Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone separated from an alcoholic spouse?

Options
  • 31-12-2012 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Apologies in advance as I know this post is going to be rambling and long. But if you can please bear with me.

My husband is an alcoholic, a functioning alcoholic by the looks of it. He has been drinking excessively for over 2 years now, has taken drink at work at times and drink drives on a regular basis. He is nasty and abusive (verbally, never physically) when he as drink taken and I, hand on heart, can say that I hate the sight of the person he becomes when he is drunk. It's so easy to spark off an argument with him. Two particular ones that I will never forget started over a Christmas tree last year and more recently mopping the bathroom floor was the contentious issue. :confused:

We have three kids (10, 7 and 3). He is in total denial that he has a drink problem. He'll make the right sounds when he is trying to make up after a bad argument and will say he does have a problem but he will do nothing about it and within a few days he is drinking again. He has broken so many promises to both me and the kids. Gone back on numerous things he has said he will do and has disappointed/let down the kids on lots of occasions. I've now decided that enough is enough. I cannot help him anymore and I need to think of myself (my mental health is beginning to spiral downwards from the constant mental abuse) and the kids. I told him 3 days ago that I wanted us to separate and that I was seeking legal advice. The solicitor I want to speak to is back to work on Wednesday after the Christmas holidays so I am going to ring then to make an appointment.

I suppose what I'm looking for here isn't so much advice but really hope that things will work out ok for me and my kids. I know what lies ahead is going to be nasty. He won't play fair and I know he will invent lies about me. Underneath I'm a strong person so I do believe I will survive this but I'm terribly worried about my kids. I feel what I'm doing is the best thing for them as living with an alcoholic parent is no walk in the park but I need someone to tell me I'm doing the right thing by removing them from this situation and it's the lesser of two evils. My family are incredibly supportive but they are obviously biased towards me. My mother thinks he the biggest bastard ever and should be strung up by the b***s!! She rants and raves a lot about him so I try to avoid talking to her about it as it wears me out and it's not what I need to hear to be honest.

I don't know why I'm posting this really. I suppose to get it off my chest and to hear from other people that have gone through similar and come out the other side.

Thanks for reading. Wuzziwig.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Hi Wuzziwig. I think you are doing the right thing here, not just for yourself but also your 3 young children. They should not be seeing what they are seeing and hearing. If your husband will not keep his promises, nor seek support for his problem, then theres nothing else you can do. An alcoholic must genuinely want change, functioning or otherwise, he has a problem.

My ex would be what you call a functioning alcoholic, went to work etc but drank huge amounts each night. He also had anger issues and was an extremely paranoid, this mix was extremely tough. I endured years of mental abuse, and physical followed after it.

You're in a very tough position, I understand. You've 3 children and you hope that you're making the right decision, and worried in case it may effect them. If your husband will not deal with his addiction then it's going to be damaging for both you and your children. A lot of women and men stay in these kinds of relationships because of the promises that never materialize.

I consider myself very lucky that I built up the strength to end it with my ex, as further down the line I'm so happy, confidence is back, and I realize that there was nothing wrong with me in the first place. His constant digs and insults were designed to weaken me, make me feel like I couldn't do any better. I know now that is very common in abusive / alcoholic relationships, but it's very hard to see that from the inside of the problem, or you just feel 'oh it's different with us, I know behind it all he loves me'. I felt like I could breathe fresh air again when I split up with him, everything became so clear.

What did your husband say when you said you wanted a separation by the way?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Can I ask you both something? I'm a man, and I'm fond of a drink. But I'm nowhere "problem" territory. Anyway, if your partners did genuinely change and completely cut out drink, would you take them back?

I personally think thats a huge motivator in helping someone to stop drinking. If your attitude is "stop drinking or I'm outa here", it kinda pushes them to drink more, both out of rebellion (who does she think she is, I'm a free man) and desperation (NOOOOOOO my wife left me). But if you have an attitude of "You have drank yourself out of this family, you are no longer a part of it. But the door is open whenever you decide to change", it provides a way better opportunity for the fella to stop drinking, without his pride being hurt too much. Just my 2 cents.

Aswell, anger and paranoia are the result of temporary changes to the central nervous system, due to the effect of alcohol. I get very irratable myself when hungover. Its not the real man inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

Abi, thank you so much for your reply. It is very informative & extremely helpful. I found myself nodding along in agreement while reading it. I'm glad you had the strength to do what was needed & it gives me great hope to hear you have regained your confidence & sense of self. I know I will find myself reading your post again & again.

Newmug, there is a huge difference between an alcoholic & someone that is fond of a few drinks. I don't see any future for me & my DH. The abuse has worn me down, I resent him and what he has done to our family & I do not love him anymore. You would not believe some of the things he has done. Last night he kicked off again and he reached a new low. I had to call his mother and brother out to the house to distract him while I removed myself and the kids from the house in the middle of the night. We are now staying in my parents because I am afraid of him and will not go home while he is there. I'm ringing a solicitor in the morning for advice. I can't go into what he did last night as I'm too horrified & disgusted. There is no hope for our marriage so I won't give him some falsely. The only bone I can throw him is to sort himself out if he wants any hope of having a proper relationship with his 3 beautiful kids. I would hope that would be enough.

I think until you experience alcoholism first hand you really cannot understand just how self absorbed, devious & downright nasty a person can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

newmug,

Please note that we expect all posts in this forum to respect the forum charter which states:

The Separation and Divorce forum is a place to come and get some non-judgmental, emotional and practical support on the issues and challenges encountered while going through a separation and/or a divorce, perhaps from those going through similar.

Posters here should not have to justify their request for advice on this forum.

Many thanks

As per site rules - please DO NOT respond to this post on-thread

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

Hi OP, it sounds like you've reached the end of your tether and it looks like you're making the right decision, the relationship has been poisoned by the alcoholism, and if as you say you no longer love him there isn't any point in prolonging it. Do give him the chance to sort himself out though and maintain a relationship with his children of course, but that doesn't mean you should stay together for their sake - that never works in my experience.

I also agree with the points made by NewMug though; perhaps they would be of use to someone else in a similar situation who is still in love with their partner (not in your case of course, but we only found that out from your reply to NewMug), but his advise could work in other relationships with similar problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Your safety and that of the kiddies is the most important thing to consider. You were right to get out of the danger zone. Would you think of talking to someone in Women's Aid? Speaking to an experienced person in confidence might help you to get your head around your options and give you some advice rather than on a forum. Just a suggestion and best of luck whatever you decide to do. Horrible situation to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

I would suggest you find an Al Anon meeting near you and go if you can.
    http://al-anon-ireland.org/meetings.htm

There you will find people who have been through what you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I have no advice to give you. But I would like to wish you the best of luck for you and you're children now and in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 2 starfish13

hi wuzziwig,

had to make a profile and respond to your OP when i read it!

firstly, i think you're very brave to have started taking the steps that you are and i hope that you give yourself the pat on the back that you deserve!

my perspective is that of the child in a situation that was very similar to the one you describe. my dad was and unfortunately still is a chronic alcoholic and has been for as long as i can remember. my parents eventually separated in 2004 just before i sat my junior cert as the turmoil in the house from his drinking had become unbearable. almost 9 years on and i can honestly say that i am eternally grateful to my mom for finding the courage to put an end to it and ask him to leave the house.

as you have mentioned, there were always so many broken promises and stints in rehab that just didn't work. i am older now and have done a lot of research on alcoholism, i see it for the terrible disease that it is and know in my heart that my dad does love us he is just overwhelmed by the urge he feels to drink.

living in and growing up in a house where one parent is an alcoholic is an extremely difficult and lonely place to be and you are definitely making a decision that your children will thank you for forever.

being the eldest and old enough to understand, i witnessed the manipulation and emotional abuse that my mom went through for years but i can tell you that she has a wonderful partner now for the last 5ish years and she is at such a happy and stable place in her life.

i wish you and your children all the best and hope that everything works out well for you. hopefully 2013 will be a year of positive changes in your life :)

Thank you all for taking time to reply to my posts. I'm on a flying visit at the moment but I promise I will reply properly when I have time. I've read what u have all said and its very helpful. Starfish thank you for sharing your experience. You sound very strong and I'm glad life is better for you and your Mum.

My husband decided today to go into residential rehab. Me and his Mum are taking him to a place tomorrow for a suitability assessment for their programme. Hopefully they will accept him. We had a frank discussion tonight & I think he realises the other night was his rock bottom. I really do want him to get better for the sake of our kids and I will do everything I can to help him. He knows that our marriage is probably beyond repair but we still need to be civil, happy & healthy for our kids. So hopefully this is the start of his recovery. We know there is a long road ahead with many dark times on the way but it's the first step and he finally realises he needs help.

Thank you all again. Happy new year & I hope 2013 is a good one for us all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

wuzziwig wrote: »
    Thank you all for taking time to reply to my posts. I'm on a flying visit at the moment but I promise I will reply properly when I have time. I've read what u have all said and its very helpful. Starfish thank you for sharing your experience. You sound very strong and I'm glad life is better for you and your Mum.

My husband decided today to go into residential rehab. Me and his Mum are taking him to a place tomorrow for a suitability assessment for their programme. Hopefully they will accept him. We had a frank discussion tonight & I think he realises the other night was his rock bottom. I really do want him to get better for the sake of our kids and I will do everything I can to help him. He knows that our marriage is probably beyond repair but we still need to be civil, happy & healthy for our kids. So hopefully this is the start of his recovery. We know there is a long road ahead with many dark times on the way but it's the first step and he finally realises he needs help.

Thank you all again. Happy new year & I hope 2013 is a good one for us all.

The very best of luck to you all. I hope he gets and accepts the help that he needs, and that you and the kids can enjoy life without the ongoing fear of his outbursts.

Apologies for not udating this thread until now but I haven't been online for ages. As I said above my DH finally admitted he is an alcoholic and he is currently in rehab on a 30 day programme. He has 17 days done now. He appears to be doing pretty well and we are communicating much better than we have over the last 2 years. I don't know what the future holds for us because much has been done and much has been said but I have to give him credit for admitting his problem and getting help to try and to do something about it. There's a long tough road ahead for us all and whether we will be together at the end of it is anyone's guess.

Thank you all for your kind words, advice and for sharing you own personal stories. I'm going to attend Al Anon as I too need to get to grips with my feelings and try to straighten my own head out too.

Well what a difference a month makes. DH came out of rehab at the beginning of the month and he lasted 3 whole weeks off the alcohol. He was drinking last Saturday night, lied repeatedly on the phone to me and arrived home screaming and bawling about how he can't live with me and it's my fault he is an alcoholic. He is being really nasty since so I now feel that I've done all I can for him and given him all the support possible. I have an appointment with a solicitor on Monday evening and I'm going to start the separation rolling. He won't move out of the house and is being a really nasty arsehole. It's going to be unbearable. He is also trying to turn the kids against me. I've just a week of it done now and I feel on the edge of a breakdown. Unless my solicitor strongly advises it I think I'm going to have to take the kids and go. We will rent somewhere I suppose as I have nowhere else to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OP - know this is a really tough time for you but if at all possible don't make any decisions about moving out until you talk to your solicitor.
    Go in armed - detailed instances of his verbal abuse, who was there, etc.
    In terms of your kids - maybe look into arranging counselling for them and for yourself even for example al-anon.

Trust me when I say your solicitor will have seen behaviour like this before if they have much experience of acrimonious separations and will have the best advice for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭sffc

Barring orders were legislated for in order to deal with just this situation. Best of luck OP .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

newmug wrote: »
    Can I ask you both something? I'm a man, and I'm fond of a drink. But I'm nowhere "problem" territory. Anyway, if your partners did genuinely change and completely cut out drink, would you take them back?

I personally think thats a huge motivator in helping someone to stop drinking. If your attitude is "stop drinking or I'm outa here", it kinda pushes them to drink more, both out of rebellion (who does she think she is, I'm a free man) and desperation (NOOOOOOO my wife left me). But if you have an attitude of "You have drank yourself out of this family, you are no longer a part of it. But the door is open whenever you decide to change", it provides a way better opportunity for the fella to stop drinking, without his pride being hurt too much. Just my 2 cents.

Aswell, anger and paranoia are the result of temporary changes to the central nervous system, due to the effect of alcohol. I get very irratable myself when hungover. Its not the real man inside.
    "Fond of a drink" good old Irish expression, Your description of yourself describes an alcholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 starfish13

Firstly, I'm very sorry to hear about how things have been recently OP.

I can't give much in the way of advice about the legal separation aspect of things as thankfully we were not given many details about this. All I can reiterate is that alcoholism is a life long disease and as many times as I've heard promises from my dad, the truth is that they've never been followed through on.

I know that it may feel as if you're the enemy in your children's eyes - every child wants to keep their family together! Trust me any anger that your children feel will be replaced with admiration and pride when they are old enough to understand the situation that you are in.

Although I would never have admitted it to anyone, I would rather have lived in a tent than live with my dad for another day and I know that no matter how well you think you're protecting them your children are inevitably impacted by their dad's illness.

Obviously every situation is different and I can't speak for everyone but
    I truly applaud your braveness in this situation and can somewhat appreciate the obstacles you face.

Although it may not feel like it, you are an admirable parent and you will be rewarded with the recognition you deserve one day.

Wishing you all the best :)

aujopimur - Separation and divorce is a safe place for people to come and get advice and support. If you cannot post in a civil manner, stay on topic or offer this advice in a civil manner then per our charter we ask you not to post.

Thank you Taltos and SFFC. I know this sounds a bit sad but even just having my post recognised means a lot to me. I'm very fragile at the moment (I'm not normally like that). Myself and my Mum took the kids to visit my sister for the weekend. This trip was planned a few weeks ago. It was great to get away from all the animosity and bad vibes. DH had a feed of drink on Fri night and repeatedly rang and texted my phone. I answered the first time but ignored him after that. He was screaming down the phone at me about my new partner??? WFT??? He's finally lost the plot. He also rang and texted my eldest son's phone (he's 10) but luckily he had it left in my handbag so he didn't get to talk to DS in the state he was in. He also cleared out our bank account over 3 days last week. I didn't have a penny on me and only realised that there was no money when we got to my sisters and I tried to take out cash for the weekend. I checked online and sure enough the balance was a big fat zero with 4 transactions over 3 days clearing out all our money. I had to ask my Mum for a loan. I felt so humiliated. Only for her I wouldn't have been able to buy stuff to give the kids lunch going to school today. What kind of man does that to his kids? I've changed the account that my own wages get paid into so he won't be able to get near that. I'm paid fortnightly and my wages are due in on Thursday so we'll be ok again once that money is there.

Taltos, I've started writing down everything he does and says so I'll have a record for the solicitor today. I don't know what to expect from the meeting today and I don't even know how to start telling her about what's going on and what I want to do. If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate.

Starfish, thank you once again for sharing your experiences with me. It does really help a lot to hear that things do work out for the kids of alcoholics. I'm worried sick about my children and what all this is doing to them. But I do think that a stable home with me has to be far better than living with an unstable father. I'd move heaven and earth to make them feel happy and secure. They are my focus now. I've finally accepted that trying to help DH and saving our marriage is like flogging a dead horse.

Thank you all once again for taking the time to read my ramblings and for giving me advice and support. I know I have the mettle needed to get through this, I just need reminding of that sometimes.

I went to see my solicitor yesterday evening and she recommended that I approach DH about attending mediation to try and sort things out as amicably and easily as possible. He has flat out refused to attend so it looks like we're going to have a long drawn out court battle (he also says he won't turn up in court). He won't move out, I can't live with him so I just don't know what we are going to do. I asked him about selling the house and splitting the proceeds and going our separate ways. He has refused to do that as well.

He has decided that he is taking long term sick leave from his job as he is depressed and after a few weeks he will only be getting whatever social welfare payment he'll get for being off on a longterm illness. He can't see that this is impacting on the kids, once I'm suffering that's all he cares about. TBH I don't want a penny from him. If I could just get him out of my life I'd be happy. So today he's at home lying in bed feeling sorry for himself and hard done by.

Looks like there are even tougher times ahead.

• Advertisement

Actually OP - it might be tougher in the meantime.
    But all of this will work in your favour - as before keep records.
    Talk to your solicitor again and as well as getting your options laid out for you pick and choose a path.

Go in armed with the "what if" questions
    > what if he doesn't turn up in court?
    > what legally can I do if he won't agree to sell?
    > what if he won't support the children through his desire to punish me?

You have to just accept that you cannot control how he behaves - the only thing you have control over is how you react.
    Feign disinterest, as much as it hurts, don't let him see he is hurting you - just follow through on your plans and play the long game here. One other thing - don't go the other extreme and over compensate with your kids by spoiling them - as much as you can stay consistent in your approach with them. Let them know you love them and are there for them and sometimes that will mean being the "baddy" if they misbehave - be prepared for him though to play the sweet doting father who will do what he can to either spoil them rotten or undermine your corrections... Again - something to check with your solicitor.

It might be worthwhile if you can bring a 3rd party into the house to try to talk some sense into him.
    Legal route will cost a hell of a lot, mediation a lot less and less stress. Maybe if a close friend points out that he is only hurting himself he might cop on - though I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 hestonpc

Hi wuzziwig. As a previous heavy drinker I have had "friends" in the same situation as your husband. Always believe themselves to be the victim, Always making plans that never happen, Always backing up thier defence with ridiculous statements and having lots of support of similar people.
    I had an alcoholic father, much like you described, was unreliable and unpredictable, I was so ashamed of him, home life was not enjoyable to say the least. A lot of my young memories include late night rows.
    For the sake of your young family you are doing the right thing, the current tough times will be a distant memory, you will be much happier, and your kids will be safe and happy.
    Your posts have given me even more reassurance that I wont drink again, I do not want to turn into the man you described.
    Stay strong and wishing you all the best.

I don't get online much these days so am often late replying to posts. Apologies for that.

Taltos, once again thank you so much for your sound advice. It is very helpful. I am trying to just be the same with the kids as I always am. They seem to be happy enough and they know that if they have any worries or need to talk that they can come to me. DS1 is the one I need to watch, he's very sensitive and deep. DS2 is a total looper and has no filter between his brain and mouth so I know he'll just say out what he is thinking. DD is probably too young to take too much in. My solicitor is in court all the week so I've left a message for her and she's going to ring me on Monday.

Hestonpc, I would never have dreamed that my posts would be of help to anyone so I am glad that you have been able to take something from them. I wish you well and hope your determination not to drink wins out.

Not much to update here. DH hasn't drank all week but he seems to be in some sort of deep depression. There are times when I start to feel sorry for him but then I catch myself and think I cannot afford to. He has done nothing to show me he is willing to change or willing to get help. He makes me feel like crap and I am so sad all the time. I was a really outgoing, happy go lucky, funny person who took no nonsense from anyone. I want to be her again. So I know I need to get out of this relationship before she's gone forever. I'm very confused at the moment and my emotions are all over the place.

Thank you all once again for the advice and support. It means a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

He was drinking last Saturday night, lied repeatedly on the phone to me and arrived home screaming and bawling about how he can't live with me and it's my fault he is an alcoholic.
    Wow. From a perspective of a dude, your hubbie is a weak bastard that should be kicked to the side. Sure, he has a problem, but it's not your problem.

Long term plan; get him booted out of the house. In our system (flawed, but that's for another thread), the house will be seen as the "family home", and through the courts you can get him removed and you can go back and live in the house without him.

=-=

Anyhoos, OP, read this; Property rights and the breakdown of a cohabiting relationship and also Family and shared homes, though I think the latter link is more relevant to your situation, as it informs you of your right to stay in the house without the husband until your youngest child becomes 18 or 23.

Have a read of Barring, safety and protection orders which applies to you as you're getting "emotional force" from the husband.

Finally, get in contact with WomensAid.ie (freephone 1800 341 900) who should be able to help you out with the steps to take.

Best of luck, and remember; fcuk him, he was given more than enough chances and your kids are more important. Chin up and rebuild your life :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭sffc

the_syco wrote: »
    Wow. From a perspective of a dude, your hubbie is a weak bastard that should be kicked to the side. Sure, he has a problem, but it's not your problem.

Long term plan; get him booted out of the house. In our system (flawed, but that's for another thread), the house will be seen as the "family home", and through the courts you can get him removed and you can go back and live in the house without him.

=-=

Anyhoos, OP, read this; Property rights and the breakdown of a cohabiting relationship and also Family and shared homes, though I think the latter link is more relevant to your situation, as it informs you of your right to stay in the house without the husband until your youngest child becomes 18 or 23.

Have a read of Barring, safety and protection orders which applies to you as you're getting "emotional force" from the husband.

Finally, get in contact with WomensAid.ie (freephone 1800 341 900) who should be able to help you out with the steps to take.

Best of luck, and remember; fcuk him, he was given more than enough chances and your kids are more important. Chin up and rebuild your life :)

Exactly - your children deserve at the very least the stability of being left stay on at home and for him to leave. Pack his bags for him tonight and every night till he gets the message.

I posted a reply to this thread last night but it seems to have gone missing somewhere.

Anyway after a horrendous night Saturday night, where DH terrorised both me and the kids, I think I may finally get him to move out. He has no recollection whatsoever of what he did so I told him all the gory details yesterday and told him either he goes or I go to court this week to get at the very least a protection order against him. He has said he is going to be gone when I get home from work today and will sleep in his car (get the violins! :rolleyes:). He says he will put the keys of the doors through the letterbox and will get help for his drinking and mental health. I told him that I hoped he would get better for the sake of having a relationship with his kids but that he was to be under no illusions that our marriage was well and truly over. He has done too much damage for us to ever go back.

What he will actually do remains to be seen. I will speak to my solicitor after lunch today and I have a friend that works in the courts service and she told me that court is sitting Wednesday and Friday this week. I can't go on Wednesday as my DS2 has a hospital appointment on Wednesday morning but if I have to I will go to the courthouse on Friday morning to seek a barring/protection order against him.

The_syco, thanks for all that information. I had googled some stuff but the information I got back was confusing. Those links are clear and easy to read and understand.

Once again thanks to all of you for your help, support and advice. Hopefully in a few months all the aggro and hellish existence will be well and truly in our past.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

I posted a reply to this thread last night but it seems to have gone missing somewhere.

Anyway after a horrendous night Saturday night, where DH terrorised both me and the kids, I think I may finally get him to move out. He has no recollection whatsoever of what he did so I told him all the gory details yesterday and told him either he goes or I go to court this week to get at the very least a protection order against him. He has said he is going to be gone when I get home from work today and will sleep in his car (get the violins! :rolleyes:). He says he will put the keys of the doors through the letterbox and will get help for his drinking and mental health. I told him that I hoped he would get better for the sake of having a relationship with his kids but that he was to be under no illusions that our marriage was well and truly over. He has done too much damage for us to ever go back.

What he will actually do remains to be seen. I will speak to my solicitor after lunch today and I have a friend that works in the courts service and she told me that court is sitting Wednesday and Friday this week. I can't go on Wednesday as my DS2 has a hospital appointment on Wednesday morning but if I have to I will go to the courthouse on Friday morning to seek a barring/protection order against him.

The_syco, thanks for all that information. I had googled some stuff but the information I got back was confusing. Those links are clear and easy to read and understand.

Once again thanks to all of you for your help, support and advice. Hopefully in a few months all the aggro and hellish existence will be well and truly in our past.
    Hi just been reading through your posts and
    Its like what my life was like a few years ago.Was living with an alcoholic partner who was the father to my 3 kids.To say he made our life unbearable is an under statement.He drank all day every day ,was abusive mentally and physically to me and the children.He lied continuously never contributed financially to the running of the home etc.Why i put up with it for so long ill never know but after endless empty promises that he d stop drinking etc i just had enough.I applied for a barring order and was so nervous that day in court as he showed up with some fancy hot shot solicitor and i was representing myself.But i explained everything to the judge and told him how it was affecting myself and the kids mentally and physically and the judge granted the barring order immediately for 3 years.That has since run out and I've got a safety and protection order now .Thankfully he never comes near the house and the kids have nothin to do with him.There teenagers so old enough to make their own decisions whether they want to have contact or not with him.I can honestly say I've never been happier.To feel happy and safe in your own home is brilliant and most importantly myself and the kids have our sanity and don't have to walk on egg shells anymore.I really do wish you the very best .Be strong for yourself and your kids and I promise you ll never look back.
    You can apply to the courts yourself for a barring order.Its all very straight forward.

Thank you for your reply Audman. I'm delighted to see that you and the kids are all happier and getting on with your lives.

DH moved out on Monday and is living with his parents at the moment. He's been to see a doctor, has been prescribed medication and seems to think everything will be hunky dory in a few weeks and he'll be back in the house and we'll be back together. I'm having very little contact with him. The kids are going to see him on Saturday for a few hours but I have insisted that his mother be there as well. I cannot trust him with them on his own at the moment. The house has been so much calmer and happier without him. The kids are doing great and it's unbelievable how much tension there was in the house. You only realise how bad it was when it's gone. I'm also much happier and have even found myself laughing and joking this week!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Hiya Wuzziwig, I just wanted to wish you all the best. I wish my mother had been as strong as you, instead my alcoholic father continued to destroy the family and both myself and my sibling developed our own issues as a result of our upbringing, and our mothers health was ruined from the stress of it, she had a stroke and ended up brain damaged and in a wheelchair in her early 50s - still sticking up for the alcoholic and he was still drinking.

I am almost 40 years of age now and I STILL wake up screaming some nights when I dream of what happened in the past, I have spent years in Alanon and have managed to somewhat come to terms with it all but there are times when it all comes flooding back in technicolour dreams where Im that scared child, teenager or young adult again witnessing horrific things.

I think you are great that you are saving your kids from all of that. Big hugs, hope things improve for you and the kids!

• Advertisement

Roddneyboy - welcome to the S&D forum.
    Please note we have deleted your post as it's tone is inappropriate.

Per our charter this forum is intended as a place for people going through separation or divorce to come and get non-judgemental support.
    Your response though was laden with jibes at "one sided man haters" here - that is not acceptable.

Please take some time now to read the charter, also read some other threads and if you still find you cannot post in a manner that is suitable here then I am going to ask you not to post otherwise if we see similarly styled posts on this forum again we will have to action them.

So for example but not limited to:
    Judging - We assume posters are here because they wish to investigate or proceed with separation/divorce. They should not be judged for reaching that decision, asked to justify their decision nor have the legitimacy of their decision called into question.

Insults/personal abuse/aggression/violence/inflammatory statements – this is a support & advice forum, attempting to get a reaction through petty insults, flaming or crass generalisations are not permitted, nor is advocating violence.
    Thanks
    Taltos

Advertisement