Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web development online/distance learning

Options
  • 08-04-2015 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi guys, just wondering if any of you can give me some advice. I'm interested in learning about web development and am looking around for the right course to take. Ideally I'd like to get a qualification from a college with recognised courses, rather than do an online course that won't hold water on job applications.

I'm seeing lots of masters courses for things like software development and data analytics, but I want to learn more about the web end of things like building websites, applications, and a little bit of design. I work full time, so it would have to be part time or online/distance learning.

I have an arts degree, so I'm looking around at conversion courses or ones that will teach fundamentals to graduates from different areas. I currently have a place on DIT's qualifier course for their MSc in computing which starts in Setpember, but I'm now looking at a move to Galway and that MSc is very much software/data/information architecture based anyway.

Is there any way I can do this without going back to do a degree or having to do it full time? I'm well aware that I can learn a lot myself (I'm already learning about computing and programming basics and a little JavaScript and Python) and that there are great sites like Udemy that offer quality online courses. My main concern is that I want a genuine career change, so I'd like a qualification and want it to be a good course that will be acceptable to possible future employers. I'm prepared to put in the hard work, and am just looking through all of my options.

I know this has been a long post but I'm trying to be practical as possible about my options, so if any of you have advice I'd really appreciate it.

Edit: just to say, I've seen some online courses offered by the Fitzwillism Institute, but as far as I can gather they don't have a great reputation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

If you're moving to Galway, you can do a HDip in computing in NUIG - not sure if it's possible to do it part-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭BlueFairy

Thanks bp, I actually spent a good while today looking through the courses offered by NUIG. The HDip looks interesting, if I could find decent part time work I might just be able to do it or even do one of the online courses. It's definitely an option anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Nolic

You should try looking at these. They're full time courses but only last the year. They're extremely full on but by the end of it, you'll have no problem creating a website and even programming. - springboardcoursesdotie/results?skills[]=ICT

A good website for tutorials is wwwdotw3schoolsdotcom/

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Nolic

You should try looking at these. They're full time courses but only last the year. They're extremely full on but by the end of it, you'll have no problem creating a website and even programming. - springboardcoursesdotie/results?skills[]=ICT

A good website for tutorials is wwwdotw3schoolsdotcom/

I can't add URL so change the dot to a .

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Celephais

Hey, I'm actually in a similar situation to yourself. I'm going for the qualifier course in DIT myself this September - if you're sticking in Dublin, then give me a shout. Might help to bounce some ideas off of someone in the same situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 happyguy91

Celephais wrote: »
    Hey, I'm actually in a similar situation to yourself. I'm going for the qualifier course in DIT myself this September - if you're sticking in Dublin, then give me a shout. Might help to bounce some ideas off of someone in the same situation.

Hi Celephais,

Sorry for just jumping in here! I was wondering did you submit any additional docs with your application? It doesn't specify if you need to submit a personal statement for example. I was thinking I might include one anyway, but am just looking for a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭eoinp11

happyguy91 wrote: »
    Hi Celephais,

Sorry for just jumping in here! I was wondering did you submit any additional docs with your application? It doesn't specify if you need to submit a personal statement for example. I was thinking I might include one anyway, but am just looking for a second opinion.

Hey, yea i sent a personal statement but as i didn't have a level 8 degree i needed a good letter to support my application, and it worked!

Trying to decide between the masters qualifier then the masters or doing the higher diploma in DIT.

Are you applying directly through DIT?

eoinp11 wrote: »
    Trying to decide between the masters qualifier then the masters or doing the higher diploma in DIT.

If you're looking for work afterwards, do the masters - worth infinitely more than the HDip

bpmurray wrote: »
    If you're looking for work afterwards, do the masters - worth infinitely more than the HDip

Yea i can see how that would distinguish me that much more!

If i can get the free fees via sprinboard for the Hdip + work exp, i will do that then use the money saved to go on to do the masters.

Will take a bit longer but i reckon i'll absorb more, will have work exp and be better off financially. And if i get offered work prior to starting the masters, maybe someone will help pay for that!

Have you any advice regarding DIT vs NCI vs DBS for their computing / overall reputation for employment?

Have you any advice regarding DIT vs NCI vs DBS for their computing / overall reputation for employment?

I don't know if we've ever hired anyone from NCI or DBS (well, I've never interviewed them) but plenty from DIT, so I suppose it probably has a better name. Of course, the universities have an even better reputation, but you don't seem interested in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭TeRmInAlCrAzY

If you can handle being self-directed, and it not really being a recognised course, but you actually want to learn to code, you could do worse than check out freecodecamp.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I don't know if we've ever hired anyone from NCI or DBS (well, I've never interviewed them) but plenty from DIT, so I suppose it probably has a better name. Of course, the universities have an even better reputation, but you don't seem interested in them.

Would you higher someone fro NCI or DBS though ?

Well i am very interested in them, i was originally aiming at Maynooth, but the opportunity to have the €6000 fees paid is leaning me towards the likes of DIT.

That'll hopefully allow me to go on and do a masters, maybe in one of the universities. Would the difference between DIT and the universities make much in the difference of your opinion of an applicant?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 scut_07

Has anybody any experience in doing Web Development in Griffith College in Limerick, was offered the course starting in september coming. Have heard mixed reviews so im a bit tentative in accepting it.

scut_07 wrote: »
    Has anybody any experience in doing Web Development in Griffith College in Limerick, was offered the course starting in september coming. Have heard mixed reviews so im a bit tentative in accepting it.

My friend is doing a bachelors in computer science in Griffith. He originally admitted it was not a great college, but 2 years in and he is saying he see's no problem with it. I did also read a lot of people talking crap about it though.

Thanks, I'm still on the fence about it being honest cause I'm hearing so many mixed reviews! Guess there's only one way to find out!

Thanks, I'm still on the fence about it being honest cause I'm hearing so many mixed reviews! Guess there's only one way to find out!

have you any other options? what are your goals?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Are you keen to be a web developer in particular or are you just interested in a development course in general?

You probably know already but there are similar courses running in UL and LIT that probably have more of a proven track record to be honest. Saying that though, there might be nothing wrong with Griffith.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭NeutralHandle

Griffith Springboard HDip in Web Development modules:

Object Oriented Programming (Java)
    Relational Databases - includes joint assessment with Object Oriented Programming module (project involving both).
    Architecture and Operating Systems
    Computer Networks
    Web Development and UI Design (Mainly HTML5 and CSS; a little javascript, jQuery. No exam - assessed wholly by projects)
    Server Side Web Development (PHP)
    Web Development Professional Certification (PHP - awarded a PHP preparedness certificate from zend, you don't do the actual industrial certification test)
    Society and the Web
    Cloud Services and Platforms
    Development Project
    Industry Placement

LIT HDIP in Multimedia and Web Development is also a Springboard course which has a significant intersection but a stronger creative focus (Griffith is more technically focused). It includes 3D animation, making and editing videos, Flash for example, as well as Relational Databases and Web. Programming languages taught are PHP (including MVC/CodeIgniter) and javascript. You get a room with high spec Macs pretty much dedicated to the course which is nice. It also involves a project and an industrial placement.

I haven't been a student in either college. I know that some excellent students emerged from both of these Springboard courses.

Griffith Springboard HDip in Web Development modules:

I haven't been a student in either college. I know that some excellent students emerged from both of these Springboard courses.

Oh yea? How have they been with finding employment after completing HDip? Do they feel "competent" or like they are still only beginning?

• Advertisement

How have they been with finding employment after completing HDip?

The Web Development HDip in Griffith Limerick ran for the first time last year. Like the last intake of students in the LIT course, they'd still be doing the industrial placement at the moment, so it's yet to be seen how they fare in getting jobs. I heard that almost all the previous year's students in the LIT course gained employment.
    Do they feel "competent" or like they are still only beginning?

For the more technical directions, unless they've gone well beyond the scope of a course (and some people do), graduates are just beginning - doesn't matter what course they did.

For the more creative directions, I know that a few students have produced very impressive Web sites - easily a professional standard already. Also some great multimedia work in the LIT course. Students from there won a Road Safety Authority video competition last year for example.

The Web Development HDip in Griffith Limerick ran for the first time last year. Like the last intake of students in the LIT course, they'd still be doing the industrial placement at the moment, so it's yet to be seen how they fare in getting jobs. I heard that almost all the previous year's students in the LIT course gained employment.

For the more technical directions, unless they've gone well beyond the scope of a course (and some people do), graduates are just beginning - doesn't matter what course they did.

For the more creative directions, I know that a few students have produced very impressive Web sites - easily a professional standard already. Also some great multimedia work in the LIT course. Students from there won a Road Safety Authority video competition last year for example.

More of an edit than a further response, but I can't edit posts: Graduates from other Springboard courses in Griffith have generally found suitable employment from what I've seen, and I'd expect graduates of the Web Development H Dip to have good prospects.

Thanks for the response, i am doing the Hdip in DIT, but i am sure it is somewhat applicable also.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Oh yea? How have they been with finding employment after completing HDip? Do they feel "competent" or like they are still only beginning?
    If you put the hard work in for the year and do well in a H.Dip, the opportunities are definitely out there as regards employment. You'll definitely get interviews anyway. From there on it's up to you to sell yourself. Sure, there are some companies that will not entertain the idea of hiring a H.Dip but there are many others who will.

You will feel like you are only beginning after finishing but this is the way for some graduates of degree courses as well (to a lesser extent I suppose).

Yes. College programmes have been becoming more standardised - not just across the country, but also across the EU. This is an effort to conform to the concept of free travel within the EU. The aim is that if you are a student in an EU country you should be able to move to another EU country and continue an equivalent programme without significant issues.

Another aspect of this is that programmes - and I think the colleges themselves - are going to be consolidated in Ireland. The idea is that only one programme of any given type will run in a particular region, rather than having several competing programmes. This will take advantage of economies of scale - which means much larger numbers of students on a given course year, and probably much bigger class sizes. I don't know how this will apply to private colleges.

Decos wrote: »
    Are you keen to be a web developer in particular or are you just interested in a development course in general?

You probably know already but there are similar courses running in UL and LIT that probably have more of a proven track record to be honest. Saying that though, there might be nothing wrong with Griffith.

Ya im keen to try and make a career out of it tbh. Been learning myself online through places like lynda.com and teamtreehouse and i've gotten alot of the basics down so i'm keen to progress.

I already applied for the one in LIT and was rejected as I didnt meet the requirements, I'm only really looking at springboard courses at the moment , don't think I could afford to pay for a fulltime course myself.

Ive seen one or two posts on here absolutely slating Griffith so thats what was throwing me off the place, I already did a ordinary degree in construction in LIT so I know the place well and it would have been first choice.

Given the circumstances, do you guys think a year long course is long enough to get someone "job ready" and employable?

Cheers for the responses guys :)

Sorry lads, never read further down and I can see my questions have already been answered!

Advertisement