Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air leak in apartment

Options
  • 06-12-2014 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi,
    So my room is constantly cold and I found the source to be gaps in the window frames. Right now I've used some clothes to stop the gap but that is a temporary solution.
    Is this something the landlord can and should look at?

I could use caulks but not sure if that's allowed...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Landlord should fill the gaps with cement. If he dosent then get a can of expanding foam and do it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman_321

Landlord should fill the gaps with cement. If he dosent then get a can of expanding foam and do it yourself

Grand, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

be careful as it expands its very tacky and expands further than you think,wear surgical gloves or throw away gloves and trim when dry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

what was the ber rating when you moved in

Who is required to get a BER done?
    Landlords and their agents are required by law to have a building energy rating done whenever they offer a property for sale or rent, unless their premises are among a small number of excluded properties (See below);

How long is it valid for? The BER Certificate will be valid for 10 years unless the property is materially altered within that time;

When will a landlord need to get a BER carried out?
    From January 2009 landlords will be required to provide a BER to prospective tenants. The BER is required at the time of sale or rental only. This means that if you currently have a tenant in place, the BER will not be required until the next time you make the property available for rental after January 2009.

braddun wrote: »

Landlords and their agents are required by law to have a building energy rating done whenever they offer a property for sale or rent, unless their premises are among a small number of excluded properties (See below);

How long is it valid for? The BER Certificate will be valid for 10 years unless the property is materially altered within that time;

From January 2009 landlords will be required to provide a BER to prospective tenants. The BER is required at the time of sale or rental only. This means that if you currently have a tenant in place, the BER will not be required until the next time you make the property available for rental after January 2009.

I actually do not know. I will have to ask the landlord I guess. What's the acceptable rating?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Eman_321 wrote: »
    I actually do not know. I will have to ask the landlord I guess. What's the acceptable rating?

There's no "acceptable rating" .... it's just like a washing machine, it can be A rated or G rated or anything in between.

I don't really see how knowing the ber rating has any impact in your issue though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hi,
    So my room is constantly cold and I found the source to be gaps in the window frames. Right now I've used some clothes to stop the gap but that is a temporary solution.
    Is this something the landlord can and should look at?

I could use caulks but not sure if that's allowed...

Can you post a picture? These gaps, are they window vents?

BryanF wrote: »
    Can you post a picture? These gaps, are they window vents?

I tried taking a picture there but the gaps aren't clearly visible.

But yeah separate to that there are window vents that I've also covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

braddun wrote: »

I'm failing to see how that helps OP. None of the above will cure his problem.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Do not block any vents. Quite apart from condensation or moisture issues which you will incur, don't forget about CO issues. To many people have died in recent years from that. Vents are there for a reason.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    Do not block any vents. Quite apart from condensation or moisture issues which you will incur, don't forget about CO issues. To many people have died in recent years from that. Vents are there for a reason.

That's a fair point, thanks. I don't think the leak is coming from there anyway. Window vents in the passageway but the passageway is nice and warm.

So I just tried using a caulk and I have to say I've done an absolute mess of the job. I can't reach the landlord always going to voicemail. Shouldn't the landlord be reachable?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

The vents should NOT be covered, this house was built with them to comply with Building regs.

And you should have contacted the landlord for approval BEFORE making alterations IMO

BryanF wrote: »
    The vents should NOT be covered, this house was built with them to comply with Building regs.

And you should have contacted the landlord for approval BEFORE making alterations IMO

I didn't seal the vents. Just the gaps in the windows. And as I said earlier the landlord isn't taking my calls nor is he replying to my text message :S

Advertisement