Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back filling window cill

Options
  • 09-12-2014 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm just woundering would this have been normal practice in older houses where the DPC is wrapped up at the back of the cill and concrete shuttered in to fill the gap between inner leaf and cill with no insulation at back of cill.
    Sorry pic is just a rough drawing

FFFD02E4-8FCD-4C82-B1F9-31970DDBB9F0.jpg

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

yes it would have been.
    in that pic though, most cills would have been supported on the inner leaf, so a lot less of a pour.

in most houses from the 00's onwards a strip if insulation would have been incorporated before pouring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

Right, thanks for that, my house was built in 2009 and exactly as the picture is is the way mine was finished with the slabs and that. I seem to be getting a good bit of condensation on my windows and was woundering if the cold surface of the concrete backfill would create it but if that was common practice one time I wonder is it something esle. Ive done everything to eliminate moisture and all vents are open(4" duct in each room). I wounder could it be my windows. There double glazed.

fiestaman wrote: »
    Right, thanks for that, my house was built in 2009 and exactly as the picture is is the way mine was finished with the slabs and that. I seem to be getting a good bit of condensation on my windows and was woundering if the cold surface of the concrete backfill would create it but if that was common practice one time I wonder is it something esle. Ive done everything to eliminate moisture and all vents are open(4" duct in each room). I wounder could it be my windows. There double glazed.

I would say its very highly likely its the concrete spud thats causing the problem.

its a terrible piece of workmanship for a house in 2009 !!!!
    what has been created is a serious thermal bridge at every window, and made worse because of the internal insulation which is focusing the vapour to the windows.

Id suggest, if possible and you have enough depth, to remove the window boards, incorporate a dpc over and a strip of aeroboard as wide as possible and then reinstall the window boards.
    probably a complete headache depending how well the boards are plastered in.

Exactly as I thought, bad workmanship as usual. I thought about lifting the slab at the window board, I don't have any window board anywhere. If I lift that I think I'd have about 2" depth. I don't really see any other option other than gutting the whole slabs of concrete but that would be some job I'd say. What way would the DPC work underneath the insulation, it wouldn't have anywhere to go so it would just be a sheet layed under I suppose?

0034F37B-F9E5-40B2-AA75-01DB5512CCBF.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Id say swapping out the conc slabs may be easier than you think! They should come out in one piece.

Looking at that condensation, why not try it on one window to see the difference. Remove the conc slab and replace it with a block of insulated plasterboard from Xtratherm with a window board over it...

Looking at that sketch if very careful you may have minimal disruption...

Any idea on how they have closed the cavity on the vertical and at the head?

• Advertisement

Jesus I think it would be a big job, I'd say it would need kangooing. Inner leaf return outward as far as I remember with a gap between it and outer leaf. Don't know about the top. There isn't any damp around the window just condensation.

I've since found out that there is a 1" foil back insulated board at the back of each window cill. The block layer told me he insulated them but I opened one up in rear porch and seen it myself. I didn't see the insulation at the time so presumed it wasn't there. Still have the condensation and have opened up a previous thread.

Could you redraw the initial detail to scale again with this new info

Advertisement