Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good quality bike lights.

• 28-07-2014 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

My partner is cycling to and from work, and it's starting to get a bit darker in the morning times. (She works 6am - 2pm)

Were looking for some good quality bike lights to affix. Looking for front and rear lights. They don't need to be bright enough to light up the road, but need to be strong enough to be noticed by traffic. (The road to work has a reasonable bike lane, but not all the way).

Bought a pair from Argos, and noticed the point of fixture was made of plastic. Needless to say, one small bump in the road and this came straight off.

Any suggestions on some good quality (but still reasonable cost) lights?
    Ideally with an adjustable metal bracket/strap to fasten it.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I currently use a Cateye EL-130 on flashing. It's very visible but not blinding. The batteries last a long, long time (specs say 400 hours, which is months on my commute).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I use one (or two) of this along with this rear carrier mount.

Up front I have a reelight SL620 along with an SL220 (front and rear). These light as you pedal so no batteries required and no forgetting to switch them on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

I use a CatEye EL130 at the front, and the brilliant CatEye LD610 at the rear.

In general, flashing modes are better because they make you stand out in traffic (motor vehicle lights don't flash), and the batteries last a lot longer than the steady mode.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..........

a light thread already? we're not there already are we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

This is what I have, bought it last year and they are very good.
    Same price as well.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/smart-lunar-35-lux-lightset/rp-prod70347

• Advertisement

robertxxx wrote: »
    Same price as well.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/smart-lunar-35-lux-lightset/rp-prod70347

I had one of those rear lights but, because the entire light comes out of the back to change batteries, it puts extra strain on the back case clips. Mine came apart on the commute one day and on the replacement, only the lens comes off to change batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If you're anywhere near a tkmaxx, they have Knog Boomers in for 12.99 each at the moment. Great little lights, especially at that price. Get in quick before they're gone! :D

You might even get a matching set!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I use the Infini I-260 range. They're great, easily removable, very small, come with different settings and are very bright if wanted. Only thing is they're usb charged and the charge doesn't last long... but I think I've had to charge them up twice since buying them (haven't done much cycling in the dark).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

I have these Lezyne lights, front and rear. They're pricey, but really good. And best of all, they're rechargeable - via USB stub that you plug directly into the computer.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lezyne-micro-drive-led-light-set/rp-prod111710

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

robertxxx wrote: »
    Same price as well.

Smart Lunar 35 is fantastic front light - bright enough to light your way in total darkness. Haven't managed to break mine after two years so tough as well.

The back light though is so fiddley to turn on and off I gave up on it after a few days.
    Conclusion: get the front light on its own.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/smart-lunar-35-lux-front-light/rp-prod70360

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭jammer84

Have just been looking through lights myself for the evening cycles after work.

Will be keeping an eye on this thread.

Have been looking at the new Lezyne Macro due next month and the micro rear over the past few days.

I want to be seen but also able to return in the dark if getting caught out for any particular reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

franer1970 wrote: »
    Smart Lunar 35 is fantastic front light - bright enough to light your way in total darkness. Haven't managed to break mine after two years so tough as well.

The back light though is so fiddley to turn on and off I gave up on it after a few days.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/smart-lunar-35-lux-front-light/rp-prod70360

I have these but I didn't buy them as a set. I don't find it fiddly at all. I don't find the front bright enough in total darkness (Park/country roads so I use it with a second front light. For most they will be find on their own. They are great lights. I prefer them over the Cateyes I've had. Batteries last a long time. Very bright flash so great for being seen.

A few I know have those Lezyne lights and they are very good too. Next time I'd get a rechargeable light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

I bought this set last year with the original batteries still going strong despite their high brightness but I'm already looking at a secondary or replacement rear light [possibly for the helmet] as I'd prefer to have more than just 2 basic light settings.

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/accessories/lights-reflectors/bikehut-compact-led-light-set#tab1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

franer1970 wrote: »

beauf wrote: »
    I have these but I didn't buy them as a set. I don't find it fiddly at all. I don't find the front bright enough in total darkness (Park/country roads so I use it with a second front light. For most they will be find on their own. They are great lights. I prefer them over the Cateyes I've had. Batteries last a long time. Very bright flash so great for being seen.

A few I know have those Lezyne lights and they are very good too. Next time I'd get a rechargeable light.

Are these as good as it's going to get for country roads for that price? Looking for lights myself for this winter. I'd be riding country roads only so will need to be able to see as well as be seen!!
    Any other suggestions for lights around €30-€40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

G1032 wrote: »
    Are these as good as it's going to get for country roads for that price? Looking for lights myself for this winter. I'd be riding country roads only so will need to be able to see as well as be seen!!

to see on country lanes you'd need something with 250 - 300+ lumens.
    have these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/electron-terra-2-evo-double-light-head-unit/rp-prod74740

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,651 ✭✭✭✭ted1

does anyone use Hub dynamo to power lights?

do they add much resistance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

ted1 wrote: »
    does anyone use Hub dynamo to power lights?

do they add much resistance?

They don't add much resistance (it wouldn't be noticeable when riding), and now with LED technology, suitably small and cheap electronics and rechargeable batteries, the old issue of dynamo lights going out when you stop has been solved too.

The only disadvantage is that you have to change your wheel if the bike didn't come with the hub dynamo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I also have the Cateye EL-130 lights. They're really bright/ sturdy for commuting. The only downfall is that the lights are a little bulky for pockets if you want to take them off when you've parked your bike in town.
    So I bought some of these Knog lights too, great brightness but the silicone body ripped (dont know how), shame because I really liked them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Invincible

G1032 wrote: »

I got a similar one to this off ebay last year, from seller celticsfleet1981, but he has none for sale now, great light from it even on lowest setting.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Enjoydeal-TrustFire-4000Lm-Cycling-Bicycle/dp/B00FRZZPVM/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1408709090&sr=8-13&keywords=trustfire+bike+light

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

People opinion what light is enough varies enormously.

Once you get used to better lights, you find it hard to go back though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,655 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Has anyone tried reelights like they have everywhere in Denmark?
    They seem to rely on magnetic induction with a magnet fixed to the spokes going past a low mounted led. Would solve the need for batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

They seem to rely on magnetic induction with a magnet fixed to the spokes going past a low mounted led. Would solve the need for batteries.

I got a set recently and the front one is ok but the rear one didn't fit over my cassette. I plan to bend it into shape soon. I asked about it on their Facebook page and got no reply. I'm not sure if they're adequate by themselves because I haven't really cycled in the dark since putting it on.

Lidl have helmets on Monday with a built in rear light.

I'm planning to get the front Sparse light and Lightskin seatpost, though that will mean over €200 of lights in total on my bike.

I use them and they're great. You need the long mount arm to fit over a cassette or disc brake and that does result in a bit of springing motion as the magnet passes the light. I use a fork crown front and an axle light front and rear. I also use a smart 1/2 watt battery rear light.

Advertisement