Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metalman - Yes they can!

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

I love 8 degrees by the way, and the online shop is a great idea. Terrible execution though.

Whats terrible about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

drumswan wrote: »
    Hes counting the 10% discount you get with your Beoir membership.

Drink store 10% discount gives 1.79 and if the Beoir 5% is still working with 8 degrees that's 1.74 a bottle

oblivious wrote: »
    if the Beoir 5% is still working with 8 degrees
    It isnt AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

snowblind wrote: »
    I do think the Metalman Pale is clearly better than any of the 8 degrees core range beers, so I would rather pay 25% more for the can anyways.

How do you work out that Metalman is 25% more expensive?

That would be correct if they were €2.49
    They are €2.79 in my local offie - that's closer to 40% more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I do think the Metalman Pale is clearly better than any of the 8 degrees core range beers, so I would rather pay 25% more for the can anyways.

When is the last time you tried a 8 Degrees core beer like Howling Gale for instance or do you just prefer paying more for cans regardless of the beer?

I think a blind taste test is in order. I've yet to try Metalman from a can so I've no idea how well it has be executed.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

How do you work out that Metalman is 25% more expensive?

That would be correct if they were €2.49
    They are €2.79 in my local offie - that's closer to 40% more expensive.
    I was going with the 4/10€ deal. Such a sessionable beer would be bought in such quantities by myself.

slayerking wrote: »
    When is the last time you tried a 8 Degrees core beer like Howling Gale for instance or do you just prefer paying more for cans regardless of the beer?

I think a blind taste test is in order. I've yet to try Metalman from a can so I've no idea how well it has be executed.
    I have and got no problem with blind testing it. Perhaps then we can make it a rule here never to talk about personal opinions of taste without scientific proof :cool:

I have and got no problem with blind testing it. Perhaps then we can make it a rule here never to talk about personal opinions of taste without scientific proof :cool:

You know, it would be a help for when people make nonsensical claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Not to mention you'd have to buy 48 more beers off them before you make the order.

The bulk-only selling policy on their online shop is surely there so that they don't undermine the other shops and distributors that they wholesale to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Ravelleman wrote: »
    The bulk-only selling policy on their online shop is surely there so that they don't undermine the other shops and distributors that they wholesale to.

I think it might be a legal requirement actually.

Ravelleman wrote: »

Its there because their brewers licence only allows them to sell 20L of beer at a time. Im surprised you are even able to mix the cases.

Obviously they dont want to undercut the retailer and cut out the distributer altogether either, they depend on both for practically all their sales.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Its there because their brewers licence only allows them to sell 20L of beer at a time.
    But they sell 8L at a time, don't they? It's just easier to sell by the case rather than fiddling with smaller orders, I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

isn't there a mixed case option?

It's fairly easy to organise five or six lads for a bulk buy anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I don't care about the price, the taste is pretty lacklustre. Not a patch on what they do on tap, not even what the keg of their Can Prototype tasted like on tap.

BeerNut wrote: »
    But they sell 8L at a time, don't they? It's just easier to sell by the case rather than fiddling with smaller orders, I reckon.

The minimum order of an order including beer is 3x24x330ml cases.

http://www.eightdegrees.ie/terms-and-conditions/

• Advertisement

OldBean wrote: »
    I don't care about the price, the taste is pretty lacklustre. Not a patch on what they do on tap, not even what the keg of their Can Prototype tasted like on tap.

Thought it was pretty spot on when compared to the draught, must try them side by side

The minimum order of an order including beer is 3x24x330ml cases.
    Ah. That'll be the requirement for wholesalers (including manufacturers when it's their own product) to sell a minimum amount of 4.5 gallons or two dozen reputed quart bottles, then. Huzzah for the Edwardian legislators! Long may they reign over us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Got to love the Law and its occasional absurdity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

4 for €10 in Bradleys too, but I found it disappointing compared to the draught version. Can't see myself rushing back to buy more unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

On my way to the cellar :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I was speaking to Mr. Off Licence man and he was saying that apparently the high cost was coming from Metalman.

I hear Blacks' KPA will be out in a couple of weeks. Be interesting to see what their pricing will be like. Apparently they are getting their canning done by Bulmers. Maybe that's the key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,539 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its now on O'Briens website (at 2.69) but is down as "out of stock". Not sure if its in any of the branches yet, as that stock level is usually only the Beacon store.

Well I'm just having one now. Very nice, but not as I remember the draught version. Smells lovely, it has that lovely rich biscuity malty smell that a lot of Irish Pale Ales have. Hops seem to be missing though, can't really taste them other the bitterness.

Credit where credit is due with the labelling too. It's looks fantastic.

It's certainly a beer that I'd buy again, but only if it was on offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

IMG_20150130_185723_zps1ybf79vc.jpg

Can't fault it. Would buy again. Very pleased with it.

Yes need offer though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

listermint wrote: »
    IMG_20150130_185723_zps1ybf79vc.jpg

Yes need offer though

In can we trust!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

you need to stop biting your finger-nails

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

At 5 for 10 Euro, I'd buy it, but Christ not at those prices.
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    It's certainly a beer that I'd buy again, but only if it was on offer.
    listermint wrote: »

Yes need offer though
    Seems to be a recurring theme here.

Yeah well that's kinda been the general theme of the thread since the price has been announced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

They spent 90 k on the canning machine, guess there trying to get it back as fast as possible, but if this pricing is the way there doing it, they wont have much success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Had 2 cans tonight. It's very good.

Price is an issue as 4 for €10 on Founders and Brewdog etc makes it a tough market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Had 2 cans tonight. It's very good.

Price is an issue as 4 for €10 on Founders and Brewdog etc makes it a tough market.

Thats the thing isn't, I can get a pint of metalman €2 cheaper than punk in the pub but the cans are priced around the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Can somebody tell me about packaging beer?

90k on a canning machine, ok.

Is a bottling line much less??

How about kegs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Geuze wrote: »
    Can somebody tell me about packaging beer?

90k on a canning machine, ok.

Is a bottling line much less??

How about kegs?

Bottling can be done by hand so virtually no upfront Investment. I've seen images of dungarvan bottling by hand. Not sure if it's still the case. Kegs are really just big bottles. Obviously there's a bit of Investment in the kegs themselves.

If the canning line has enough capacity it could create additional return by canning for other breweries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

you need to stop biting your finger-nails

:pac:

There is nothing worse than a man with long or even remotely longish fingernails.

"Man with lengthty fingernails doesnt know how to hang a picture frame"

...........Stares beardedly off into the distance

Picked up a pair of cans this evening. Having one now. It's pretty nice alright, draft is better I feel.
    €2.80 per can and stacked next to something like all day IPA (and a bigger can too), just not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

slayerking wrote: »
    €2.80 per can and stacked next to something like all day IPA (and a bigger can too), just not sure.
    Not shilling for Black's of Kinsale Black IPA, but... I can get a 500ml bottle of quality craft Irish 5% ABV beer for 5c more & it's fresh :eek:

Beeronomics, I'm a craftoholic on a budget, 'tis a no-brainer for me & hopefully contributing to the evolution of this wonderful thing of ours (hic)

I do believe I am under the affluence of inchohol :D

Slán ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Loved Metal Man on tap any time I've had it.

Had a can when I first saw it. Not impressed, considering what I'd paid for it. Especially considering the drinks I had either side of it.

Gave it another chance this weekend. Not impressed again.

On the Irish scale I can get a bottle of Porterhouse Hophead 330ml for in or around €2. More malt and more hops (to my taste-buds anyway).

In the same price bracket as Founders, Sierra Nevada, BrewDog, a can of Metal Man Pale Ale doesn't even chart I'm afraid (in my opinion obviously).

Maybe they've got some good stuff coming down the line, I've heard good things about their prototypes etc but I shudder to think what they'd charge for a 6 or 7% IPA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Finally got around to trying the Metal Man Cans. Very nice. Tasty and loved the burst of hops when I opened the can. I think 4 for €10 is reasonable enough, I don't begrudge them that. Hopefully see them add their seasonals to their Canned range!

• Advertisement

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Finally got around to trying the Metal Man Cans. Very nice. Tasty and loved the burst of hops when I opened the can. I think 4 for €10 is reasonable enough, I don't begrudge them that. Hopefully see them add their seasonals to their Canned range!

I'm not so sure they'll be doing seasonals in cans, not for a long while anyway. I would imagine it's a lot of hassle to get the cans made and shipped. They got 100,000 of the Pale Ale made for the first order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I'm not so sure they'll be doing seasonals in cans, not for a long while anyway. I would imagine it's a lot of hassle to get the cans made and shipped. They got 100,000 of the Pale Ale made for the first order.

How is it a lot of hassle? Simply part of what they have signed up for. Canning and shipping is part of what they do now.

I would imagine it's a lot of hassle to get the cans made and shipped.
    I think there may be a way of doing stick-on wraps for smaller batches, rather than getting the whole lot printed in advance.

JPA wrote: »
    How is it a lot of hassle? Simply part of what they have signed up for. Canning and shipping is part of what they do now.

They would have to pay someone to specially make/print cans for the seasonals and then have them delivered. Doing that for small batches may not be economical. But as BN suggests, maybe stickers might be an option. Although I'd say that has the potential of looking awful if not done correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

They would have to pay someone to specially make/print cans for the seasonals and then have them delivered. Doing that for small batches may not be economical. But as BN suggests, maybe stickers might be an option. Although I'd say that has the potential of looking awful if not done correctly.

Sticker works wonders for Beavertown. But their design aesthetic is always spot on.

2119.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Only place I've found this nearby is charging €11 for 4 cans. I won't be taking the man up on that offer!

Advertisement