Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain Biking trails in Wicklow/Wexford

Options
  • 18-08-2014 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Are there any mountain biking trails in Wicklow or Wexford other than Ballinastoe?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

You can get some good trails on the ordnance survey maps, just head out! theres some serious trails out near me, in the clara vale area.

http://www.wicklowwalks.com/vale-of-clara-forest-walk

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Gavdalf

Have you tried out Carrick Mountain in Glenealy?, there's plenty of trails and fun to be had :)
    I cant attach any links cos I am still new here but it's only a google away!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Nothing marked in Wexford, but TrailBadger have a few options listed in Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Nothing legally other than Ballinastoe.

Join a club, you'll get to go on regular spins, have the craic and find lots of new trails.

If you're not into that, check around Strava. The following link will show a heat map and you can identify the areas where there are off road trails. I've centered it on Ballinastoe.

http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#12/-6.25964/53.12285/blue/bike

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Are there any mountain biking trails in Wicklow or Wexford other than Ballinastoe?

No... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭jmrc

Slade valley, wicklow Dublin boarder?
    Carrick in Glenealy as posted
    Glending in Blessington.
    there are loads, but none official... best advice would be join a club and get out there and ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Anyone know where carrick is in Glenealy, I've heard great things about it, and went looking for the place twice! and couldn't find it, seems like a bit of a Platform Nine and Three-Quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭jmrc

check out the gravity enduro site; last round will be held there weekend after next... was told that the coarse will be marked out next weekend, and if your seen doing it before the race proper you'll get a 5sec penilty.

Don't know where it is myself... but if i find out ill PM ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Gavdalf

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Anyone know where carrick is in Glenealy, I've heard great things about it, and went looking for the place twice! and couldn't find it, seems like a bit of a Platform Nine and Three-Quarters.

Ok so I cant post links yet but the best way to find it is to bring up Google maps and search for 'Ballymanus Ln, Co. Wicklow',
    Once you get into Glenealy head up the road towards the graveyard 'Chestnut Glen', Take the 1st left onto 'Ballymanus Ln' and keep following the lane (it's more of a narrow road) all the way down until you reach the car park of Carrick..
    Hope this was easy enough to follow ;)

JJJJNR wrote: »

Join a club..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Join a club..

I would second this. Even if you find the general area, you still have to find the actual trails. Then you need to know which ones are within your ability, and link them together so you can find your way back to the car. I know I would probably still be lost somewhere in Djouce wood if I had gone there for the first time by myself! Most of the clubs will have intro spins at some point over the year, although I know MADMtb now run one spin a month for beginners. Whichever one you decide to join, you won't regret it.

bogmanfan wrote: »
    I know MADMtb now run one spin a month for beginners.

One on tomorrow I believe: http://www.madmtb.com/forums/

Also EPICMtb will run a series soon..

Best way to get to know the trails, and get a chance also to contribute something back into the local MTB clubs by doing some trail repairs..

I get the impression some people think these trails just magically appear by themselves and you can ride them to death without lifting a mattock to repair them...

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

Any contact details or websites for Wicklow/Wexford clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭griffin100

www.racing795.com is a MTB club based in Bunclody, so might be a bit too far south for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Try www.reservoircogs.ie in Wicklow

Advertisement