Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Diploma in Business and Accounting-WIT

Options
  • 30-03-2015 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi I was wondering if anyone has information about this course? My degree is in Arts and trying to figure out the best route into accountancy? Would this be a better alternative to sitting CAP 1 independently? Would employers rate it higher than just sitting CAP? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

ph1980 wrote: »
    Hi I was wondering if anyone has information about this course? My degree is in Arts and trying to figure out the best route into accountancy? Would this be a better alternative to sitting CAP 1 independently? Would employers rate it higher than just sitting CAP? Thanks

Does this course give you exemptions from CAP1?

If you want a career in accounting as an accountant you need to take on professional exams. If taking a course will give you exemptions they can be considered, however will they take longer?

What will potential employers think of a Higher Diploma in business & accounting? I doubt it will set their world alight to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ph1980

Thanks for your reply.The course is level 8 and is advertised as essentially a conversion course for non accounting graduates putting them in the same position as those with a level 8 degree in accounting.It gives exemptions from all the CAP1 exams. What I'm trying to figure out is if it would be more highly regarded than taking CAP1 via the Elevation program when it comes to employment opportunities.

ph1980 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.The course is level 8 and is advertised as essentially a conversion course for non accounting graduates putting them in the same position as those with a level 8 degree in accounting.It gives exemptions from all the CAP1 exams. What I'm trying to figure out is if it would be more highly regarded than taking CAP1 via the Elevation program when it comes to employment opportunities.

As it's a terminal exam, it may be seen as a slight benefit, but nothing of note in my opinion.

It'd probably be a negative if it took longer than a year to complete as you should be further advanced in your CAI exams if you took that route.

If it only takes a year then it makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

did hdip business studies in nuigalway many years ago, after having done IT degree, got a trainee accountancy role after finishing hdip. gained some exemptions from professional exams as result of hdip and now within touching distance of being fully qualified. do your research and see if course ticks the boxes for you

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

A good few people I worked with (PwC) did non accounting related degrees and got jobs through doing a H Dip. The majority of these were mainly from Engineering courses or other maths based courses so doing an Arts degree might hold you back getting one a job in one of the bigger auditing firm but you'd definitely get a job somewhere. My opinion would be that a H Dip would be better than passing CAP 1's yourself especially if you get a good grade in the H Dip.

Also I know nothing about WIT's course but I'd guess that courses in DCU, NUIG and DIT would probably be regarded higher as this is where people working with me came from.

• Advertisement

Final comment on this... for what it's worth.

If I had two candidates for a trainee/assistant accountant position with everything else equal I'd take the applicant that took his CAP 1s rather than an add on diploma.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ph1980

Thanks for all the information.Its definitely given me a better idea of which route to pursue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I did a business degree but missed out on my CAP 1 exemptions as my grades weren't good enough.
    Would I be considered for a course like this or are they strictly for non business graduates?

Advertisement