Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

99 astra overheating

Options
  • 12-10-2014 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

The fan isn't coming on at all, I seem to be loosing coolant. the temp isn't going up in the car, but if I squeeze the hose pipes it does go up. The rad doesn't get that hot either. Any ideas what could be wrong? Thermostat rad ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Waterson

Could be so many things. Coolant leak, blockage, faulty water pump, thermostat, bad fan, bad wiring, bad temp switch. Have a nose around for an external leak first off. When the car is up to temp, carefully check across he radiator for even heat flow, (make sure not to put hands near fan). Remove 2 pin connector from fan and apply a direct 12 V supply to the pins and see if fan spools up...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

irishguy wrote: »
    The fan isn't coming on at all, I seem to be loosing coolant. the temp isn't going up in the car, but if I squeeze the hose pipes it does go up. The rad doesn't get that hot either. Any ideas what could be wrong? Thermostat rad ?

Is there an external leak ? How much coolant are you loosing ? Those astras were prone to headgasket failure but after fifteen years i would imagine it was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Is there an external leak ? How much coolant are you loosing ? Those astras were prone to headgasket failure but after fifteen years i would imagine it was done.

There is no external leak. I think its being evaporated, the fan isn't running at all. Its loosing abot 1inch dept of water after 30mins drivin . I replaced the head gasket a few years ago.

There is no external leak. I think its being evaporated, the fan isn't running at all. Its loosing abot 1inch dept of water after 30mins drivin . I replaced the head gasket a few years ago.

If its not loosing it externally there is only one place its going im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

i had a 99 astra ad same problems.was losing lots of coolant and hose pipe was so hard to squeeze and im afraid its head gasket sorry

• Advertisement

i had a 99 astra ad same problems.was losing lots of coolant and hose pipe was so hard to squeeze and im afraid its head gasket sorry
    oh and it cost 350 to replace so up to u if u think its worth repairing.i just got rid for parts as the car was worth nothing

oh and it cost 350 to replace so up to u if u think its worth repairing.i just got rid for parts as the car was worth nothing

Be doin well to replace a headgasket for €350

Be doin well to replace a headgasket for €350
    depends on who u know:P

Advertisement