Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SQL in the cloud

Options
  • 10-09-2014 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

I have an SQL database that I want to move to the cloud, so it can be accessed anywhere, not just locally as it is at the minute. Microsoft azure seems to be a good option. Anyone know of other safe 3rd party options that are out there.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Amazon RDS is an option. Not necessarily the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭kevin306

Ya came across that too seems to be quite expensive. Apart from the big players which seem to be the only ones mentioned when researching on google, are there any others anyone has knowledge of?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Depending on your needs, I just priced up a tiny RDS instance at $14 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Is it for commercial or only personal use? The free tiers of Amazon and most DBaaS's would probably suit if it's the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭kevin306

Is it for commercial or only personal use? The free tiers of Amazon and most DBaaS's would probably suit if it's the latter.

Commercial, but would be fairly small scale to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

SQL Azure is good. Have been using it for about a year now.

Regarding using it anywhere; keep in mind that you need to configure Firewall rules to allow the IP addresses which need to connect to it. For this reason they would need to be static ip addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

John_Mc wrote: »
    Regarding using it anywhere; keep in mind that you need to configure Firewall rules to allow the IP addresses which need to connect to it. For this reason they would need to be static ip addresses.

It can be useful to use a VPN so that you aren't reliant on your connection being a static IP. Though I'm not sure how using a VPN fits in with using a PaaS such as Azure. I've only done it using IaaS (e.g. Amazon EC2) where you just need to create a VPN server on the same network as your DB server.

As others have said you need to block all external traffic to the DB except for some whitelisted addresses. Otherwise bots will start trying to bruteforce you. Also as per usual DB admin practice – disable any default accounts on the DB and create some new accounts with non-default names. Most unwanted traffic will attemps to use account names such as: sa, admin, administrator, etc.

In practice though I'm not a fan of putting a DB server on a public IP. I think its better practice to have a public facing HTTP server that reads and writes to the DB (e.g. a restful API). You can then implement a nice authentication layer (preferably an out of the box one).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Aswerty wrote: »
    Otherwise bots will start trying to bruteforce you. Also as per usual DB admin practice – disable any default accounts on the DB and create some new accounts with non-default names. Most unwanted traffic will attemps to use account names such as: sa, admin, administrator, etc.
    ...plus don't use default service port numbers.

Advertisement