Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a BER assessor in Galway

Options
  • 08-10-2013 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭

I need to get a BER assessment done.

Can anyone recommend a good assessor, either in this thread or by PM?

What I'm looking for: professional, knowledgeable, thorough, reliable, reasonably priced.

The SEAI website lists 49 assessors covering the Galway/Connaught area, but I have no way of knowing which of them are any good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I used <use PM>

There are one or two others on that list (including the previous owner of my house) who I would avoid like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

Fey! wrote: »
    <use PM>

There are one or two others on that list (including the previous owner of my house) who I would avoid like the plague.

I can second <use PM>, sound lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

The guys at <use PM> did a good job for us recently

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Gabico

Used <use PM> from the list and he was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

What's the average price paid for a BER nowadays?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

My impression is that the typical cost is €100-150.

I believe there's a €50 grant available from the SEAI to do a BER assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lamotu

Hi there. Looking for a knowledgeable BER assessor in Galway area. Specifically, someone who will advise on whether it makes sense to have air tight seals, type of ventilation systems etc.. So not just looking to tick the box, and get a cert.

I struggle with paying >€1000 for airtight seals, then putting in a €3-4K ventilation system to allow enough air in to prevent stale air and mold. All thoughts welcome.

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

lamotu wrote: »
    Hi there. Looking for a knowledgeable BER assessor in Galway area. Specifically, someone who will advise on whether it makes sense to have air tight seals, type of ventilation systems etc.. So not just looking to tick the box, and get a cert.

I struggle with paying >€1000 for airtight seals, then putting in a €3-4K ventilation system to allow enough air in to prevent stale air and mold. All thoughts welcome.

Thanks

2 differnt things: Uncontrolled drafts v ventilation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Thanks

I'd prefer to struggle once and get it right than to struggle every year to pay for heating in a draughty house:)

Thanks Bryan. I assumed that not much air would be exchanged around windows, but your post suggests that it could be substantial vs the air exchange from a HVR system. Have I got your point correctly?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Thanks Bryan. I assumed that not much air would be exchanged around windows, but your post suggests that it could be substantial vs the air exchange from a HVR system. Have I got your point correctly?

Leaks/drafts/ poorly sealed junctions can mean that the quantity of heated air in a house is lost 7+ times in an hour (ACH)
    Modern methods of building have seen this go to below 1 ACH

Now, You still need ventilation to breath: your options are holes in wall/windows (not very clever after insulation the heated envelope or By mechanical means.

In a new build I'd recommend MVHR combined with the highest levels of air-tightness & insulation.

Please have a read around the forum (use the search function) as all this Is covered previously.best of luck in your build.

Thanks BryanF. Mine is a renovation and an extension (new windows, doors, external insulation and pumped cavity on old part). It will not be airtight all round, but I guess it would be the right thing to do to get as airtight as possible.

Still looking for a very good BER assessor, if someone could PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Techhead86

I am also looking for a good BER assessor in the Galway area. Its for a new build.

If anyone can PM me a recommendation it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭milout

Hi Guys,

Ditto for looking for a good BER assessor in Galway

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

Please pm me name also
    Please please

• Registered Users Posts: 3 seeker66

Also looking for recommendations for the Co Galway area, and help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 3 seeker66

Also looking for recommendations for the Co Galway area, tnks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

seeker66 wrote: »
    Also looking for recommendations for the Co Galway area, tnks

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 24 maxwellhouse

Hi
    I'm looking for same too please.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GalwayMagpie

Hi also looking for BER assessor after getting some work done on SEAI grant. PM please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 adrianm1234

Looking for same in Galway.Any recommendations please and thanks. New build Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MARYGAL34

Hi, I am also looking for a BER accessor in Galway please, new build. Can you PM me any recommendations. Thanks

Hi. My plan was to get advice from a BER assessor in advance of doing any work on house insulation etc. When I could not find someone to advise I went ahead with the work and only recently got an assessor to do the report for the SEAI Grant. I pm'ed the BER assessor I used and found good to people looking in the last 2 months.

If anyone is still in need just pm me or perhaps someone from the last 2 months as I am not often on line.

Lamotu

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Hi, I'm looking for good BER assessor in Galway. Could you please pm recommendation. Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 clarelady

Hi can you PM me guys name in Galway area too please

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement