown resilience and character in the last six games. But we have to start winning if we are going to progress up the league. That is what we want to do. You have to be relaxed. The players want to win and we want to win. The supporters want to win. It is about how you go about it on the field.

“We will only do that when we are happy and content with our game. We need to fight for the result and get that wee bit of luck.”

Liverpool’s poor home form is a problem Rodgers inherited. Last season the Reds won just six of their 19 league matches at Anfield – the club’s worst return since 1951/52.

The Northern Irishman is still battling to find a solution. Reading are the only side to leave empty-handed in half a dozen home league games so far this term.

Twelve points out of 18 have been spurned with the Reds only finding the net five times in nine hours of football.

However, Rodgers has dismissed suggestions that his players feel burdened by pressure when they step out at Anfield.

“Hand on heart, I really don’t sense that,” he said. “Anfield is a wonderful place to play and the supporters have been incredible for us this season. I’ve had people come to the games and sat with people afterwards, including opposition managers, who have commented on the great support and how they believe in what we’re doing.

“I don’t feel that there is a burden. It’s the responsibility of us as players and management to get results consistently.

“I had the same thing at Swansea. The support we got was great and that gave us the momentum to push forward and win a lot of games at home.

“This is what Anfield has to be like and the supporters are playing their part. They have given us incredible backing.”

When he took over back in the summer, Rodgers talked of making a trip to Anfield “the longest 90 minutes of an opponents’ life”.

“I think there have been games where it has been like that but we just haven’t finished our opportunities off,” he said.

“There have been games where the performances have been relentless with great creativity but we haven’t been clinical enough.

“We can’t let it burden us. We are where we are. We have to win games and that will ultimately give us confidence.”

Beating Wigan has proved beyond Liverpool in recent years. Remarkably, of all the current Premier League clubs, the Latics have the longest unbeaten record against the Reds in the top-flight.

Liverpool haven’t defeated them in five attempts going back to December 2009 and Wigan’s shock 2-1 win at Anfield in March kick-started their successful bid to avoid relegation.

Martinez subsequently found his way on to Fenway Sports Group’s list of candidates when they were looking for Kenny Dalglish’s successor. The Spaniard was interviewed by John W Henry but Liverpool’s owners ultimately opted for Rodgers.

“I’ve got a lot of respect for Roberto,” added Rodgers. “He did a terrific job at Swansea.

“He went to Wigan and has done an excellent job. Our philosophies are on the same lines in terms of how we want to work.

“Wigan beat Liverpool at Anfield last season so I know it’s going to be a tough game. But we are in a good moment and we want to turn these draws into wins.

“The players are bleeding the tank dry every week for me, they are putting everything into the game and I just hope very soon they will get the rewards for that. To come back like we did at Chelsea, without playing at our best, was good, but it’s important we win at home.”

Read more: Liverpool Echo http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/11/16/liverpool-fc-v-wigan-preview-time-for-reds-to-raise-the-bar-says-brendan-rodgers-100252-32243312/2/#ixzz2CO9iQdiB

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Morgan is only a kid still, a lot of whom are arrogant, even when not playing for a PL club. Also, some people are just assholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

gafferino wrote: »
    STEWART DOWNING has been told that he can leave Liverpool FC during the January transfer window.

Hopefully Joe Cole as well :mad:

Unfortunately for us cole is practically useless to most clubs, downing could still do a job somewhere I'm sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,401 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

5starpool wrote: »
    Morgan is only a kid still, a lot of whom are arrogant, even when not playing for a PL club. Also, some people are just assholes.

Stumpy the Elephant pops into my head here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Buy Downing get Cole free!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Stumpy the Elephant pops into my head here.

Stampy was indeed an asshole of an elephant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Kess73 wrote: »

By all accounts the total opposite of Sterling when met by Joe Public. There have been lots of glowing accounts about how Sterling takes time to talk to kids .

Possibly because they're probably all his kids

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

If we get a 1/4 of what we paid for Downing back, I'll be quite surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Agreed, can't see us getting anymore than 5m for him. Oh well, at least it's great to see Lucas back training, that has certainly brightened up my day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    we might get a turd though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Anyone wrote: »
    Buy Downing get Cole free!

Don't forget the fine print though, it'll cost you close to 200k a week on wages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Another great pic from training today. Hopefully we see a lot of this smile.

14ya4wi.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

PRAF wrote: »
    Don't forget the fine print though, it'll cost you close to 200k a week on wages!

The two of them would have to be living in dreamland to think their next club will entertain such figures in fairness.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement