Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going back to Nvidia

• 31-01-2015 2:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,627 ✭✭✭✭

Hey.

So im going back to Nvidia but I just dont have a clue of what card to get

My current card is Sapphire Radeon R9 290X Vapor-X OC 8192MB

I want a similar or better spec in Nvidia

Im running 3440×1440 monitor, so I need somthing quite good.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

GTX 980 I think is the only real option for better spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

GTX 980 I think is the only real option for better spec.

And even then you would be losing 4 gigs of ram.

Best of waitin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yer always changing something with your rig headshot, you got the updgrading bug bad man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It seems like the marginal gains you get from a 980 wouldn't be worth it when there's at least 3 new top end cards on the horizon.
    Seeing as you've already got a pretty handy GPU would it not be worth your while waiting at least until the 380/x is officially announced?

Even if you don't want to stick with AMD it might spur a new product or at the very least a price drop from Nvidia.

Even with a 980, at that res you'll probably have to start dialling back settings on newer games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,627 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ED E wrote: »
    Yer always changing something with your rig headshot, you got the updgrading bug bad man!

Hey mate.

Im not that bad :). I havent changed the components for quite awhile and have no notion of changing them anytime soon bar the GPU.

Im probably best off waiting. I dont think any card can reach my GPU at the moment. I could go down the sli route but then I have the headache of spending further money and imagine you still get some games that have issue with sli or crossfire

I like having one powerful card minus AMD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't like AMD that much either but the simple truth is that at the moment, there is no logical better option for you other than wait for the new cards. GTX980 would be a significant cost upgrade with fairly minimal gains, overall - and in the coming months a GTX980 would also significantly drop it value. Running at 4K you really would want dual cards to be honest, might as well make it dual 290X's considering picking up a 2nd 8gb 290x in 6 months or should should be fairly economical for a massive performance boost. There isn't, and won't really be, a single card that will drive 4K with a good lifespan.

I have had no issues with running any game (ultra settings) at a very acceptable frame rate with my 290 tbh. My monitor isnt strictly 4k either, just below it

At this moment for me my 290 can easily run my monitor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Headshot wrote: »
    I have had no issues with running any game (ultra settings) at a very acceptable frame rate with my 290 tbh. My monitor isnt strictly 4k either, just below it

At this moment for me my 290 can easily run my monitor

Then don't buy a new graphics card.

I hate AMD drivers, they are dreadful. Games I never had issues with playing with Nvidia have just been crap for me since moving to AMD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Headshot wrote: »
    Hey mate.

Im not that bad :). I havent changed the components for quite awhile and have no notion of changing them anytime soon bar the GPU.

Im probably best off waiting. I dont think any card can reach my GPU at the moment. I could go down the sli route but then I have the headache of spending further money and imagine you still get some games that have issue with sli or crossfire

I like having one powerful card minus AMD

How did the 290X Vapor-X's perform when you had them in crossfire?

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    How did the 290X Vapor-X's perform when you had them in crossfire?

You know its sad that I barely used the other 290 since I only had 1080p display

Would of been very interesting to see what it would be like now thou

Advertisement