Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meath GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Well thank God!!!!!!!!!
    Common sense finnally prevailed. Very happy with the result last night. The treatment of Banty by the county board was a disgrace. I think they've left themselves in a position were they have to step down.

rpurfield wrote: »
    i came back on to take back part of what i said about the panel as it was reported wrong in the papers, but honestly folks that had a pop at me for my last post, are we in a situation were were not allowed speak ill of the players?ive knocked around a hell of a lot of meath teams since i started going to games and ive never seen a team not try until that louth game.thats not bantys fault.sure the tactics were horribly wrong and i hate seeing us playing handpass after handpass, but regardless of tactics or even lack of ability id expect the team to have some pride, especially against louth, and try.maybe i was being sweeping but theres a hell of a lot of wanna be celebrities around that panel and its their lack of desire for the shirt thats hanging the management, and even the players who do give it their all, out to dry.

on another note, i honestly think the county board will not get their two thirds majority tonight.if thats the case surely to god the executive becomes untenable and im praying that some of the club delegates have the bottle to point that out if we get to that situation.

changing tack yet again have ye read trevor giles in the examiner the other day?great read and completly spot on i think. http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/trevor-giles/time-to-get-the-basics-right-190539.html
    A really good read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

my friend wrote: »
    You cant handle the truth I take it.

Makes no odds to me - I'm from Kerry - but you're making yourself look classless IMO, that's all.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Makes no odds to me - I'm from Kerry - but you're making yourself look classless IMO, that's all.
    100% agreed. I am from Meath and this is classless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,224 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Agreed, that post shows a serious lack of class IMO.

Couldnt agree more tbh!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Agree completely. I'm not saying Barney shouldn't take some responsibility (along with others) for the mess we're in but posting the stuff that's been posted isn't on.
    And the man himself is a lovely guy. In fact the vast majority (if not all) the county board are genuinely nice people. Just last year I was doing fundraising and had a Meath jersey I wanted to be signed by the team for auction. Thinking I was chancing my arm emailing the County Board asking if they could help, I was emailed back to drop the jersey into Navan and they'd get the players to sign it after training. Had the jersey signed by the entire team back within the next two weeks.

Anyway, despite my immediate reaction directly after the Louth game, I'm pleased Banty is being given the rest of the season to try and rectify the mess. I might be being delusional, but hopefully this whole episode will be looked back on in the future as the beginning of the recovery of Meath football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭rpurfield

just one point about barney folks, his five years is up at the end of this year so well have a new county board chairman anyway. i agree with what has been said the man is a complete gentleman, ive had dealings with him from refereeing and met him a few times when id be at games with my father, as hes the clubs county board delegate i wouldnt say a bad word against him as a person but he was never cut out to be county board chairman.thinking back i kinda remember some sort of a kickback against dempsey over something and thats hows barney got the job.

anyway ill be in carlow may 27th roaring the lads on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

How long (cumulatively) have the members of the county board served on the board?

How many positions are there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 seanboylan87

draffodx wrote: »
    I agree, going back to Boylan isn't the best solution and that Meath even the players themselves, in fact maybe more so and thats the problem believe that they simply have a right to be a big name team, it's been evident for a few years now that a lot of the players have more interest in themselves being semi celebrity types than in putting their heart and soul into playing for the County.

Boylan instilled steel into all his teams and that's the first ingredient we need to get back if we're not going to be embarrassed in the championship.

MOD EDIT:<SNIP>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

MOD EDIT:<SNIP>

Hmmmmm, that was quite a rant wasn't it,

Lets hope that this starts a serious discussion on the state of Meath Football and that plans are put in place to improve our standing.
    Anyway, time to stand together and back Banty and the boys and put all this crap behind us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

We need a big show for the championship!! Up the royal!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

To all the Barney Allen lovers:

Classless is how Barney tried to pull a fast one on Sean Boylan.
    It would also be true to say that many felt Seán Boylan became an innocent victim of this saga and it was not right or proper that the county board should use this most honourable man in such a way.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/men-of-substance-needed-to-haul-meath-out-of-mire-3088229.html
    The next chairman must be a man of substance

County Board route, get them out!

Minor hurlers beat Wicklow by 4 points in the Leinster Championship. Up against Wexford in the next round. It'll be interesting to see how they do. Very little chance of winning but hopefully not too big a defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

It's actually Offaly they are against in the next round, in Tullamore.

It's actually Offaly they are against in the next round, in Tullamore.
    Ah I get it. I thought we played the winner of the Wexford - Offaly game.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Ah I get it. I thought we played the winner of the Wexford - Offaly game.

you know nothing, stick to defending Barney Allen....

we will then clearly know you for your erroneous ways

and forgiveness and empathy will avoid you a backlash

So looking ahead to the championship, Is there any player that has been overlooked that you think should get a chance. I mean surely there are better midfielders in the county than those playing at the moment.

Also does anyone know of any challange matches coming up

my friend wrote: »
    you know nothing, stick to defending Barney Allen....

we will then clearly know you for your erroneous ways

and forgiveness and empathy will avoid you a backlash
    Good lad yourself. Judging by your posts abusing people left, right and centre on here, you're a true Meath GAA man yourself.

Felexicon wrote: »
    So looking ahead to the championship, Is there any player that has been overlooked that you think should get a chance. I mean surely there are better midfielders in the county than those playing at the moment.

Also does anyone know of any challange matches coming up
    Unfortunately, I'm not sure there are many midfielders who would definitely be better than what we have now. Obviously Shane O Rourke would be a good addition in midfield when he's back from injury. I also think Menton wouldn't be a bad shout to try in midfield but then again, I feel he's our best option at half back at the moment.
    I've read that Peader Byrne is back on the panel. Great player on his day but he's a liability when it comes to discipline. One player I'd like to see given an opportunity up front (especially now Sheridan and Gilsenan are out) is Michael Newman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

One player I'd like to see given an opportunity up front (especially now Sheridan and Gilsenan are out) is Michael Newman.

I heard from a friend/colleague of mine that this guy Newman played out around midfield against Louth after the sendings off. By all accounts he did pretty well there.Possible option at midfield?

• Advertisement

blackbelt wrote: »
    I heard from a friend/colleague of mine that this guy Newman played out around midfield against Louth after the sendings off. By all accounts he did pretty well there.Possible option at midfield?
    Incorrect, it was actually Tom Walsh who moved out to midfield against Louth and did quite well

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

Sheridan to return? Seems crazy to think that he would come back after only 6 weeks in the US - any one closer to the story know anything about this?

Ladjacket wrote: »
    Sheridan to return? Seems crazy to think that he would come back after only 6 weeks in the US - any one closer to the story know anything about this?
    Yeah it might be on the cards, He only left because he couldn't get work so if he has a job sorted here he may come back. Hope he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

some people complain about players who dont care if they win or lose, no pride in the shirt etc, in every county. But if Sheridan came back, what a personal sacrifice that would be. Whether he can get work or not, to come home from the US where he could be living it up, to come into the storm that is Meath GAA at the minute, is brave. Well done him.

some people complain about players who dont care if they win or lose, no pride in the shirt etc, in every county. But if Sheridan came back, what a personal sacrifice that would be. Whether he can get work or not, to come home from the US where he could be living it up, to come into the storm that is Meath GAA at the minute, is brave. Well done him.
    Ah yeah but to be fair no one could ever question his commitment to the cause. The man is a legend.

There's no show like a Joe Show

Ah yeah but to be fair no one could ever question his commitment to the cause. The man is a legend.

There's no show like a Joe Show

ah yeah i understand this but i mean, as an outsider looking in, how many lads would have went 'feck it, im in the states having a ball, why would I go back there'? No disrespect to Meath whatsoever, but it is a bit of a sham at the minute and I think the fella is really showing himself to be a legend as you rightly put it.

Hope he comes back now and tears up the championship for ye's

ah yeah i understand this but i mean, as an outsider looking in, how many lads would have went 'feck it, im in the states having a ball, why would I go back there'? No disrespect to Meath whatsoever, but it is a bit of a sham at the minute and I think the fella is really showing himself to be a legend as you rightly put it.

Hope he comes back now and tears up the championship for ye's
    What makes you say that? Its the greatest tactic an inter county manager has ever employed. Get relegated to Div 3 and take the backlash for a week or 2. Next year go undefeated in Div 3 and be remembered for years as the manager of the perfect season. League champs '13 :P

Also hope Big Joe tears the arse out of it. He's a hero

the man is home and all he tweeted about the flight this morning.id say senchelstown will be delighted hes back too.another round of club championship this week too ive a few days off so its looking like i might get a pats game in, a rare occurence these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Unfortunately, I'm not sure there are many midfielders who would definitely be better than what we have now. Obviously Shane O Rourke would be a good addition in midfield when he's back from injury. I also think Menton wouldn't be a bad shout to try in midfield but then again, I feel he's our best option at half back at the moment.
    I've read that Peader Byrne is back on the panel. Great player on his day but he's a liability when it comes to discipline. One player I'd like to see given an opportunity up front (especially now Sheridan and Gilsenan are out) is Michael Newman.

Has Newman not emigrated? I thought he had.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »
    Has Newman not emigrated? I thought he had.
    Not sure to be honest. I didn't hear anything about him emigrating. He did play for Kilmainham in the League earlier this month but I see he didn't play at all in the first round of the Junior Championship two weeks ago.
    I see Mark Ward is out of the Leinster championship (and probably the whole AI championship as well). Tom Walshe should be starting in midfield now. Heard Shane O Rourke has had another setback trying to recover from hip surgery.

Not sure to be honest. I didn't hear anything about him emigrating. He did play for Kilmainham in the League earlier this month but I see he didn't play at all in the first round of the Junior Championship two weeks ago.
    I see Mark Ward is out of the Leinster championship (and probably the whole AI championship as well). Tom Walshe should be starting in midfield now. Heard Shane O Rourke has had another setback trying to recover from hip surgery.
    Hate to say it but this may actually play to Meaths advantage

Hate to say it but this may actually play to Meaths advantage
    Possibly but I think he had a better league than Brian Meade. It's just incredibly infuriating how he just constantly punches the ball when going up for it. I wouldn't mind if he was doing it in a way to break the ball to one of our players, but he just seems to punch it in any direction.
    But I would certainly feel better to be without his notoriously bad tackling for the championship. Both himself and Peader Byrne scare the bejaysus out of me when they're on a yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

I seem to remember reading somewhere that John L. Magee was the top scorer for a few years in a row in the IFC. Are my memories correct? Why didn't he get on the Meath senior panel? Too old now?

Big win for Donaghmore/Ash against the Hill in the SFC. I'd expect them to get to the final at least this year.
    Ourselves just managed to beat O' Mahoney's second team in the Junior A. Curraha were surprisingly knocked out of the Junior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Oh, he's sure to be legendary, just not for those reasons. ;)

Syferus wrote: »

Oh, he's sure to be legendary, just not for those reasons. ;)
    Why then?

I see Johnny Evans has been added to Meath's back room team. Personally i think he proved to be a very short term answer to a long term goal in Tipperary. Wont be cheap either esp as he still lives in Kerry.

What are your owns views on Evans as Meath fans? Optimism, Pessimism or Meh?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I see Johnny Evans has been added to Meath's back room team. Personally i think he proved to be a very short term answer to a long term goal in Tipperary. Wont be cheap either esp as he still lives in Kerry.

What are your owns views on Evans as Meath fans? Optimism, Pessimism or Meh?!

Excuse me? On what planet are you operating?

He landed your first ever u21 Munster title, back-to-back promotions in the league and was instrumental in maintaining the glimmers of under-age progress before he arrived in 2008. Five seasons is a very long term 'answer' in inter-county managerial terms. One bad league doesn't really change much of anything and Tipperary should be hugely thankful to Evans for all his work, before he got there Tipp were regarded as guaranteed win on all but the weakest teams' schedules.

• Advertisement

He landed your first ever u21 Munster title, back-to-back promotions in the league and was instrumental in maintaining the glimmers of under-age progress before he arrived in 2008. Five seasons is a very long term 'answer' in inter-county managerial terms. One bad league doesn't really change much of anything and Tipperary should be huge thankful to Evans for all his work, before he got there Tipp were regarded as guaranteed win on all but the weakest teams' schedules.

Yes he did all that in fairness to him i wont deny but i dont think he could take Tipp any further. The players lost sorry, got hammmered in 5 games in a row of this years league campaign and during his tenure we didnt win 1 game in Munster and yet despite this he is believed to have also took €110k off our county board in 2011.
    €50k in wages for his 'director role' and another €60k claimed in expenses...for what exactly? Our budget deficit last year you wouldnt mind was €220k.

Tipp may have made progress the first two years but then suffered 3 poor league campaigns in a row and went right back to the beginning. He cant take any credit for the minors last year much as he'd like to. Davy Power managed that team. I wont deny his contribution but it wasnt as massive as Johnny liked to make it out to be.

Johnny stated a few years ago when he linked himself to the selectors role for the Kerry u21 job alongside Jack O'Shea that 'You cant have 2 women at the one sink'. Him and Banty will be interesting.

I wonder how much input Banty (whom as you already know the Meath County Board were trying to remove last week) had into his appointment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

He landed your first ever u21 Munster title, back-to-back promotions in the league and was instrumental in maintaining the glimmers of under-age progress before he arrived in 2008. Five seasons is a very long term 'answer' in inter-county managerial terms. One bad league doesn't really change much of anything and Tipperary should be hugely thankful to Evans for all his work, before he got there Tipp were regarded as guaranteed win on all but the weakest teams' schedules.

Have to agree with Gunner here, Evans had a very good impact originally but he has lets say an extremely high opinion of himself and is very hard to work with, alot of the players were absolutely delighted to see him leave, which can be seen by their last two league results and as a result of he's five years in Tipp the county board is crippled with Debt.

He's CV is very impressive though as you have said and at Club level aswell, from any dealings I have had with him he stroke me as very knowledgable and single minded but very blunt and basically he's always right in he's own mind, I can see fireworks between himself and Banty tbh.

Have to agree with Gunner here, Evans had a very good impact originally but he has lets say an extremely high opinion of himself and is very hard to work with, alot of the players were absolutely delighted to see him leave, which can be seen by their last two league results and as a result of he's five years in Tipp the county board is crippled with Debt.

He's CV is very impressive though as you have said and at Club level aswell, from any dealings I have had with him he stroke me as very knowledgable and single minded but very blunt and basically he's always right in he's own mind, I can see fireworks between himself and Banty tbh.

Your character assessment is bang on from what I know of him as well FWIW.

Christ, how did the hurlers manage to pull that one off.
    From the reports, they were 3-8 to 6 points down at half time against London and ended up winning 4-8 to 3-10 thanks to a late goal by Peter Durnin.
    Anyone know who they're playing next or is there a draw to be made?

Also, fair play to the minor hurlers who managed to keep within 2 points of Offaly yesterday. Clearly, there is serious potential to improve in hurling if the right attitude is taken.

so big joe marked his return by scoring two goals against westmeath yesterday.big win by all accounts but an experimental westmeath line up.was anybody at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭whatnext

rpurfield wrote: »
    so big joe marked his return by scoring two goals against westmeath yesterday.big win by all accounts but an experimental westmeath line up.was anybody at it

Didn't go but my Father did, despite saying he had watched his last Meath match (yet again) after the Louth league game.

He said it was a decent run out, the key improvement in his eyes was Johnny Evans on the line, he showed more passion than the whole panel combined did in the league. He was constantly communicating with the team, and giving them dogs for not holding their positions. Reckons well over half the passes made during the match were forward, rather than 90% sideways or backwards as in the league. We used the width of the pitch, had forwards up front and defenders at the back( an interesting concept). Defenders were even under instruction to beat their man to the ball. Also a lot less of the pulling and dragging.
    S Kenny back in the half backs.
    Joe was a bit off the pace, but has the brain to get by and did so effectively.
    Reilly safe at full back, Cian Ward looked uninterested, G Reilly ran with a lot of ball without too much productivity. Peader Byrne surprised him and did ok in midfield, he caught more ball than the midfield from the league combined. S Bray went of injured, went to the bench and asked to be taken off (the old man reckoned it might have been to cold for him)

Westmeath were poor, but not as bad as the score suggested (4-14 to 0-8, I think).

All the above comes with a major health warning, its all second hand from the most pessimistic man in the world (but also a fanatical Meath fan that has been attending games all over the country for the past 40 years)

• Advertisement

Whatever else you want to say about John Evans, attributing an unexpected shift towards attacking football to him is likely to be a complete misinterpretation of a situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

Whatever else you want to say about John Evans, attributing an unexpected shift towards attacking football to him is likely to be a complete misinterpretation of a situation.
    We can but hope that it is a move to attacking football, and the trend will continue. At least its a positive after so many negatives in recent games.
    Heres wishing........

Anyone heading to the open training session in Navan tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

Anyone heading to the open training session in Navan tonight
    Guys did anyone go? any feed back.

Minors easily beat Offaly to make the Leinster semi finals.

Hurlers into the Christy Ring semi finals after getting revenge on Kildare for the league win :D
    Up against either Wicklow or Down in the semi final. Great chance to make the final in Croke Park.

• Advertisement
Advertisement