Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

impressive 10year old writer of short stories

Options
  • 22-08-2013 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Dear posters

My daughter has written stories for the past number of years and a talent that was recognised by teachers. What is the best way to take this a bit further to develop her skill. Some of these stories make good reading for kids.

Thank you in advance for your help

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Let her continue writing.

Encourage her to read a wide variety of books.

At her age, I wouldn't do much more. If she is doing it because she loves it, I think that should remain her motivation, and I would be reluctant to send someone that age into a class or workshop situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Tbh, the best you can do is encourage her reading and writing.

And, children grow out of things. And I don't think there's anything you can do if she loses interest in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Literary festivals across the country often offer children's workshops for those so inclined. These aren't intensive, joy-depleting experiences; just a fun way for kids to nurture a skill they may or may not possess. Does her school have a newsletter or annual that maybe she could write something for? This might be a positive platform for her to increase her confidence. There are also various competitions online and in the press for younger people, but the competitive element of these might dishearten or discourage her.

I do agree with other posters, though - if she has a genuine love for writing it will develop of its own accord. Reading is the most important thing, though, and even if the writing falls by the wayside, books will stand to her.

Advertisement