Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2015: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Right, and that's why I said that's probably not where the fault is. The fault seems to be in the packaging of the whole thing in the back of the car, which you can't test. Still, for someone like Renault the issue seems to be overall power and driveability, the first of which can be improved on a dyno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Zcott wrote: »
    Right, and that's why I said that's probably not where the fault is. The fault seems to be in the packaging of the whole thing in the back of the car, which you can't test. Still, for someone like Renault the issue seems to be overall power and driveability, the first of which can be improved on a dyno.

At the rate Renault power units are blowing up in expensive clouds of smoke, they probably don't want to dyno any of their engines. Each time one goes pop it's a few million $$$ up in smoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

1978890_944502372297758_3850804046833294033_n.jpg?oh=e862fc2a3b5d0d8c0717ef343284d142&oe=562DE17A

It looks like someone is playing a game of Jumanji on that top.

He is also getting a bashing on twitter from his appearance on TFIF.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Brian_Zeluz

Hulkenberg wins Le Mans during the break while Hamilton goes to a fashion show, bloody hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Hulkenberg wins Le Mans during the break

Will that raise Nico's stock in F1 a bit? Or is he doomed to a midfield career?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Myrddin wrote: »

Looking at a long and fruitful endurance racing career hopefully. Seeing the list of manufacturers already involved or soon to be involved in WEC makes F1 look quite poor by comparison.

Looking at a long and fruitful endurance racing career hopefully. Seeing the list of manufacturers already involved or soon to be involved in WEC makes F1 look quite poor by comparison.

So you reckon he might switch to Endurance? Interesting, it'd be F1's loss I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭Harika

Nico was always seen as hot option, but because he is quite big and, without being overweight, heavy, was always a bit out of the competition for the top teams. (A smaller/lighter driver leaves more space for aerodynamics and his ideal weight is also lower, what gives benefits)

WEC is in its fourth year and so far all other Endurance Racing Series have gone belly up after some years, like GT1 at the end of the 90s when Mercedes came and opened their check book to win what drove Porsche away what then meant the end of the GT1 class. Peugeot went already away and Toyota doesn't seem to happy either putting a lot of money now into the car to make it competitive again. And as brands they are highly likely to pull the plug at any time. See BMW after the 1999 win in LeMans.
    WEC looks only good when you look at everything in F1 that goes wrong, besides that there is a long way to get the exposure you get in F1 or just think of the winner in the LMP2 class, who was that? Or who won the GTE Pro class? So it is fine to be in the winners spotlight of LMP1, behind that you are in no mans land, except for experts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Hulkenberg wins Le Mans during the break while Hamilton goes to a fashion show, bloody hell.

Even if Hamilton did want to take part in Le Mans do you honestly think Mercedes are just going to allow their main driver to go off and race for Porsche or Audi? And he is currently having is best start ever to an F1 season. I for one wouldnt begrudge the man a bit of downtime inbetween races.

Yeah I know the height thing goes against Hulkenberg, it's a shame, he's demonstrated loads of times that he's got racing in his blood. I'd love to see what he could do in the Williams, half of me wouldn't mind seeing the back of Massa as he's become a bit of a loud mouth in recent times while rarely impressing on track.

I would like to see Hulk in a decent car, he would be suited to running at the front.

Not to mention, he has been out performing the car this year to a decent degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'd love to see him at Ferrari or Williams, although I'm not sure if the latter will remain competitive. Knowing Hulk's luck, they'll probably fall back into the midfield when he joins them.

Possibly stick him in the Ferrari if Kimis goes again? Rumour has it that they are interested in Bottas also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Harika wrote: »
    WEC is in its fourth year and so far all other Endurance Racing Series have gone belly up after some years

Maybe, but with the major manufacturers currently in WEC, hopefully competitive Nissan next year and rumours of a BMW LMP1 entry, it is becoming a very good series. The racing is great with a handful of seconds covering the top places. The likes of Forza and Gran Turismo have also introduced Le Mans to a new audience. Also, can Mercedes stay in F1 if their main commercial competitors are at Le Mans?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Brian_Zeluz

I can't see how it wouldn't! If the opportunities his talent deserves don't materialise I think there would be a number of WEC teams more than happy to accommodate him. Languishing in the F1 midfield forever being a wasted talent or having a far more successful sporstcar/prototypes career, seems like an easy choice to me.

tigerboon wrote: »
    Also, can Mercedes stay in F1 if their main commercial competitors are at Le Mans?

Mercedes are battling BMW and Audi in the DTM, with making this series a global one, racing in Japan and the US. So they are doing this already. If they go to the WEC, they are two years at least behind in development time, so earliest 2018 with a full scale entry, meanwhile there will be new F1 regulations coming for 2017 and I don't see them stepping back from F1, when they get all the headlines there. How many people watched the F1 race in Silverstone and how many the WEC race?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Am I right in saying the wec porsches are petrol hybrid while the audi is diesel hybrid. A big step towards a return to petrol engines for the man on the street I would have thought

• Advertisement

Yep, the 919 has a petrol V4 (a bit of me wonders why they didn't go with Porsche's famous boxer engines) coupled with a hybrid powertrain while the Audi R18 has a diesel V6, also paired with a hybrid powertrain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Gintonious wrote: »
    He is also getting a bashing on twitter from his appearance on TFIF.

He was pretty uninteresting, but what made it worse was that the show turned into a mini Top Gear, which sort of killed the fun. If Hamilton had had a five minute slot like all the other guests, that would've been OK. But his "I've a great team" demeanour was never going to work in a show famous for loud mouth guests! :)

As for the racing, been reading stuff here and on the PlanetF1 forum; it seems the only way to battle 'lift and coast' is to have a standard fuel amount that all teams must use. That amount would be enough to get them to the end if they raced flat out, they could calculate it based on average lap times. Some engines will be more economical and use their fuel quicker, therefore making the car lighter and faster, and this could throw up some surprises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

Artist's impression of Ferrari on 18" wheels:

F1F-Michelin_18s-F138-886x590.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I think 18" wheels look fantastic, but the engineers hate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

_rebelkid wrote: »

USGP 2005, #neverforget

• Advertisement

Zcott wrote: »
    I think 18" wheels look fantastic, but the engineers hate it.

Why do engineers hate it? Sure it requires completely different setup theory but I would have thought that the change would take much of the movement out of the tyre, movement that was hard to control or accurately model and put some more movement back in the suspension that can be thoroughly engineered.

mickdw wrote: »
    Why do engineers hate it? Sure it requires completely different setup theory but I would have thought that the change would take much of the movement out of the tyre, movement that was hard to control or accurately model and put some more movement back in the suspension that can be thoroughly engineered.

From my understanding, bigger wheels have a 'gearing' effect on a car, so in essence, the bigger the wheels the more torque is needed to reach a given speed that smaller wheels would reach with less torque? They'd also add weight too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Unsprung weight would be greater. It has x4 the effect of sprung weight.
    Although it would be interesting to see if less tyre outweighs more rim.

From my understanding, bigger wheels have a 'gearing' effect on a car, so in essence, the bigger the wheels the more torque is needed to reach a given speed that smaller wheels would reach with less torque? They'd also add weight too.

That and the suspension will have to be a lot softer. With the current 13 in wheel, the tyre sidewall is fairly large, and that is most of the overall suspension travel of the car. Take that away, and you have to get the compliance from somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

bigger brakes though

• Advertisement

bigger brakes though

Harder to heat :pac:

Alot of talk here about unsprung weight and torque requirements.
    Considering f1 tech, I wouldn't be surprised if there was little change in weight of a wheel and tyre combined versus the current setup.
    Also, is it known whether the overall rolling radius is going to Change? Brundle drove something with bigger wheels and said it was hard to see enough on approach to corners.
    Either way, I still see the change as a huge new avenue for development in suspension tuning etc whereas currently they are limited by a big wobbly tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I thought that mostly applied to big wide tyres. A guy with a bike told me something similar, he said that there is a point where making the tyre any bigger/wider begins to negatively affect the car bike because there's more mass and rolling resistance.

An 18" F1 tyre is going to be roughly the same outside diameter and width but with more magnesium wheel and less plastic tyre. I would have assumed the tyre compound was probably heavier than the magnesium wheel. Whether is easier or harder to rotate the 18" wheel it's going to affect the engine and gearing either way. I could see a lighter wheel causing just as many problems in that the engine could over rev expecting a heavier wheel.

I think the braking advantage from having more space in the wheel would help reduce brake issues and give faster lap times. It would require a complete redesign of the suspension system though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭jasonb

Is there anywhere on the Southside of Dublin to watch the race live and maybe grab a bite of food on Sunday?

Thanks...

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Poor form from Setanta as they are not showing the Austrian practise sessions live.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

11406418_931341266922328_3485137232778402752_o.jpg

Red bull again affirming that they might leave the sport.

Talk about throwing your toys out of the pram.

I'd imagine the Austrian GP would be a tad awkward without them on the grid. :pac:

Can F1 afford the crapstorm that would be a major team leaving the sport? What would the fallout be if Red Bull did indeed leave, would a works team come in & buy them out?

• Advertisement

I think Renault would be happy to buy them, but you also have to think of the negative fallout for Red Bull if they simply close the doors, 1000+ people will be on the streets, lot of negative PR for the company that simply goes away. F1 has dealt with a lot of teams walking away, HRT, Catherham, BMW, Toyota recently or in general, so this is nothing new. On the other side, applications for new teams are open, Haas is coming, so even if they walk away with both teams, F1 will survive.

but you also have to think of the negative fallout for Red Bull if they simply close the doors, 1000+ people will be on the streets

Presumably though if they were bought out, the majority of the jobs would be saved no?

Presumably though if they were bought out, the majority of the jobs would be saved no?

Sure but who really has the money to buy them? But let's say Red Bull leaves and hands over to Renault or for the argument IBM. No changes to be expected, I doubt Chris Horner or anyone else would be sacked.
    Would there be a crap storm over this?

Sure but who really has the money to buy them? But let's say Red Bull leaves and hands over to Renault or for the argument IBM. No changes to be expected, I doubt Chris Horner or anyone else would be sacked.
    Would there be a crap storm over this?

Probably not, & the damage would be to Red Bulls own brand only, with F1 retaining the team albeit under a new name? Red Bull would defend its decision by stating F1 is a joke, & F1 would defend itself by saying Red Bull weren't complaining when they were hoovering up constructors titles. After a season or two we'd probably all forget it & have something new to discuss :D

After a season or two we'd probably all forget it & have something new to discuss :D

I doubt the discussions would even survive the winter break. Australia maybe, oh yeah Red Bull is missing, we have now X. And then forgotten. Like Caterham is missing 8 months and if they wouldn't have fought for survival news had stopped in October.

Like Caterham is missing 8 months and if they wouldn't have fought for survival news had stopped in October.

True but there's a tad bit of a difference between Red Bull & Caterham. It's no surprise to see backend teams coming & going, but to see a team who were in some ways almost untouchable for three seasons, go from that to an exit in two seasons would be more profound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Infoanon

True but there's a tad bit of a difference between Red Bull & Caterham. It's no surprise to see backend teams coming & going, but to see a team who were in some ways almost untouchable for three seasons, go from that to an exit in two seasons would be more profound.

They said the same about Lotus and Brabham, imho anyone who thought a drinks company would be in F1 for the long term was fooling themselves

Infoanon wrote: »
    They said the same about Lotus and Brabham, imho anyone who thought a drinks company would be in F1 for the long term was fooling themselves

But you could turn that around & say anyone who thought a drinks company would be driver AND constructor champions for four seasons in a row would have been fooling themselves no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭christy c

Even if Renault bought Red Bull which isn't certain, what about Torro Rosso? Not many would have the cash to run 2 teams. It would be a huge blow to F1, to think otherwise would be daft.

Having said that, I think RB are just trying to play hard ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

I think Renault would be happy to buy them, but you also have to think of the negative fallout for Red Bull if they simply close the doors, 1000+ people will be on the streets, lot of negative PR for the company that simply goes away. F1 has dealt with a lot of teams walking away, HRT, Catherham, BMW, Toyota recently or in general, so this is nothing new. On the other side, applications for new teams are open, Haas is coming, so even if they walk away with both teams, F1 will survive.

It's a strange strategy by Red Bull though as they basically gave Audi the "Come here big boy" routine earlier this year but that failed and now they're trying the "You're too ugly to f***" approach to Renault. It does suggest though that Mateschitz wants out and doesn't care who knows it. We could be looking at two teams and an engine supplier gone by the end of next season.

Advertisement