Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is a GTX 780 worth a punt at this stage?

• 30-01-2015 6:31pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello friends and well wishers!

The 780's dropped to about the €320 mark and let's be honest, it's still a great card despite the 9xx's being out. Puts it on par with the 970 price wise, but with the memory issue on the 970 (and my triple monitor setup seems likely to induce its rath from the brief bit of reading I've done) leaves me a bit lukewarm towards it.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Got my new GTX 970 SC yesterday and its a fricking beast,running @ 2560X1080.
    The memory issue is marginal with only a couple of frames lost when accessing more than 3.5 GB vram apparently,plus they are working on a driver for the issue.
    Both great cards either way you look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Shiminay wrote: »
    Hello friends and well wishers!

The 780's dropped to about the €320 mark and let's be honest, it's still a great card despite the 9xx's being out. Puts it on par with the 970 price wise, but with the memory issue on the 970 (and my triple monitor setup seems likely to induce its rath from the brief bit of reading I've done) leaves me a bit lukewarm towards it.

Isn't the 780 a 3 gig card. Making the memory issue on 970 redundant.

a good 970 is going toe to toe with with the 780ti in alot of games.

Really couldn't recommend a 780 over a 970. Its still in its infancy driver wise.
    Maybe r9 290 be more value for money with what you are doing.

Forgot about the 3 gig

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Dcully wrote: »
    The memory issue is marginal with only a couple of frames lost when accessing more than 3.5 GB vram apparently,plus they are working on a driver for the issue.

That's all changed, they're no longer/never were working on a driver for the issue because there is no issue. That's the way the card was designed, they just forgot to tell anybody about it and posted misleading specs in error apparently :rolleyes:

Still the card should be grand, it just kinda screws the pooch when it needs to use that slow 512mb lane, on the plus side there'll be plenty of open box/b stock floating about cheapishly so maybe hold out for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Unless you got one for far less than that, there's no real point in the GTX780 anymore. R9 290 is a way better choice and it's considerably cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Thanks for the insight folks, new PSU is already in the post, so it'll be next month at the earliest before anything gets bought :) Seems like jumping to the 970 is the better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 stfrancisboxer

I'm selling a gigabyte 780 ocd ghz edition :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Architectural design choice man. Look at the memory controller for the L2 in the bottom right. No driver can change the physical make up of the card.

GM204_arch_0-850x657.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,336 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'm using the Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 and it's blasting through anything I throw at it, Can play War Thunder at max settings on the Oculus DK2 without any judder.
    8gb Ram and i5 Devils canyon.

Kirby wrote: »
    Architectural design choice man. Look at the memory controller for the L2 in the bottom right. No driver can change the physical make up of the card.

GM204_arch_0-850x657.jpg

Agreed but at the end of the day we are talking a few frames lost IF the card uses more than 3.5gb, to me in terms of real world use its hardly worth even talking about as the card simply devours everything thrown at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I'm using the Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 and it's blasting through anything I throw at it, Can play War Thunder at max settings on the Oculus DK2 without any judder.
    8gb Ram and i5 Devils canyon.

DK2 is only 1080p resolution, it'd be fairly crap if it couldn't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭Wossack

Im still enjoying my 780 at 1440p - might pick up another once they've come down a bit more

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Agreed but at the end of the day we are talking a few frames lost IF the card uses more than 3.5gb, to me in terms of real world use its hardly worth even talking about as the card simply devours everything thrown at it.

I think its universally tested and proved that only frameloss occurs at 4k and beyond on select games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I wouldn't worry too much about the memory issue. The reviewers didn't notice a difference, so I'm pretty sure you're not going to notice a difference, but as usual people are up in arms about it. :p

As for the 780, it's still a pretty hefty graphics card. I have one (it's a year old now), I don't intend on upgrading it for at least another year to come. If it can be had cheaply it's worth a look even now, but a 290 or 290X would be better options I reckon given their prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Oh yeah don't get me wrong. I'd recommend one easily and would have no issue sticking one in my machine. It's just that talk of drivers "fixing" the issue should not have been proliferated last week as that is not understanding the issue. That's what I was getting at.

Advertisement