Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pint bottles of Guinness

Options
  • 28-11-2014 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭

Do they still make pint bottles of Guinness?

And if they do, can I get them in Cork, or will I have to drive to Waterford where I remember them being popular there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

they've had a bit of a renaissance in recent years, and in fact are a decent drink, and you should be at least be able to get 500ml bottles of Guinness Extra Stout in the likes of Tesco et al.

As for pint bottles in pubs, ask, you may be better off asking in "old man" pubs, but you might be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

pa990 wrote: »
    ....or will I have to drive to Waterford where I remember them being popular there.

+1 The pint bottle used to be wildly popular in Waterford because when the job of bottling Guinness was taken from publicans and given to local distributors, a bottle from Powers of Waterford was considered the best in the country. D.E. Williams of Tullamore also bottled decent stuff but only in Waterford was the pint bottle more popular than a draught pint.

Back in the 1970s, if a gang of Waterford soccer supporters came to town for a league or FAI Cup match, your average publican would find that whatever pint bottles they didn't drink there and then, they would buy as take-aways!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭donaghs

Yes, I've seen them in off licences in Dublin. Eg Whelans on Wexford st. Closest I've seen them to Cork City was either the Fields Supervalu on Skib, or the off licence beside it at the car park around back. Best to phone ahead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

donaghs wrote: »
    Yes, I've seen them in off licences in Dublin. Eg Whelans on Wexford st. Closest I've seen them to Cork City was either the Fields Supervalu on Skib, or the off licence beside it at the car park around back. Best to phone ahead!

Waterford man here, pint bottle still very popular in Waterford, in the west anyhow.

I've seen it in Cronins Crosshaven and Shortts Castlemartyr. Given the Nire are playing Sunday in Cork they better have it in the Imperial Sunday evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

Shelf or Cooler????

Cant beat a bottle of stout!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,245 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You should phone OBrien's (021-4369596) in Douglas and see if they have this...
    http://www.obrienswine.ie/guinness-dublin-porter-50cl-bottle.html?___SID=U

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Thanks for the replies guys,
    I should have specified Cork City,

I'll give obriens a shout over the weekend

pa990 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys,
    I should have specified Cork City,

I'll give obriens a shout over the weekend

Maybe the Castle Inn on North Main street

madfcuker wrote: »
    Shelf or Cooler????

Cant beat a bottle of stout!

Before the enclosed coolers with the glass doors that you see everywhere today, back in the 1970s a typical pub in London had a 'cold shelf' which was an open air shelf like the others except the bottles sat on a metal surface which was cooled from below. We used to store some Guinness bottles there because some customers asked for a cold bottle of stout but when I tasted one on one occasion I found it to be completely tasteless.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

Galvins Carry Outs do them all the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

is the 4x500ml pack available in dunnes etc the exact same as the pint bottle? im not so sure . You can get a pint bottle in some pubs in west Cork. A superb drink .......off the shelf is yer only man cooler be damned thats for the lager boys:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

it's the same beer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Extra Stout is widely available in cans and bottles in supermarkets.

The shops carry the 50cl bottle.

Now, the pint bottle of ES is hard to find in pubs, but not impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I drink pint bottles when in Waterford City. I'm 43 so far from an oul fella! Been drinking them for years as well. Nearly every pub would have them. I do like one off the shelf occasionally but normally cooler for me.

Tricky to get iny local off licences (Dublin). One or two do them around me.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I drink pint bottles when in Waterford City. I'm 43 so far from an oul fella! Been drinking them for years as well. Nearly every pub would have them. I do like one off the shelf occasionally but normally cooler for me.

Had one in the BierHaus Popes Quay, Cork on Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

Pinch Flat wrote: »

People associate bottles of Guinness to old lads. I've been drinking them since I was 25. I'm only 30 now. Can't beat a bottle of Guinness.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Can't beat a bottle of Guinness.

Yes you can. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Oh no you can't :)

Cut out that shyte lads or Twink will make an appearance as Widow Twankey!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Abbot Ale House, Devonshire Street sells them along with the other 2 of the holy trinity.
    Galvins on Bandon Road might do them as well, they were selling Macardales pint bottles a while back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Gravediggers do them.

Its actually a lot nicer than I thought "off the shelf"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

People associate bottles of Guinness to old lads. I've been drinking them since I was 25. I'm only 30 now. Can't beat a bottle of Guinness.
    I was at a wedding a few year ago in Killarney and the pints of Guinness were putrid so I asked the young fella behind the counter if he had any pint bottles of Guinness he started laughing and said they are gone out with years. I said with the sh1te you are pouring into the pint glass they would want to bring them back.

Advertisement