Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade, at last

Options
  • 31-01-2015 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

So, I've decided to finally upgrade the old system. It's been on pretty much the same for more then two years now, so it's well overdue.

It's running
    AMD Phenom (unsure of model) 3.9GHz
    12GB of Ram
    Radeon HD6850
    MSI motherboard
    120GB Sad
    1TB HDD X2
    Aerocool case

It's a decent system, but I've noticed lots of dropped frames in games the last while. dayz was unplayable since release. Arma 3 is the same. I've avoid any of the last games as I know it won't play smoothly.

The real use for the system is PhotoShop. I've had No trouble with it on Photosho, so I don't need anything for that.

It's mainly an upgrade to play games again.

Budget is 500 or so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

What is your psu? Is the ram ddr2 Or ddr3

Could manage a huge upgrade if the above are able.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

What is your psu? Is the ram ddr2 Or ddr3

Could manage a huge upgrade if the above are able.

DDR3. Don't recall speed, but it's new enough. 6months or so. Corsair brand.
    Psu will need a change. It's only a 400watt cheap one.

Mister Man wrote: »
    DDR3. Don't recall speed, but it's new enough. 6months or so. Corsair brand.
    Psu will need a change. It's only a 400watt cheap one.

Cool ok psu will gots to go.

I looked up an i5 4440 174.

Mobo Asrock h81 42

Psu Termaltake Berlin 630w 49

Total 277 ish delivered. All Parts sourced from hardwareversand.de using geizhals.de discount site.

For the graphic s card.
    Gpu R9 290 available on amazon for 200 pound. The tri x oc edition.

That is going to go over budget at approximately 544. If that too far can lower gpu. Let me know what your thinking.

Need your case details too.to make sure what ever gpu that you decide on fits.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Need your case details too.to make sure what ever gpu that you decide on fits.

Case is a Aerocool Strike-x. Seems fairly big.
    Yea, I can deal with going to that. Should i be looking at a cooler? I remember Intel CPU 's run hot enough

• Advertisement

Mister Man wrote: »
    Case is a Aerocool Strike-x. Seems fairly big.
    Yea, I can deal with going to that. Should i be looking at a cooler? I remember Intel CPU 's run hot enough

Nope stock is fine. Down the line can pick one up. Are you thinking about old Intel cpu? Way cooler and energy efficient.

I know the r9 290 pushing your budget but it is great price/performance. You should be gaming at very high/ultra.

Ps double checked case, Definitely enough room. If you want up the cpu to a i5 4460. 178 will bring budget to an even 550.

Advertisement