Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental market in Athlone

Options
  • 31-01-2015 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I am thinking of buying a property in Athlone as a rental. I did a drive around today and looked at a few properties I am interested in all are not too far from the college.
    I did notice a lot of for rent signs and student accommodation etc and it made me wonder is the market saturated with rentals in the area ?
    I would be quite happy to accept students or people on rent supplement and am a very fair landlord I have a realistic view of wear and tear etc as I have several other properties.
    Before anybody asks why Athlone I will explain, I have some time off soon and can only get my hands on about 40k of a mortgage at this moment so Athlone is the only place I can find in that range.
    There is nothing in Dublin, Kildare, meath etc at that price.
    Any and all opinions would be very appreciated.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭EmeraldDragon

If you are looking at the cheap as **** places around willow then save your money. Those hell holes are dirt cheap for a reason. Steer clear. The entire area is split into council housing for the worst of the worst and student accommodation where the students know the houses arent worth **** and so they more often than not will destroy the place costing you more than you will likely make. Nobody will willingly live there other than students and then only because they are strapped for cash and lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

If you are looking at the cheap as **** places around willow then save your money. Those hell holes are dirt cheap for a reason. Steer clear. The entire area is split into council housing for the worst of the worst and student accommodation where the students know the houses arent worth **** and so they more often than not will destroy the place costing you more than you will likely make. Nobody will willingly live there other than students and then only because they are strapped for cash and lazy.

Is there anywhere you would recommend in Athlone ? Would the places beside the primary care centre be better or worse than willow area ?
    Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭EmeraldDragon

I live a little down the way from the Primary Care centre and the places round it are fine. Like anywhere theres always one or two idiots around but no more than anywhere else from what Ive seen. Most of the town is kinda like that to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

I live a little down the way from the Primary Care centre and the places round it are fine. Like anywhere theres always one or two idiots around but no more than anywhere else from what Ive seen. Most of the town is kinda like that to be honest.
    Ok I take your point it's the same everywhere but it's best to avoid willow area if at all possible.

Advertisement