Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how many gears? (Photos attatched)

Options
  • 22-08-2014 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

So I'm selling my mountain bike to upgrade to a hybrid bike because I'm getting more into long distance cycling (plus the mountain bike is too heavy)
    I've never really known or bothered to find out how many gears are on it but want to be able to tell people with the ad I'm putting up with it.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

ok thank you, :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Technically it's 3x6 as some of the gear ratios overlap.

That's some quality pedantry right there.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you may find it difficult to find a hybrid which co-ordinates with your socks in the way the current bike does.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

matching colour of socks to colour of bike. well done.

beaten to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

'Ive seen a bike I like, a hybrid with 21 gears, I love this bike but for going up hill its murder, Im only light myself so think the lighter bike is a better option

and haha thanks the new hybrid is actually pink in parts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Brian? wrote: »
    Technically it's 3x6 as some of the gear ratios overlap.

That's some quality pedantry right there.
    Surely overlap is irrelevant to the "number of gears" question, to which the answer is 9: 3 at the front and 6 at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Offer asking for socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Stressica wrote: »
    ....I love this bike but for going up hill its murder...
    Are you using the gears correctly? With a 3/6 set up your lowest gear should be very low - i.e. chain on smallest sprocket at the front and largest on rear.

While a hybrid may be lighter, it may not be 'geared' so low.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Are you using the gears correctly? With a 3/6 set up your lowest gear should be very low - i.e. chain on smallest sprocket at the front and largest on rear.

While a hybrid may be lighter, it may not be 'geared' so low.

That MTB pictured is finest canal recovered 431 Cast Iron, anything aluminium is going to go up hills better! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

you may find it difficult to find a hybrid which co-ordinates with your socks in the way the current bike does.

636bfac985408e0854247de3ac3afa2c_zpsa69f21ef.jpg

This would suit perfectly ;)

Advertisement