Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

9 year-old Mayoman set for Real Madrid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Whether people like it or not, the trend in football is for clubs to get players at younger and younger ages. Look at Barcelona, loads of their players have been at the club from ages as young as 7 or 8. These kids are getting a world class footballing education for 10 years before they ever kick a ball at a professional level. Any kid being offered a chance at this kind of education would be a fool to turn it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Whether people like it or not, the trend in football is for clubs to get players at younger and younger ages. Look at Barcelona, loads of their players have been at the club from ages as young as 7 or 8. These kids are getting a world class footballing education for 10 years before they ever kick a ball at a professional level. Any kid being offered a chance at this kind of education would be a fool to turn it down.
    It's not just a world class footballing education, at Barca there is a system in place so that the youth players also do very well academically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I'm sorry if I've missed it, but I've had a quick scroll through the thread and have yet to come across a posted link to this story. Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,392 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

plasmaguy wrote: »
    Let me see...potentially a successful footballer in Spain either with Madrid or elsewhere earning millions of bucks.

Or a life at home in Ballyhaunins where unemployment is high and barring that eventually maybe emigration to england to work on the buidlings or something like that?

Easy choice imo.

His parents deserve a slap on the back for being far sighted.

Yes maybe it won't work out, but spending a year or two in Madrid, nothing wrong with it to be honest.

It's just the way they do things in Spain, get them young and train them up the right way. Certainly worked for Barcalona. Most of their players started with youth teams aged 9 or 10.

This kid obviously has talent and its always a shame to let talent go unfullfilled.

Or maybe he will do what a lots of us Mayo folks have done over the years

Go to college, get an education and work in ireland or elsewhere at something other that 'on the buidlings or something like that?'

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

Or maybe he will do what a lots of us Mayo folks have done over the years

Go to college, get an education and work in ireland or elsewhere at something other that 'on the buidlings or something like that?'

Become a priest ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Become a priest ?

Or leader of our glorious country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Fizman wrote: »
    I'm sorry if I've missed it, but I've had a quick scroll through the thread and have yet to come across a posted link to this story. Anyone?
    It was a local newspaper. If they have a website, I doubt it's the kindthat gets updated with every single bit of news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Ha just after seeing this thread now. From Ballyhaunis myself and heard this last week. True story however the lad isnt actually from Ballyhaunis, just a native. His grandfather still lives here but the family moved to England years ago. So technically the 9 year old isnt a 'Mayoman'. However, that will change if we see him lining out alongside Enzo Zidane in El Classico in the future:D Good luck to the lad, hope he enjoys it and learns alot:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Out of curiousity how did they find him? I really cant imagine Real sending scouts to Mayo under 10s schoolboy ties in fairness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Out of curiousity how did they find him? I really cant imagine Real sending scouts to Mayo under 10s schoolboy ties in fairness!

Did you not read the post above your one? He's an English kid with Mayo ancestry. Just a catchy and untrue headline by a journalist to get hits...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,542 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I don't know about Real or Mayo specifically but the above does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

http://bit.ly/IzzgBh

Interview with the Boy's father on Red FM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Ah, he was living in Madrid already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Seaneh wrote: »
    Ah, he was living in Madrid already.

Well that was a long and misinformed debate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

aye. listening to his auld lad it actually sounds like the lad was born in spain. and with his mum being dual french and cameroonian it sounds he has as mush claim to play for them as Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,363 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Only someone from Mayo could be called John John.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Eathrin wrote: »
    Well that was a long and misinformed debate.

boards.ie in a nutshell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

His passport should be taken off him!!!
    He should be made stay in Mayo and play GAA.
    Sure, he'll get a job repping for some insurance company.

Why is this being allowed to happen?
    The kids will all start dreaming of playing in El Classico instead of The Connacht Final
    :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

i thought the thread was a joke in some way but hopefully not. Best of luck to him, im not sure if he considers himself Irish or not, i.e wants to line out for the green.

Dempsey wrote: »
    The benefits of being in the EU! Free movement of people whether you like it or not.

I dont consider Real Madrid's youth policy to be that successful in that very few youth players make the step up to the first team and stay there. Most just complete their apprenticeship, make an attempt at the first team (if they are lucky!) then either be sold or loaned out until they are a free agent.

I wish the kid and his family the best of luck out in Spain, its not going to be easy for him or the family regardless of his ability. The happiness of the kid and the family will be a massive factor in his development.

The next Ronnie O'Brien!! :pac:

Ronnie O'Brien carved out a decent enough career for himself in the end in the US Major League. Im sure the boy would be glad to carve some sort of career out of soccer at the end of the day. O'Brien is now coaching FC Dallas academy teams

Shane long came from a small parish and went on to carve out a decent career in the premiership for himself. If this boy grows up to be hard working with plenty of self belief then he has every chance of making it, if not at Real Madrid then perhaps at another club somewhere in Europe. Either way its a golden opportunity and i wish him well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

It was a tongue in cheek comment, you ignored the serious part of my post.

Anyways, it was based on false information given in the OP. The kid is Spanish to Irish/Cameroonian parents, he'll have no problems "adapting" to Spanish life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Irish and Cameroonian? I like the sound of this kid, he could be a real asset to us in the future. Might have the blistering pace required to get onto the end of one of his own upfield hoofs. Let's hope he doesn't learn any of that "technical" nonsense in Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Ronnie O'Brien carved out a decent enough career for himself in the end in the US Major League. Im sure the boy would be glad to carve some sort of career out of soccer at the end of the day. O'Brien is now coaching FC Dallas academy teams

Shane long came from a small parish and went on to carve out a decent career in the premiership for himself. If this boy grows up to be hard working with plenty of self belief then he has every chance of making it, if not at Real Madrid then perhaps at another club somewhere in Europe. Either way its a golden opportunity and i wish him well.
    Did they all come from carpentry backgrounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Ballyhaunis or Madrid? Hmm...tough decision.

can anyone confirm that he is set to play for Ireland or is it a non runner ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,363 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

aindriu80 wrote: »
    can anyone confirm that he is set to play for Ireland or is it a non runner ?

Yes he is. I doubt he will be in the starting lineup against Croatia. He might be kept for the Spanish game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Yes he is. I doubt he will be in the starting lineup against Croatia. He might be kept for the Spanish game.

TBH I wouldn't want to risk using flair players like him vs Spain. We need to stick to basics and keep it solid. He might do a job vs Italy.

kitakyushu wrote: »
    TBH I wouldn't want to risk using flair players like him vs Spain. We need to stick to basics and keep it solid. He might do a job vs Italy.

they wont know what hit em ! But seriously I wanted to know if he had any intention of playing for the green at underage level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

plasmaguy wrote: »
    Ballyhaunis or Madrid? Hmm...tough decision.
    It really was for the poor lad

ballyhaunis1-237x300.jpg

vs

Madrid.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I'd say this kid will feel far far more Spanish than Irish having grown up there, chances of him lining out for Ireland depends on whether he's good enough for professional football yet not good enough for the Spanish squad.
    Would be interesting to see a player selected for the Spanish squad actually choose Ireland though!

Advertisement