Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday allowance

Options
  • 03-06-2014 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭

I'm a part time worker, but last year I worked a lot of extra hours so I should be owed extra holidays this year.

But work have gotten a new clock in computerized system which shows our holiday balance, holidays booked etc. But my holiday balance for this year have still not come up on the system, I am sick and tired of asking my manager and getting ignored from HR. I just want to know how many days I have so I don't over book.. it's June for God sake!!

Is there some kind of law against this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

OP holidays are based on time accrued, not projected work hours. You can easily calculate the amount of holidays you are entitled to up to today by using the standard equations. In a lot of companies holidays cannot be carried over so you need to check your contract.

8% of the hours worked in the leave year, subject to a maximum of 4 working weeks

An employee who has worked for at least 8 months is entitled to an unbroken period of 2 weeks' annual leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

Can you calculate/estimate this yourself? If so, email HR with your estimate and ask for confirmation within 1 week. If this doesn't work then escalate to the most senior HR person.

New systems sometimes have teething problems - but there should still be a manual record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Yea my manager told me that it would be 8%, I think I will have to go down the route of trying to calculate it myself and emailing HR then since they are ignoring my recent requests.

I carried over 2 days from last year already.but I have booked time off throughout the summer, and don't want to get left owing them hours at the end of the year. Its only reasonable that they tell me!!

OP as a part time worker, you and they will be able to work out what leave you have accrued as of today. Do you know exactly how much overtime you have done?, you will also need to know this in order to calculate the leave accrued. You may not be able to take leave above and beyond what you have accrued at the time the leave is taken so it is important that you know exactly what is due to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

OP are you sure that overtime worked = more holidays?

IMO this would be unusual. Overtime = more money obviously, but AFAIK, unless specifically stated in your contract etc, it would not increase your Annual Leave entitlement.

If e.g. you work 3 days per week, you would get 3/5ths (60%) of the normal entitlement. Overtime would not normally entitle you to extra leave.

Happy to be corrected on this, assuming someone can substantiate the argument......

• Advertisement

blindsider wrote: »
    OP are you sure that overtime worked = more holidays?

IMO this would be unusual. Overtime = more money obviously, but AFAIK, unless specifically stated in your contract etc, it would not increase your Annual Leave entitlement.

If e.g. you work 3 days per week, you would get 3/5ths (60%) of the normal entitlement. Overtime would not normally entitle you to extra leave.

Happy to be corrected on this, assuming someone can substantiate the argument......

Hiya,

I'm on a permanent flexi contract so by overtime I just mean extra days, sorry I should have clarified that.

My basic hours are 2 days per week but lately my area has been very busy so I'm in 3/4 days. I'm here 4 years, my basic holidays are 10 days per year but vary depending on if I've worked more the previous year. Last year my holiday allowance was 14 but this year should be more.

I have gone back from December 2013-April 2013(it won't leave be see earlier than April) and I worked 192 days within those months.

It's annoying me how it's in the 6th month and they have not sorted this new system out yet !!

michellie wrote: »
    Hiya,

I'm on a permanent flexi contract so by overtime I just mean extra days, sorry I should have clarified that.

My basic hours are 2 days per week but lately my area has been very busy so I'm in 3/4 days. I'm here 4 years, my basic holidays are 10 days per year but vary depending on if I've worked more the previous year. Last year my holiday allowance was 14 but this year should be more.

I have gone back from December 2013-April 2013(it won't leave be see earlier than April) and I worked 192 days within those months.

It's annoying me how it's in the 6th month and they have not sorted this new system out yet !!

OP do you mean Dec 13 - April 14 or April 13 - Dec 13?. Is that 192 hours or days?. When does your leave year run to Dec 31st or April 30?

davo10 wrote: »
    OP do you mean Dec 13 - April 14 or April 13 - Dec 13?. Is that 192 hours or days?. When does your leave year run to Dec 31st or April 30?

I could only check my hours as far as April 13. So from April 13-December 13 I had worked 192 days. Our holidays run From January to December.

michellie wrote: »
    I could only check my hours as far as April 13. So from April 13-December 13 I had worked 192 days. Our holidays run From January to December.

In that case, you were entitled to 15.36 leave days up to December 31st, now how many holiday days did you take during this period? You may or may not be entitled to carry them over to this year, you need to check your contract.

As for this year, count up the number of days you have worked since January 1st, divide it by 100 and multiply by 8. Subtract any leave days you have taken so far since January 1st and that is your holiday entitlement as of today.

davo10 wrote: »
    In that case, you were entitled to 15.36 leave days up to December 31st, now how many holiday days did you take during this period? You may or may not be entitled to carry them over to this year, you need to check your contract.

As for this year, count up the number of days you have worked since January 1st, divide it by 100 and multiply by 8. Subtract any leave days you have taken so far since January 1st and that is your holiday entitlement as of today.

That's great thank you very much, very helpful!

• Advertisement
Advertisement