Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apartment Attic conversion

• 18-12-2014 9:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭

Hey guys I'm thinking about converting the attic in my apartment. I live in a 5 storey walk up (top floor obviously) and I have a hatch to the attic in my hall way (inside my apartment, not in the shared space).

I currently use it for storing boxes and christmas crap. Usual attic affair. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience in converting an attic like this. Any reccomendations / suggestions or blockers?

I'm trying to contact the mgmt co about putting roof windows in but I'm guessing thats going to be a no-no and I'm betting it will lead to me being responsible for roof leaks in the whole building or something.

As this is purely cosmentic changes and no exterior changes will be made (unless I get permission for windows) would I be right in assuming I will not need any planning permission?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

You need to speak to a professional specifically about your project, planning permission, FSC, DAC, may all be needed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

You need to speak to a professional specifically about your project, planning permission, FSC, DAC, may all be needed.
    +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭ted1

My old landlord tried it and the MC said no. That while he had access to the attic he didn't own it and it wasn't his to convert j

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Ah good to know! I have access and storage use and my water tank is up there so while I did ask my MC about windows I never thought to ask them about whether or not I could convert it!

Good catch! Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Came a cross this scenario once or twice in the past, usually the contract for the top storey apartments make reference to the apartment owner having exclusive use of the space (similar to the usual arrangement fr balconies etc.) but the space remains the property of the management co. Its a pretty standard clause in most apartment contracts, so maybe check that out first.

We did, just the once, find ourselves designing an attic conversion in such a scenario where there was no clauses to that effect & the management co. allowed the conversion go ahead. worked out well as it gave a great view out over Howth.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
Advertisement