Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning SQL queries

Options
  • 25-06-2015 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My employer is introducing a new database, which is oracle based, and as such, I need to develop/learn how to interroagate and run SQL queries.

Can anyone recommend a course which would help with this ?

Thanks,
    Eamon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e40540/sqllangu.htm#CNCPT88899

I would also suggest seeing if someone has created a short online tutorial somewhere. It should be possible to install a developer or trial version of oracle on your own machine, import a tutorial/sample database and work through the tutorial.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ciangk

Try w3schools.com and thenewboston.com

SQL is not too difficult.
    It's pretty easy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

ciangk wrote: »
    SQL is not too difficult.
    It's pretty easy! :D

Its easy until you start having to troubleshoot some idiots 1000 line query with unnecessary unions and joins. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

The idea that SQL is easy is one of my bugbears. It's like saying C is easy because you can write an Hello World application. SQL is as complex, or even more so considering domain logic is baked in, as any other main stream language.

In terms of courses, Pluralsight seems decent enough – I used their free trial for some other stuff and was pretty happy with the quality of course content. This http://www.pluralsight.com/courses/introduction-to-sql course seems to be well suited to a beginner in SQL. The free trial is 10 days though you have to use a credit card and cancel before the trial is over so you don't get charged.

Just note that many databases have their own flavour of SQL. So for Oracle it is PL/SQL - though they're all pretty similar especially for the less advanced stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

Aswerty wrote: »
    The idea that SQL is easy is one of my bugbears. It's like saying C is easy because you can write an Hello World application. SQL is as complex, or even more so considering domain logic is baked in, as any other main stream language.

In terms of courses, Pluralsight seems decent enough – I used their free trial for some other stuff and was pretty happy with the quality of course content. This http://www.pluralsight.com/courses/introduction-to-sql course seems to be well suited to a beginner in SQL. The free trial is 10 days though you have to use a credit card and cancel before the trial is over so you don't get charged.

Just note that many databases have their own flavour of SQL. So for Oracle it is PL/SQL - though they're all pretty similar especially for the less advanced stuff.

In my 25 years in IT never heard anyone calling C easy :) And I remember abandoning its "easiness" in favour of Pascal in the University.

As regards SQL, it IS relatively easy (for sure, comparing to C and other low level languages). I mean, ANSI SQL. It is different from PL/SQL which is an Oracle procedural extension to ANSI SQL. PL/SQL deals with variables, collections, conditions, exceptions, and other non native SQL constructs while SQL (even in Oracle) is really about DDL (Data Definition Language) and DML (Data Manipulation Language) statements on the table level.

For the OP, try to abstract from Oracle specifics for the beginning. Use just basic ANSI SQL CRUD (create, read, update and delete) commands - it should give you a gentle intro into the relational DBMS world. Only when you get comfortable with the fundamentals of SQL, you should consider moving to the next, PL/SQL step. This is where the heavy programming starts in the Oracle world with things like functions, procedures, packages and triggers getting under (or out of) your control.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

none wrote: »
    In my 25 years in IT never heard anyone calling C easy :) And I remember abandoning its "easiness" in favour of Pascal in the University.

As regards SQL, it IS relatively easy (for sure, comparing to C and other low level languages). I mean, ANSI SQL. It is different from PL/SQL which is an Oracle procedural extension to ANSI SQL. PL/SQL deals with variables, collections, conditions, exceptions, and other non native SQL constructs while SQL (even in Oracle) is really about DDL (Data Definition Language) and DML (Data Manipulation Language) statements on the table level.

For the OP, try to abstract from Oracle specifics for the beginning. Use just basic ANSI SQL CRUD (create, read, update and delete) commands - it should give you a gentle intro into the relational DBMS world. Only when you get comfortable with the fundamentals of SQL, you should consider moving to the next, PL/SQL step. This is where the heavy programming starts in the Oracle world with things like functions, procedures, packages and triggers getting under (or out of) your control.

I didn't say C was easy I was saying SQL was only easy if you just do the basics which is the same for any other language including C. And I stand by that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

The basic CRUD operations are easy enough to learn.

Advertisement