Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drawer runners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

Yip, these lads will have them.

http://www.woodworkers.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭RJunior

Thanks Quietman. I'll be getting my wood from them so I'll pick up my runners too. Didn't realise they supplied them.

Do you know if there's much room for error with these? My nightmare scenario is that I make my chest, make my drawers, fit the runner to the drawer, fit the receiver bracket to the inside of the chest and find that I'm too tight or too wide on my drawer width. Is there a few mms to play around with? I'm aware this looks like an amateur question but concerned my own cutting and measuring won't be sufficiently precise!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

Well I've fit them in a few units I've made and there hasn't been any issues really.

As far as any margin of error goes I'm not all that sure about them. The best advice i can give you is to sketch out what you want and mark down the measurements. You'll be able to see what sizes you need then and be less likely to make any mistakes like leaving out the width of the runners or whatever.

If something does go wrong I dont see why you can't disassemble the drawers and trim them down or pack out around the runners so they have something to fix to.

All in all as long as you don't glue anything before checking it fits or cut your drawers way too small you should be alright.

I know a lot of what i said sounds like something you'd tell a child but I do jobs the same way and rarely come up against a problem that can't be relatively easily solved.

Yeah cheers for that. I'll pick up a set before doing my plans and then aim to be precise on my cutting.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

RJunior wrote: »
    Yeah cheers for that. I'll pick up a set before doing my plans and then aim to be precise on my cutting.
    Normally Id make up the carcase first, then with drawer runners in hand I would measure up the exact width I need to make the drawer. Then and only then would I cut the drawer. You could do up plans and make up a cutting list but all that goes out the door in the real world when you don't have table saws and all that :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

just a little trick when working out your sizes....with those drawer runner you are told to make the width of the drawer 25mm smaller then the in side dimensions of the carcases. ..I normally allow 26mm or 27mm.....its easy to pack out the runner with some edging tape if it's a little loose...... if you work to 25mm and its tight you have to cut down your drawer.....noyeks and frank flannigans also sell them..........

Thanks lads, some useful advice there

Advertisement