Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sandman

Options
  • 16-11-2010 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Not a comic person but I seen 'The Sandman Vol 2' in the Library the other day and was amazed at the size of it alone. Had a quick flick through and it seemed off the wall. Has anyone read these books? Are they worth reading? Any thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I've read the first three and they are absolutely fantastic stories.

I'd say get the first off a mate online or second hand to see if you like it. But, of course I'm biased!

Gaiman is such a superb writer (I've also read Neverwhere and planning to read American Gods next. He also wrote Stardust).

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Redbhoy

Thanks for the reply. I wont be purchasing the book. Thats what Libraries are for. :-)
    What is the storyline?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Don't really want to give anything away. But the first (well the whole series) has to do with Dream (who looks like Robert Smith out of The Cure!) and his sister Death.

It seems very kitchy, but as the story progresses it's a just a complete and utter headmelt!

I really don't want to give anything away. But in the first book Dream has lost a few of his "tools of the trade". He teams up with John Constantine (yes of the film/comic fame) and tries to get these back.

This is making me want to read it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Redbhoy

Very good. Fate brought it into my view in the library so something is telling me to read them.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Paul P Byrne

Sandman is an absolute must read and the best part about it is the more you read it the more you get out of it. Oh and if you like Sandman check out Mike Carey's Lucifer run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Just browsing through this forum and I thought I would jump in on this thread.

I have had all the Sandman graphic novels for years, in my opinion it is one of the best stories I have ever read, the fact that is in comic form helps form images of the fantastic story it is and what the Author wants to convey...

I recently bought all 5 Absolute Volumes... They are works of Art and look lovely on any bookshelf/altar..! There are deals on ebay and amazon popping up all the time. I am glad I have Gaiman´s opus as my prize possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Is hellblazer worth checking out? Should I go through in order or jump in anywhere?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Icaras wrote: »
    Is hellblazer worth checking out? Should I go through in order or jump in anywhere?

Not really sure how you made the jump from Sandman to Hellblazer, but anyway :)

I think Hellblazer has some great stories, but it's very different to Sandman - I think for most of it you're better off reading through it in order, but there are certain stories (All His Engines, Dark Entries, Pandemonium) that can be read by themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Fysh wrote: »
    Not really sure how you made the jump from Sandman to Hellblazer, but anyway :)

Because Constantine appears in Sandman. I added 2+2 and got 19 :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Icaras wrote: »
    Because Constantine appears in Sandman. I added 2+2 and got 19 :)

Oh, that's right - they had them cross over with the premise of John asking Dream for help because he kept having nightmares or something. Clearly I'm overdue a re-read of Sandman ;)

One thing I'd meant to say with Hellblazer is that some of the early stuff can be a bit of a chore to get through, but it's worth it IMO. The first trade, for example, has a bit of a clunky story about Vietnam that doesn't work for me, but most of the rest of it is pretty damn good and particular the issue about Mammon that satirised 80s politics, yuppies and the rise of Margaret Thatcher was great.

Similarly, some of Delano's stuff gets a bit meta in a way that may or may not work for you - but storylines like The Fear Machine or The Family Man are excellent and make it worth putting up with the occasional lapses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

I would pick Hellblazer or Sandman. I brought the whole run of Sandman in trade paper back off Adverts. Was really looking forward to it and give up somewhere around Vol 5 and sold it. Found the whole thing too up it's own hole and lack a narrative structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Sandman is kind of like the Shakespeare of adult comics and certainly should be read.
    Alan Moore's Swamp Thing is certainly another worth reading and is actually where Constantine originates.
    Lucifer is an off shoot of Sandman and worth a read if you get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Sandman is kind of like the Shakespeare of adult comics and certainly should be read.
    Alan Moore's Swamp Thing is certainly another worth reading and is actually where Constantine originates.
    Lucifer is an off shoot of Sandman and worth a read if you get into it.

And "The Dreaming" is another offshoot, More based around the people that have interacted with Sandman than a sandman story itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Regarding on whom he looks like isn't Morpheus(Dream) modelled on Neil Gaiman circa 1989. I have only read the first 40 issues myself, my favorites are the Augustus Caesar and Mid Summer Nights Dream issues but the Cereal Convention one is also awesome as is the Joanna Constantine one in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Redbhoy wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I wont be purchasing the book. Thats what Libraries are for. :-)
    What is the storyline?

Blanchardstown Library had a full run of it. So you shouldn't have any issue finishing it.

It's one of those must read epics.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

Forbidden Planet also has them at Buy 2 Get 1 Free at the moment if anyone is interested.

Works out roughly the same as getting them online, and don't have to wait (€39.98 per three volumes).

Just updating people about The Sandman:Overture.

the 6 part series has finished and will be available to buy on November 19th...

can´t wait...

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2015/10/two-baby-photos-and-oddly-enough-some.html

I just finished Overture....
    the art work is luxurious, the story fits in very well with the overall theme and tone of the The Sandman..
    some new characters and concepts introduced...

i'm just sorry I finished it so quick...

Advertisement