Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeltachts Experiences/which one

Options
  • 08-10-2013 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I'm hoping to get in the application forms as soon as possible but still have to choose between (I think) Colaiste na Bhfiann, Spleodar or Colaiste Cholumba. Has anyone got any experience with these Gaeltachts and if you/your kids enjoyed them or just gaeltachts in general?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Hi, I went to the Gaeltacht a number of times as did my sisters (3) and brother (1). We all really enjoyed and I have only positive experiences to report from it.
    We went to Coláiste Ni bhFiann with Rule II (if you speak one full sentence of English you're sent home) for the first year or two and then Rule I (if you speak one word of English you're sent home) when we were older.
    Rule II takes you from 10 (I think, maybe that has changed in more recent years, my older sister was 10 when she went and she is now 43) but I was 11 going on 12 when I went.
    Rule I takes you from 14 -18.
    Coláiste Ni bhFiann is very strict there is no two ways about it. However, the strictness keeps your kids safe and their belongings too.
    The food was very good (houses for the first couple of times when younger then a boarding school with dorms when older), you're up early and kept busy for the whole day.
    From what I remember there was a decidedly nationalistic leaning in the organisation when I was there. The flag was raised in the morning and everyone stood around it singing the national anthem and lowered in the evening with the same routine. However it is not a recruiting ground for anything unsavoury, its an organisation that is Irish and proud to be so and expresses this in this way.
    If you'd like to know more just let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭madel

From my experience of working in summer colleges, (and I have never worked any of the ones you mention), I think the general consensus is that spleodar and colaiste na bhfiann are stricter on the use of Irish than Columba. While I've heard mostly positive experiences from spleodar and na bhfiann, the same cannot be said about columba in terms of class size, standard of irish and organization. I dont want to down any college because I believe that they are central to the gaeltacht community but if you want value for your money and learn Irish stick with Colaiste na bhfiann or spleodar.

I'm a bit slow today. I should have mentioned the use of Irish too:o

Going to the gaeltacht and going with a college strict in the use of Irish only did have a massive impact on my performance in Irish in school. It did for all of us really.
    It made the oral exams a walk in the park as we were all really comfortable with expressing ourselves in Irish, enriched our vocabulary and generally let us know that there was more to the language than simply learning how to sit exams in Irish. This was really a great help for the essay and short story aspect of the exams too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

I went to Splodar for 3 summers during my school going days and it massively improved my irish. I went from barely being able to string a few sentences together to being able to happily babble away and chat for ages as I wished.

The college itself is very strict, especially on the Irish at all times aspect and the entire setup and environment its wholly conducive to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BrooklynSmith

Hi, I went to the Gaeltacht a number of times as did my sisters (3) and brother (1). We all really enjoyed and I have only positive experiences to report from it.
    We went to Coláiste Ni bhFiann with Rule II (if you speak one full sentence of English you're sent home) for the first year or two and then Rule I (if you speak one word of English you're sent home) when we were older.
    Rule II takes you from 10 (I think, maybe that has changed in more recent years, my older sister was 10 when she went and she is now 43) but I was 11 going on 12 when I went.
    Rule I takes you from 14 -18.
    Coláiste Ni bhFiann is very strict there is no two ways about it. However, the strictness keeps your kids safe and their belongings too.
    The food was very good (houses for the first couple of times when younger then a boarding school with dorms when older), you're up early and kept busy for the whole day.
    From what I remember there was a decidedly nationalistic leaning in the organisation when I was there. The flag was raised in the morning and everyone stood around it singing the national anthem and lowered in the evening with the same routine. However it is not a recruiting ground for anything unsavoury, its an organisation that is Irish and proud to be so and expresses this in this way.
    If you'd like to know more just let me know.

It's good to hear that it's strict as it will be better for learning Irish. Do you know if they do many activities such as kayaking or orienteering? Colaiste Cholumba says they do these activities which would be a bonus. Do they have regular trips to the beach? :)

• Advertisement

It's good to hear that it's strict as it will be better for learning Irish. Do you know if they do many activities such as kayaking or orienteering? Colaiste Cholumba says they do these activities which would be a bonus. Do they have regular trips to the beach? :)

When I went (am 36 now and was last there in 1994) every single second of every day was jam packed. You were worked up at 07:00 and you washed your face, teeth, made your bed and got dressed. Outside for flag rising and national anthem. Back inside for breakfast then off to lessons for the morning. We learned songs and poems in Irish, spoke about ourselves, families, interests, hobbies and learned prayers in Irish. Then you broke for lunch (had dinner at lunchtime) then in the afternoon you had activities. We went swimming, played football, basketball, rounders, etc. then you had an afternoon snack and had cultural arty type activities for the afternoon - painting, musical instruments etc. we were also in groups to put on a short play of sorts for the big concert on the last day. This would play out in front of the parents and siblings who came to collect you.
    After that you had the chance to shower change your clothes and had the ceili. Then down with the flag and bedtime by 11:30pm.
    You have lessons on Saturdays, they were slightly more relaxed days but always had mass on a Saturday evening.
    They took the money or valuables from you at the start and kept it safe for you. You it a receipt for what you gave in so there was no cheating. A snack shop/ tuck shop type thing operated on Saturdays too and you signed for what you wanted so that was deducted from the money you gave in at the start. What was left was given to you at the end.
    Sundays were for visiting. Family could visit for 2 hours and take you out if they wished. The colaiste don't recommend it as it can be difficult to switch back to irish after speaking English for a few hours again. When we were younger my parents visited but when older didn't and that was fine for me. Everyone is different though.
    Colaiste nabhFiann also have a cinnire / leader thing going. One person from your group would be cinnire for the kitchen so was in charge of making sure the tables were cleared fully (each table had its own cinnire who cleared) and dishes washed and away. Basically everyone had a job and a role of responsibility to fill one way or another. It was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I'm hoping to get in the application forms as soon as possible but still have to choose between (I think) Colaiste na Bhfiann, Spleodar or Colaiste Cholumba. Has anyone got any experience with these Gaeltachts and if you/your kids enjoyed them or just gaeltachts in general?:)

I wentbto Colaiste na bhFiann three times. I have to say my first time was the best, then the second purely because after the first year everyone came in groups who didn't seem to want to mix. Colaiste na bhFiann is strict on English but that's how you learn. No one ever got sent home for speaking English when I was there but that's because everyone actually wanted to speak Irish. One girl who was on my course came with virtually no Irish. She just nodded for about a week because she literally could not string a sentence together. She tried and by the end of the course she could speak Irish fluidly and was given out to for talking too much! She really improved in those 3 weeks which is something I haven't seen in my own irish class - people who go to gaeltachts multiple times but still can't put a sentence together because Irish is not enforced enough.
    I would advise you to go for a gaeltacht that enforces the rule. While CnaB is strict on English, you don't notice it because everyonr adheres to the rule. You do have fun too. I had the same bainisteoir (person in charge) each year. She was absolutely lovely and really instilled a love of irish in each person.
    However I have heard that Spleodar is supposed to be better craic-wise. I think CnaB and Spleodar were the same until they split but I'm not totally sure. You do have fun in CnaB though! You will definitely learn a lot and have fun.
    I'm fluent now and got an A1 in honours Irish in my Leaving Cert. this year so I would recommend CnaB if you want to learn. I wouldn't recommend colaiste cholumba as I know people who went and said they didn't talk irish much at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Glinda

Do all the colleges have a religious element? We had tried to enrol our 13 year old for Lurgan but got caught up in the whole website-crashing fiasco and didn't get a place - she is really disappointed :(

I thought we'd found a good alternative near Dingle, but then saw they mentioned mass on Sundays, so I rang to enquire. Seemingly your child can avoid mass if you 'explain' your reasons to the Ard Mhaister, but they did say that kids might feel left out as there is a lot of preparation for the mass as part of lessons during the week (songs, prayers etc.).

We are not Catholic, so I was really disappointed by this (we are C of I). Surely there must be colleges that are used to dealing with kids of different religions (and none), but I can't seem to find one :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Glinda wrote: »
    Do all the colleges have a religious element? We had tried to enrol our 13 year old for Lurgan but got caught up in the whole website-crashing fiasco and didn't get a place - she is really disappointed :(

I thought we'd found a good alternative near Dingle, but then saw they mentioned mass on Sundays, so I rang to enquire. Seemingly your child can avoid mass if you 'explain' your reasons to the Ard Mhaister, but they did say that kids might feel left out as there is a lot of preparation for the mass as part of lessons during the week (songs, prayers etc.).

We are not Catholic, so I was really disappointed by this (we are C of I). Surely there must be colleges that are used to dealing with kids of different religions (and none), but I can't seem to find one :o
    The one I went to had a class everyday to learn the songs and prayers. I knew a girl who wasn't Catholic and learned them anyway but just didn't go up for Communion at Mass (she didn't say she was a different religion). Otherwise I think people would just sit in the college while Mass was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

I'm not sure about the religious aspect as I'd say they all vary- but as an Irish teacher, the colleges that I'd recommend to my students are Coláiste na bhFiann, Coláiste Sheosaimh, Spleodar, Coláiste Lurgan, Coláiste Cholumba and for younger students I'd be happy enough with the results from Coláiste Chorca Dhuibhne.

If they're reluctant to go for 3 weeks I know there are a few that do some 2 week courses- either Coláiste Acla and/or Coláiste Uisce (emphasis on sports and water activities done through Irish).

Any college is going to be a worthwhile investment, but I would definitely say results wise that your money will go further in some colleges than in others.

• Advertisement

Glinda wrote: »

I think that the Irish language got caught up very much with religion in our history and so many of the colleges that have a nationalistic slant have a strong Roman Catholic ethos too. I think Irish Catholicism was a brand of identity to separate people from their British (and mostly Protestant) overlords at the time.
    Its a shame that in 2013 this still lingers to any extent. I really feel religion belongs in the home not in anything funded by the State. I say that because back in the day when I went to Colláiste nabhFiann the course fee was paid in part by the government.
    The one I went to had a class everyday to learn the songs and prayers. I knew a girl who wasn't Catholic and learned them anyway but just didn't go up for Communion at Mass (she didn't say she was a different religion). Otherwise I think people would just sit in the college while Mass was on.

This was the same for me. A few people didn't attend Mass but did go to classes to learn the songs and prayers. I think if there had been more people who weren't going to go to Mass then the college would have provided an alternative but the numbers were too low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Just wondering what class or age ye send your kids off ?
    Eldest is 12 and in 1st year and struggling with Irish, she is bright she just dislikes the subject so I wonder would irish college in the summer help?

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Just wondering what class or age ye send your kids off ?
    Eldest is 12 and in 1st year and struggling with Irish, she is bright she just dislikes the subject so I wonder would irish college in the summer help?
    I was 11 when I went and turned 12 while there. It was lovely really. The people in my house had cards and cake for me the morning of my birthday and then that night at the ceilí everyone stood up and sang happy birthday (in Irish of course) and I had another cake and candles.

My older sister went when she was 10. My parents say in hindsight that was probably too young. I was very happy there when I was 11/12.
    It helped me no end with my Irish, my confidence in the language, comprehension when back at school and reading prose in class, etc.
    It is a much more natural and organic way to learn any language really than the way all languages are taught in school. Learning a living language by rote from a book doesn't work very well for the vast majority of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I was 11 when I went and turned 12 while there. It was lovely really. The people in my house had cards and cake for me the morning of my birthday and then that night at the ceilí everyone stood up and sang happy birthday (in Irish of course) and I had another cake and candles.

My older sister went when she was 10. My parents say in hindsight that was probably too young. I was very happy there when I was 11/12.
    It helped me no end with my Irish, my confidence in the language, comprehension when back at school and reading prose in class, etc.
    It is a much more natural and organic way to learn any language really than the way all languages are taught in school. Learning a living language by rote from a book doesn't work very well for the vast majority of people.

Is there many 10 year olds doing these courses, I ask this because if i sent my child there would there be many other kids her age there

Is there many 10 year olds doing these courses, I ask this because if i sent my child there would there be many other kids her age there

They have the courses divided up according to age groups. 10-14 is for the easier Rule II and 14-18 is for Rule I.
    I was talking to my mum about the summers we went yesterday. She did say in hindsight 10 was maybe a bit too young but that from 11/12 onwards was great.
    I think it depends on the particular child though as to whether 10 is too young or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mXcailin

Anyone any info on Coláiste Árainn Mhóir in Donegal? Standard of Irish? I want somewhere that I can come home saying I'm basically fluent!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mXcailin

Hey there! Went to coláiste cholumba this summer, as a 17 year old doing the 2 week course, I did find the expierience brilliant but that wasn't a result of the actual college.
    I found it very disorganised, no one really knew what we were doing each day, a lot of hanging around.. There was a merger of coláiste aodáin and no one was even informed, I stayed with girls who signed up for Aodain as they'd been b efore and they werent happy to begin with!
    2 weekers weren't treated with the same respect as the 3 weekers I felt. No one knew whether tours were going to suit us, a lot of asking questions (as gaeilge obviously!) and when we left, we got no disco, no send off, just a simple "tá an mbus taobh amuigh, slán!"

In terms of irish, the staff were strict to begin with, with their "Liosta bearla" being for a single word even! But the staff were given a quota of a minimum number of names to have for week 1, they reduced it and started getting laxed on the rule.. but it depends on the daltaí really! A lot of people (ironicially enough) didn't come to speak irish, and if you try speaking to them, you get a weird look.. some on the otherhand are more than willing!

I did love my expierience, met some great people, had great craic & laughs, learned a bit too (not great for the LC if you're doing the 2 week course tbh) , but the memories are unreal!

Advertisement