Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SSD's, worth the money?

• 01-02-2015 4:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Are SSD's really worth the money? they cost around 80-150€. I've only just started my first computer build for gaming, browsing, editing etc but I decided against an ssd due to price and not really knowing too much about them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

derb4 wrote: »
    Are SSD's really worth the money? they cost around 80-150€. I've only just started my first computer build for gaming, browsing, editing etc but I decided against an ssd due to price and not really knowing too much about them.

Without a doubt worth it. Anyone that has one will say the same.

A 120 gig can be got for 65

A 250 gig one 100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

SSD's are quite literally beyond their material worth. Wouldn't be without one going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

If you have a low budget, it's not worth getting one if it will require a big sacrifice on a processor or something - if you can't afford one now, you can get a HDD instead and add a SSD when you can afford it. Otherwise, yes it is always worth getting an SSD.

As long as you're not using your SSD for infrequently-accessed files, or filling it with downloaded movies, it's worth it. It's more effective to use a HDD for that stuff and spending the savings on other components.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

You'll notice day-to-day the benefit of an SSD over HDD more than you would upgrading any other component imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Absoluvely wrote: »
    If you have a low budget, it's not worth getting one if it will require a big sacrifice on a processor or something - if you can't afford one now, you can get a HDD instead and add a SSD when you can afford it. Otherwise, yes it is always worth getting an SSD.

Other way around makes more sense. If you have to choose in a new build, go SSD first, storage later. Connecting a new storage drive is trivial compared with the effort of migrating a windows install/re-installing windows and re-formatting the HDD.

On a new build you're not going to accumulate terabytes of data overnight.

You'd get a 120/240gb ssd for the same price you would 1tb drives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Simply yes!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

SSDs are great. Your machine will boot faster and programs and games will load stupidly fast. I can reboot my PCI-e SSD equipped rMBP faster than some of my colleague's hard drive encumbered machines take to fire up Word.

You're not buying space, you're buying speed. Understanding the various levels of memory/storage that make up a computer is important here. Disks are non-volitile large and slow while CPU caches are small and extremely fast. RAM is the middle ground where everything that you want open from disk but can't fit into cache sits, but is also volatile. SSDs sit between disk and RAM, they are a great place to keep your OS and essential apps.

Obviously you can do away with the disk completly but if you need storage and space a cheap SSD and a disk is more economical. Intel and Apple even have their own systems to pool a disk and an SSD into a single dynamic logical volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 derb4

Thanks everyone! I'll definitely buy one as soon as possible. I actually went for a 1TB HDD but now I feel I might regret that haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Thanks everyone! I'll definitely buy one as soon as possible. I actually went for a 1TB HDD but now I feel I might regret that haha

Nah all in good time derp derp.

As said the moving all your windows from the hdd to the ssd bit is a pain in the asinine. But when you finally get it all done and dusted.the ssd thing, you'll get it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Why? There's nothing wrong with having a drive that big on a PC, its pretty much standard considering disks are pushibg 5-6TB now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Short answer - Yes. Long answer - YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

In a word: Yes.

In lots of words: omgomgomgomgtotallyyes.

Actually, I suppose that's still only one word...

I recently finished a build for my girlfriend, cobbled together from some second hand stuff from me, some freebies, and some new stuff, etc. In total she paid about €550 for it (including a monitor), and I still put a 256GB SSD in there.

Unless you really, really, need more than ~250GB of storage for a month or so (time it takes to save up for a 1TB secondary drive) there is absolutely no reason why every build here - regardless of budget - shouldn't include an SSD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Got one for Christmas for my new build. Amazing Windows 8.1 boots up in 3 seconds.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭circadian

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Yes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Worth the money yes. Use Clonezilla live CD to make a complete clone of your OS onto the SSD. Takes about half an hour, OS is as it was except faster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Got SSDs in all my machines now, and they have all been transformed. It should be the number one upgrade priority for anyone these days, unless your processor is truly awful obviously.

Advertisement