Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question on reporting drink brand on public health issue

• 30-08-2009 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. I do not know if this is the right forum but it looks to be the closest there is. In short I had been stocking up on a particular brand of lager that has been on offer from a leading supermarket chain for the last few weeks for watching the return of the football season. I like to sit at home with a few cans/bottles of beers to watch the football. Without identifying the brand or the supermarket the offer was for a box of 15 440ml cans for €15. So I stocked up with a good number of boxes. The best before dates are next April and May 2010.

Anyway I cracked open a few cans last Tuesday night from this offer for the first watching the Arsenal v Celtic game, the following night, Friday for the Super Cup final and finally last night during the Premiership, 10 cans in total. However I noticed I was getting a bit of a headache when I was drinking the second or third can. So instead of drinking straight from the can I poured one into a pint glass and it was vile!!

On further investigation I found that most of the cans have a discolouration at the base of the cans and the April best before date ones also have want I can only describe as a 'clouding' at the base of the can. The discoluration comes in a few colours but blue is the main one. One can I examined from the box I was drinking from also went from a blue discolouration at its base on Saturday night to a dark blue almost black on Sunday morning.

Clearly there is a public health issue with these cans of beer. They are still on sale at the supermarket which I was in last Friday. So I looked up the Dept of Health website and to say the least it is not user friendly for ordinary joe soaps to get information. Anyway I reckoned that the Food Safety Authority were the best to contact and I have left a message on their consumer telephone line.

Could anyone advise me if I am correct in going to the FSA on this or should I go elsewhere. All advise appreciated. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Have you gone back to the supermarket you bought this stuff from ?

That would be my first port of call.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

If its the Carlsberg Export thats been on offer I've had it and didn't have a issiue with them, put back the 15 over 2 nights I think, no problems, actually quite a nice drink, I didn't get a headache drinking them, they are 5% though so slightly stronger if that could be it

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

trout wrote: »
    Have you gone back to the supermarket you bought this stuff from ?

That would be my first port of call.

No. Only really noticed it last night in terms of the can discolouration. I will contact the supermarket chain as well tomorrow though. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

yoyo wrote: »
    If its the Carlsberg Export thats been on offer I've had it and didn't have a issiue with them, put back the 15 over 2 nights I think, no problems, actually quite a nice drink, I didn't get a headache drinking them, they are 5% though so slightly stronger if that could be it

Nick

You are correct on the brand and offer. I have had them for 4-6 weeks since I bought them. The best before dates are April and May next year though!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

kn wrote: »
    You are correct on the brand and offer. I have had them for 4-6 weeks since I bought them. The best before dates are April and May next year though!

Well I only started buying them recently and beer certainly wouldnt last even a week unopened here :D, never actually poured them but can honestly say had 8/9 of them one of the nights and felt grand drinking them & afterwards

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

OP, go back to the place you bought them from.

I'm locking this thread - I don't think it's suitable here, I don't know where on boards would be suitable though.

Post back when you hear from the supermarket - see what they say or do for you.

/thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement