Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revising published works

Options
  • 09-08-2013 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭

What's the regular way to go about revising a piece of writing that's already published?

Well, it seems pretty clear with printed books, but with e-books... hmmm.

Read over a book I self-published years back. Now I want to completely rewrite it. Is it ok to just replace one file with another, or should I make a separate version?

Not too sure what the norm is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

If you published it, you can do what you like with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

EileenG wrote: »
    If you published it, you can do what you like with it.

Yep, revise away! Although keep in mind, especially with Amazon, it may re-appear with a new publishing date as the 'revision' may require you to republish the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Danpad wrote: »
    Yep, revise away! Although keep in mind, especially with Amazon, it may re-appear with a new publishing date as the 'revision' may require you to republish the work.

But it'll just replace it? Any idea if it affects reviews? I've some nice ones I'd prefer not to lose.

I wasn't sure if there was some etiquette or tradition in place with eBooks, with respect to the aul revisions and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Note - in my experience:
    I needed to revise the description of one of my books on Amazon.com so I did just that and had to republish it so to speak. When it went 'live' again I hadn't lost any reviews.

Advertisement