Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audit Issue

• 28-03-2015 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I've just started a new job as auditor/accountant with a practice. I'm qualified ACA and am also qualified Auditor. A member of their staff who is not qualified wants me to attend an audit with him where I would be audit senior to a non qualified audit manager. He has also stated that he wants me to address any queries to him only and not the audit partner and he has already selected the testing and the invoices etc. Feeling v compromised. Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

Do you not know who you should report to? Seems strange if you don't know this as everyone has a role and a job. Just because the person is not qualified doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing .

• Registered Users Posts: 24 biddyboo

I have to report to this unqualified person whilst on the job. I normally lead audits and its strange in this place that I'm being asked to be an audit senior and he is micromanaging the audit i.e. selecting the invoices he wants me to test etc.. Don't want to have anything to do with it. Getting a very bad vibe from the place. Anyone else got any advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

biddyboo wrote: »
    I have to report to this unqualified person whilst on the job. I normally lead audits and its strange in this place that I'm being asked to be an audit senior and he is micromanaging the audit i.e. selecting the invoices he wants me to test etc.. Don't want to have anything to do with it. Getting a very bad vibe from the place. Anyone else got any advice?

Ummm yeah, get over yourself.

Were you hired as an audit senior? If so, you report to the audit manager, and if you don't like it you'd better get looking for another job...

(Unless you're explaining it badly and this audit is somehow exceptional to how they would normally operate.)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I've just started a new job as auditor/accountant with a practice. I'm qualified ACA and am also qualified Auditor. A member of their staff who is not qualified wants me to attend an audit with him where I would be audit senior to a non qualified audit manager. He has also stated that he wants me to address any queries to him only and not the audit partner and he has already selected the testing and the invoices etc. Feeling v compromised. Any advice?

I'm a bit confused, were you taken on as an audit manager and now you are being asked to work as an audit senior or what?

As for the audit itself, I don't see what the audit issue is that you refer to. The partner is the one responsible for the audit and it is his decision how he staffs it. Obviously he has confidence in this manager and you must accept it, unless there is a genuine issue in which case you need to take it to the partner. But the fact that you have to report to an unqualified manager is most certainly not an audit issue.

Thanks Jim for your frank reply.
    The unqualified audit manager has a history of trying to demean other staff possibly because of his own hang ups and that he feels threatened by qualified staff.
    Lots of starters and leavers in this practice.
    Guess I'll be another statistic in the history of this practice.
    Thanks for your advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Your posts are very demeaning towards that person because they aren't qualified. They are senior to you in the firm, so do what they ask or find a new job.

Wow. So much for professional competence "do what they ask or find a new job".

Perhaps that's what's wrong with this country as a whole.

Too many bullies who don't know what they are doing telling those that do to shut up or find a new job

Mind boggling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

Wow. So much for professional competence "do what they ask or find a new job".

Perhaps that's what's wrong with this country as a whole.

Too many bullies who don't know what they are doing telling those that do to shut up or find a new job

Mind boggling.

You are very judgemental towards people trying to help you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Thanks Jim for your frank reply.
    The unqualified audit manager has a history of trying to demean other staff possibly because of his own hang ups and that he feels threatened by qualified staff.
    Lots of starters and leavers in this practice.
    Guess I'll be another statistic in the history of this practice.
    Thanks for your advice.

Well for almost all of my career I've worked freelance, so I've had a lot of experience in being the new guy, so all I can do is tell you how I'd approach the situation...

First of all I'd ignore all the rumours etc and give him the benefit of the doubt until you have actual experience to base your opinion on. Reacting to office gossip that you have no experience of is an excellent way to get off on the wrong foot with someone.

Second I'd concentrate in establishing my own credibility within the firm, before I'd go taking on anyone else in the firm. Do what ever work you are asked to the best of your ability, be helpful, contribute where you can and so on.

When you join any new workgroup there are two thing you can expect: people will be welcoming and more than likely helpful, the second thing you can expect is that they'll expect you to confirm to the group think - if they don't like the boss, you're expected not to like the boss etc... So the best approach is to not come to any firm conclusions until you've put in about six months at least.

Thanks again Jim. Bet you could write the book. Would make for interesting reading. Again, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Thanks again Jim. Bet you could write the book. Would make for interesting reading. Again, thanks.

Are you still on probation with this new firm? If so its probably some form their assessment of you as an individual or as an employee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi Biddyboo

I understand your frustration. Sometimes a manager who has been there for a while may know the client better then you and may know what it takes to get the job over the line and on time. That in reality is what its all about and not just about the correct level of testing etc.

As the other posters have said, so long as the person who ultimately signs the audit report is qualified to do so it is not an audit issue ie the partner on the job has their own practicing and audit cert and is not relying on something that you have.

Just curious, what position did you have in your last employment and what made you want to move? You say you are a qualified auditor, do you mean that you have a valid auditing cert or just passed the relevant examinations.

Best Regards

Dbran

Advertisement