Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

Get rid of Vermaelen and buy Berbatov???
    You lads are off the head.:pac:

Ben Arfa to Arsenal anyone???:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I understand ya questioning me why I rate Campbell
    I don't understand how ya have afobe ahead of him???

From the articles I read about him
    And the few times I see him play with costs rica, just think he is gonna be a top top player

Everything I've seen suggests that Afobe is further along and closer to the first team than Campbell is.
    Frisbee wrote: »
    Just thinking, a cheeky punt on Berbatov wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Plenty of pros:

He'd immediately become our second best striker after van Persie.
    He can provide depth in the attacking mid position.
    Premier League experience.
    He looks like a drug smuggler.

Can't see it ever happening, but would be a decent option imo.

Former spurs AND United player? I'm sure he'd be very popular :pac:

I think adobe will come good but is def not further along, he haven't scored goals and championship level yet, where as Campbell is doing it at international level

RVP 11 wrote: »

I'd like it
    Just don't believe it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I think adobe will come good but is def not further along, he haven't scored goals and championship level yet, where as Campbell is doing it at international level

New sponsors? :pac:

• Advertisement

dorgasm wrote: »

New sponsors? :pac:

I'm not even gomna edit that now :)

Get rid of Vermaelen and buy Berbatov???
    You lads are off the head.:pac:

When ya think bout last season it will be like swapping a like for like player
    Berbatov will get us about six goals and won't be able to defend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,198 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I wasn't too impressed with Podolski's performances for Germany so far. He is supposed to be a good player and might improve as the tournament goes on but i was led to believe he's the bee's knees. Just haven't seen it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I wasn't too impressed with Podolski's performances for Germany so far. He is supposed to be a good player and might improve as the tournament goes on but i was led to believe he's the bee's knees. Just haven't seen it yet.

100 caps for Germany at 27 - he must be doing something right !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,198 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

greendom wrote: »
    100 caps for Germany at 27 - he must be doing something right !

Yes i agree but i just haven't see it yet. Hope he produces it at the Emirates.

• Advertisement

I think until we see him under Wengers guidance for a few weeks/months, we can't say how good he will/can be.
    He wasn't nurtured by Bayern when he was just 21 years old, so i think give him a little time in an Arsenal shirt and we will see the best he has to offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Yes i agree but i just haven't see it yet. Hope he produces it at the Emirates.

In fairness, if you looked at van Persies form at the Euros and used it to try and judge him, you would think he would be more comparable to Chamakh/Park than to Henry.

I would like to see him play well and get an idea of what he is capable of but I think we will have to wait to see him in an Arsenal jersey before we can even begin to make a call.

In a way, I would like to see Giroud (and others we are apparently interested in ) play well too, but then again if he does his price could go up, so maybe it's better that they don't perform to the best of their abilities until they have signed the dotted line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

No thanks, we have enough wingers. And he's not worth anywhere near what they want for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Podolski keeps his place with Germany thanks to his performances... with Germany. His goals seem to come mainly in qualifiers against Moldavia & co. Never decisive in a big game. And a lot of his play depends on his shots from distance, even then he didn't manage that for months with Germany, most of his shots went wide.
    He's a good player when surrounded by the likes of Ozil, Sweinstiger, Klose...etc. At Koln, he's been average at best, but Wenger could make him like he was a few seasons ago. Looking forward to seeing him in the EPL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Podolski keeps his place with Germany thanks to his performances... with Germany. His goals seem to come mainly in qualifiers against Moldavia & co. Never decisive in a big game. And a lot of his play depends on his shots from distance, even then he didn't manage that for months with Germany, most of his shots went wide.
    He's a good player when surrounded by the likes of Ozil, Sweinstiger, Klose...etc. At Koln, he's been average at best, but Wenger could make him like he was a few seasons ago. Looking forward to seeing him in the EPL

Average at best with a return of 18 goals and 7 assists in 31 apps last season, that stat says better than average to me?

I think he will be a very good signing for Arsenal, certainly adds some much needed depth to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

At Koln, he's been average at best, but Wenger could make him like he was a few seasons ago. Looking forward to seeing him in the EPL
    Average at best with a return of 18 goals and 7 assists in 31 apps last season, that stat says better than average to me?

I think he will be a very good signing for Arsenal, certainly adds some much needed depth to the team.

I think he made the team of the season just gone by. Not bad for a player at a relegated club if you ask me. Very much looking forward to see what he can do. I remember being very disappointed that we didn't sign him when he went off to Bayern!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Absolutely.

I put more store in a fella getting 18 and 7 in a demonstrably bad team where service is bound to be poor, than getting the same with Bayern Munich, where service is guaranteed to be better, and frankly, teams roll over and goals can be scored for fun.

meriwether wrote: »
    Absolutely.

I put more store in a fella getting 18 and 7 in a demonstrably bad team where service is bound to be poor, than getting the same with Bayern Munich, where service is guaranteed to be better, and frankly, teams roll over and goals can be scored for fun.

Kevin Phillips? :pac:

Kevin Phillips? :pac:

He had Kilbane putting them on a plate.

Not a fair analogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Frisbee wrote: »
    Just thinking, a cheeky punt on Berbatov wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Plenty of pros:

He'd immediately become our second best striker after van Persie.
    He can provide depth in the attacking mid position.
    Premier League experience.
    He looks like a drug smuggler.

Can't see it ever happening, but would be a decent option imo.
    Jesus, if we couldn't stand Arshavin's laziness, how could we cope with watching Berbatov?!
    I've always thought he was hugely overrated. Hoping he proves me wrong though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Z0Ghf.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Finally someone from Arsenal said something about Giroud
    "Giroud didn't play much (at the Euros so far), but he's going to be an Arsenal player 90 per cent next season.

"I think he has exceptional potential and will integrate very well in our collective and our way of playing.

"He is a real team player and knows how to combine with other players and I'm sure he will do well with us."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭TheBa

@gosplan

Another Arseblog man, is it?

Seriously guys, anybody not subscribed should have a look. An intelligent, funny, well-written daily blog, with additional latest news stories. Know your club!!

https://www.facebook.com/thearseblog

Plus, an Irish dude writes it :)

TheBa wrote: »
    @gosplan

Another Arseblog man, is it?

I am indeed but got the story from f365 - who probably did just swipe it from arseblog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Two strikers signed:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18545371

Keep RvP and that will be 3 strikers :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Cant help feeling he will be another Chamakh. 12 Million isn't too bad a fee though as long as Van the man stays. Thing is though where will Giroud fit in?
    I don't think we will see any other players come in this transfer window.

jank wrote: »
    Cant help feeling he will be another Chamakh.

That's always the obvious worry. on the bright side though, he does have a much better scoring record than Chamakh and is significantly younger.
    12 Million isn't too bad a fee though as long as Van the man stays. Thing is though where will Giroud fit in?

IMO, he's for the future. We just got a 20+ goal a year big front man but he's still young for his position. Long term he's the replacement for RVP but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he played understudy for a year first.

Bah, that's what they all said before Pod and Giroud. Wenger's on a spending spree :D

On a related note, I think it must be getting tough for RVP to leave at this point. If he part of him does want to stay, then surely the events so far of this summer are appealing to that.

Only 200-250k a week will tempt RVP away now, one can hope.

Cant help feeling he will be another Chamakh. 12 Million isn't too bad a fee though as long as Van the man stays. Thing is though where will Giroud fit in?

Why do you think he will be another Chamakh? Because he comes from the French league?

Maybe he's another Wiltord?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Sao Paulo - loanee Denilson looks set to be heading back to Arsenal after the club admitted they are unable to afford his transfer fee

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement