Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Cooking Club Week 48: Puff Pastry Straws

Options
  • 05-12-2014 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

These are quick and delicious pastry straws, perfect as finger food if you have people round for a few drinks over Christmas. They are ideal in that they can be made in advance and kept in the fridge overnight or frozen until ready to bake.

Ingredients: 320g Puff pastry
    100g Grated cheese
    English Mustard
    Slices Prosciutto/Pancetta
    An egg for glazing

IMG_4620-1.jpg

I use ready rolled puff pastry for these as it comes in the perfect shape (rectangle) although I do roll it a little longer and wider so the pastry is quite thin.

Spread the entire rectangle of pastry with mustard. I use a lot here as it mellows during cooking and isn’t quite as potent.

Sprinkle the grated cheese on the pastry half closest to you.

Place skinny strips of Prosciutto side by side on top of the cheese. 1/3 or ½ a slice is plenty. I should have rolled the pastry a little wider here and would have gotten more strips out of the pastry sheet.

IMG_4627.jpg

Fold the top half down over the lower half enclosing the filling. Give it a little roll with a rolling pin to secure the filling.

Using a pizza slice or knife, cut into strips (it helps to put little nicks along the bottom edge of the pastry in between each slice of prosciutto to give you an indication where to cut).

IMG_4628.jpg

Twist each strip a few times and place on a baking tray lined with parchment.

At this stage you can fridge or freeze the pastry straws. Cover well with cling film if you are going to freeze them.

IMG_4629.jpg

Preheat your oven to 200C. Brush the pastry straws with beaten egg just before putting them in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until puffed up and golden brown. If cooking from frozen they would need about 5 minutes more, just keep an eye on them.

Enjoy!

P.S. The variations to this recipe are endless but a few of my other favourites are pesto and grated mozzarella or cranberry sauce and blue cheese. You can also make Christmas mince straws as an alternative to serving mince pies!

IMG_4630.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Sorry title should read week 48 if someone can edit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Sorry title should read week 48 if someone can edit.

Done :)

I've made something similar before but not with prosciutto and mustard, yours look much nicer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

These look so simple and so fabulous. I'll definitely be making them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Nice! I've made these with cheese and spinach before and they were delicious. I'll definitely be trying the prosciutto and mustard. As you say it's a grand, handy one for the festive season and sounds like a crowd pleaser too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I made these tonight and they were gorgeous. Only problem with them were they were a bit too salty. I thought it'd be a good idea to sprinkle a little bit of sea salt on them before they went into the oven. Only problem was that my little boy saw me adding the salt and he had to help me (I always get him to help me when making dinner by letting him add the salt which I store in a jar), he always adds lots, and this time was no exception! :) Normally it's not a problem as he never puts more than I need, but this time he went too far! :D

Anyway, thanks OP they were lovely all the same. And as mentioned, I'd said they'd be great to experiment with.

330834.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Glad you liked them. Yeah with the ham you don't need to add extra salt. Also some cheddar can be pretty salty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Made these again tonight (no added salt!!) with Parma Ham, Mozzarella, Basil leaves, Green Olives, Balsamic, Sundried Tomatoes & Parmessan. Pretty much stuff I had. They were amazing.

You can really go wild with different combinations.

331592.JPG

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Those sound amazing, bazmo!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Ah we have a pot luck lunch at work on Wednesday! These will be perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Our work Christmas party started with drinks in a colleagues house. I brought these and they were devoured. Thanks OP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement