Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus API

Options
  • 11-09-2014 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if there are any existing APIs for Dublin Bus available - if you know of any I'd appreciate a point in the right direction. I'd rather not rely on scraping if at all possible.

Found the following API, but it relies on scraping in the background I guess:
    https://github.com/jneill/dublinbus-api

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Little late to the party here guys, is some if this real time info or is that available , is this just sample data?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭t1mm

The link in my post is live, but it is basically a screenscraper running in the background which gives you a nice API to connect to. It's not directly from Dublin Bus and not 100% reliable if Dublin Bus decide to change their website around.

The second link provided seems to only be in a trial stage and limited to registered users - I'm not sure how one goes about becoming registered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Have you considered using a random number generator? Probably no less accurate for Dublin Bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

When I made my public transport app, I had to write my own REST server that connected to, among other things, the official Dublin Bus SOAP API. While there's little to no documentation, its not too hard to figure out.

If you can, read up a bit on SOAP and WSDL files and you should be able to skip using any 3rd party implementations and roll your own, with a little effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭mightyreds

The_B_Man wrote: »
    When I made my public transport app, I had to write my own REST server that connected to, among other things, the official Dublin Bus SOAP API. While there's little to no documentation, its not too hard to figure out.

If you can, read up a bit on SOAP and WSDL files and you should be able to skip using any 3rd party implementations and roll your own, with a little effort.

I will look into this hopefully be able to make sense of some of it

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭t1mm

The_B_Man wrote: »

Thanks - I was under the impression that there wasn't actually any official APIs. Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Have you considered using a random number generator? Probably no less accurate for Dublin Bus.

Anytime I see random number generator, Im immediately reminded that this exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

That link Graham gave in post #2 includes a link to the RTPI REST API documentation

Advertisement